NASCAR 2012 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2012

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Dec 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I didn't say that at all. Read it again :)

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i did. you did state that. seems we are in agreement. sorry to have dug in a bit too much.

pcb

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    How do you explain Nelson Piquet Jr.??

BTST look at Steve Kinser - stepped right into a top ride and basically stepped right out of it - couldn't grasp it at all. Yeah, I know, that was 17 years ago, but still..

I guess you also have to look at the formal backgrounds of Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart - they both came from dirt midgets, Jimmie Johnson came from off-road racing, Sam Hornish has a simiar background to Danica and he's respectable.

You also have to look at the team: let's look at Kurt Busch. Like him or hate him, he took the same skills with him from a top team to (for lack of a better term) a bottom team and couldn't make it work. Same for Bobby LaBonte, David Reutemann, Casey Mears, David Ragan, we know who owns Danica's stuff, we DON'T know how good it is, but I would expect it to be better than the aforementioned drivers equipment.

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    No problem :)

I really enjoy talking NASCAR with everyone here and if I had a goal it would be to help build interest so people could find the enjoyment that I have.
    I know its not for everybody but the more one knows about it the better it becomes.

You can put the very best driver in mediocre equipment and he won't win.

You can put a mediocre driver in the best equipment and he won't win.

The best driver in the best equipment driving for the best team wins. That combination fluctuates weekend to weekend with the most consistent one becoming the champion.

Right now there are only about ten or so teams in contention for the win and most of those are in the Chase ( KB is out but contending for wins ).

The drivers you named did begin in other series and I think JJ even raced Moto X at one time but they still came up through the ranks of Stock cars. To be fair, you need to compare Danica's first full year in Nationwide compared to Stewarts or Gordons or JJ's first year in the Busch Series. I think the commentators did that with her and Montoya and found that her performance exceeded his.

I don't know what to say about Piquet Jr other than he is a very talented driver with loads of potential in NASCAR. He is taking a different path than Danica though and getting valuable experience competing in the trucks and some Nationwide. If and when he makes it to Sprint Cup he will have more experience under his belt than Danica that is jumping right in next year with limited experience.

5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    NASCAR Issues Penalties From Sunday's Event at Phoenix: NASCAR announced penalties to two teams that compete in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rule infractions at Phoenix International Raceway.

Jeff Gordon, driver of the #24 car, was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) altercation with another competitor on the race track during the race and has been fined $100,000, docked 25 championship driver points and put on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. Rick Hendrick, owner of the #24 car, has also been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points. Alan Gustafson, crew chief of the #24 car, also was found to be in violation of Section 9-4A (at all events, crew chief assumes responsibility of his driver, car owner and team members) and has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Brian Pattie, crew chief of the #15 car, violated Sections 12-1 and 9-4A and has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

All of these violations occurred during the Nov. 11 event at PIR.

Statement From Robin Pemberton, NASCAR Vice President of Competition: "Following a thorough analysis of the actions that took place during Sunday's race at Phoenix International Raceway, we have issued penalties based upon our review. The decisions announced today cover NASCAR's full assessment of penalties for the incidents that occurred. There's no doubt that a unique set of circumstances combined with a championship battle on the line resulted in raw emotions coming into play. We consider the penalties appropriate and those involved understand our decision and we expect them to abide by them."(NASCAR)(11-12-2012)

Hendrick Motorsports Statement: Hendrick Motorsports will not appeal sanctions announced today by NASCAR regarding the #24 Sprint Cup Series team and driver Jeff Gordon. "I've always respected Jeff for standing his ground," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "We also respect that NASCAR needs to police the sport and send a message when situations like this occur. It's been a great year, and we're going to put our focus on finishing in a positive way this weekend."
    "I take responsibility for my actions on the racetrack," Gordon said. "I accept NASCAR's decision and look forward to ending the season on a high note at Homestead."(HMS)(11-12-2012)

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Everyone expected those penalties and fines but I'm having a hard time accepting that Bowyers actions were not deemed inappropriate under Section Section 12-1 aswell. It was clear he was looking for a fight as he ran up pitlane like a "junkyard dog".

Hey its NASCAR and I still enjoy it every now and again, racing is racing.

7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Point being, there is no absolute direct comparison, different drivers from different series come into other series, sometimes they do OK, and sometimes they suck, and you cannot draw a reason as to why that is, there are far far too many variables.

8. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    That is very true.

Thing is there was a comparison made between just her and Cole Whitt and I thought I gave some valid reasons why Cole is ahead of her in points.
    Then we moved on to comparing her to all the drivers and like you have stated, there are too many variables.

In other news, I just saw where NASCAR has announced that the Truck Series will race next year on Tony Stewart's Eldora dirt track
    and the Nationwide Series will replace the Montreal race with one at Mid-Ohio. :)

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    looks like NASCAR is going after the swing state of Ohio :p

I'm actually looking forward to both of those races. Mid-O in an Nationwide car will be a hoot.

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    While I've watched a few highlights from Stewart's Prelude to a Dream race, I haven't seen much of that track.
    Isn't it very short and how do you think it will be for a truck race?

I did once go to a Goodys Dash race on a dirt track in Savannah. Crazy little red clay track with no guard rail except on the front stretch.
    Cars were running off into trees and almost the spectator parking lot :eek:

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oh it will be a wreckfest for sure. Eldora is a half mile.

ARCA runs at DuQuion on dirt, put on a decent show. edit: they also run the Springfield (IL) Mile on dirt.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d31XhVm25E0[/ame]

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I wonder if Clint thinks he owes Jeff payback. If he does, I wouldn't expect to see him take it out on the #24 next week.

Btw, Jeff wasn't in the middle of that fight, I thought he was in the tool box getting beat by one crew member that knew he was there, but turns out Jeff got pulled out of the mess as it started, so it was almost exclusively crew/crew.

13. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Circa 1989-90 a good friend of mine was leading the Springfield ARCA race when he overheated and had to drop out. All he did was race dirt, never on asphalt.
    Now that I think about it I think he was a hired shoe to race there a few times after that, did well but didn't win.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm still slightly pissed that I never managed to get to DuQuoin when I lived in STL all those years :(

in NASCAR news, truck race is winding down with a championship still to be decided.

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    That was some pretty exciting truck racing and I'm super happy how it ended :D

Sat and Sun should be more of the same.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that was a great race :D congrats to Gale and Buescher.

feel bad for Ty Dillon though.

Kyle Larson is a hell of a driver, a bit of a rookie mistake but man, he's been in contention the last two truck races, won K&N East...he's the next next big thing :)

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'm thinking that if Ty Dillon had given him the bottom, just a lane or so, Larson would have completed the pass and they both would've continued on. If Ty knew he was going to dive bomb the turn just like he had been doing the whole race and went to the bottom to block and break his momentum, then Ty put himself in a precarious position that ultimately cost him.

I think the spotter should've told Ty that Larson is coming fast. I think Ty should've conceded that pass for the bigger picture which was the championship. Being unaware of where Larson was or getting defensive against him was just as much a reason they wrecked as Larson going low. Hindsight is everything in this case and I'll bet Ty is more sorry he didn't do something different than Larson.

Larson did exactly what he needed to do to try and win the race. Ty didn't do what he needed to win the championship.

Next up Nationwide!

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I have to agree. Its a rookie mistake though to try to hold onto spots that you might get back later. Look at Sadler @ Phoenix, got too aggressive and ended up wrecked. There's a saying - "He was right, dead right, as he sped along, but he was just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong." I'm pretty sure he realized it once out of the truck. I doubt he'll repeat that mistake again.

The facial tension Kyle Busch went through when asked about the last lap was pretty strong.

19. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    'It doesn't matter'.

The way he said that.. wow.. he must be going thru some serious coaching to hold back.

This may be the only time I agreed with what Kyle DIDN'T say - he WAS forced into the wall, he was there - he had a lane - he was moved over on.
    I say that and I am NOT Kyle's biggest fan.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it was a tough situation, Ty couldn't really back off because he needed every spot (point), IMO Larson should have been aware of who was in the championship hunt and given a bit of room but you can't blame him for going for it at the end of a race.

I agree, you could see Kyle biting his tongue. part of me says it was just good racing, part of me thinks Cale was a bit too dirty there. but hey, it was a hell of a show!

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I think part of his coaching is to not look back, and being asked that question, put him looking back. Which explains the face. Kudos for not just walking away. Kyle Busch is developing off the track, although I feel he's not quite the same on track after his suspension for wrecking Hornaday.

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

go BK

go roger!!

stay dodge!!!

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1

congrats to the Captain!

24. ARTNNYC