NASCAR 2012 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2012

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Dec 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    In the past Nascar has susspended drivers for actions like this, for a race or two.

Wonder if Nascar would have the balls to suspend Jeff for Miami next week ?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMHO they need to park him for next week. maybe Bowyer too but definitely Gordon.

3. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    LOL end of the season and plenty frustrating for several.

There is a history between those two especially going back to that Martinsville race where the #15 dive bombed the corner and wrecked Gordon.

#24 was just running 5th and got rubbed into a flat by the #15 who did it on purpose.

On one hand it is stupid. On the other hand there is only so much pushing around someone can take. Good thing we come with two hands :)

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what a shambles.

5. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    people can get killed from that kind of bs behavior.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i will be happy to be stood corrected if BK can pull off a championship for dodge and penske.

7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow, the 24 and the 48 really know how to create a buzz for tonight's Beyond 200: The Hendrick Motorsports Story. :rolleyes:

Geaux Keswhuteverski!

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    He's done a pretty sound job, trying to finish, maybe got in his head, as he kept going back on those last restarts(All caused by chevies?)

I think Brad would get a better result next week if he was under more pressure.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Gordan wasn't in that pile up of crew members, he was inside the tool cart behind them(Still getting beat on though by a #15 crew member).

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I do not know what radio transmissions where going on. NASCAR told the #24 team to park it, I don't know if Gordan got the message, if there was time for him to get the message, and if there was time, his crew not telling him until after the fact.

This case is a little different from Kyle Busch last year - Kyle did it under yellow, and had a crew member screaming into his radio to knock it off. This was done under green, but was very poor timing doing it as the leader almost took the white, and Gordan having been black flagged.

It did - give Johnson an extra point. I'd really like to know what was going on those Chevy radios...

NASCAR does let some one wreck some one else if they don't like the way the other guy drives, but doing it that late in the race, when everyone is fighting for their last position, is much more dangerous.

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I heard over the radio the #24 was black flagged and then all hell broke loose but in NASCAR payback is a *****. All I saw was Gordon exiting his car taking off his helmet and then getting blindsided by some idiot and then the tussle. Next image was Bowyer running like a macho tough guy who can give yet cannot take, I lost what little respect I had for him.

Frankly I thought Bowyers move trying to pass below the racing line was ignorant, saw it all day and was disgusted, but then again Gordons move SEEMS to be very questionable. Thankfully BK came through the mess with a solid lead going into the last race. I like JJ but do not want to see him take six in a row.

11. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I can't stop laughing at KB who dominated the race only to lose on the laps that count :D

And once again he fails to give a post race interview ( poor sport ).

And for the Danica haters, she drove a solid race on a tough track and was in 13th place on the last restart only to get wrecked intentionally by the #31.
    That set off a chain of events that was just as bad as the Gordon - Boyer incident. In her post race interview she took it all in stride ( good sport )

Homestead is going to be exciting.

12. ferraripete

i am a danica hater but she did manage to stay out of trouble. she will get a good result every now and then as long as she avoids racing anyone and there is attrition well ahead of her. she is funny to listen to on the race buddy...she has a real problem if anyone get close or put a wheel on her. she will learn to stfu or she will spend her laps getting back at the offenders. she drives pretty cleanly but is dead slow most of the time considering her equipment.

the press however is very happy with her 17th.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #289 texasmr2, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Good way to start off an opinion worthy of consideration but everyone deserves an opinion.

So you admit she has good results and avoids trouble yet you have an issue with her voicing her opinion like the male drivers do? Then to top it off you recognize that her equipment has much to do with her subpar performance.

Please explain?

EDIT: Not trying to be confrontational just sitting around the campfire and getting frisky and enjoying the conversation. ;)

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Up until NASCAR her entire racing career and total experience has been in open wheel cars where two cars touching is an absolute no no. Her discipline was to race in such a way as to make sure she didn't come in contact with another car in the front, side or back. It is something ingrained in an open wheel driver's mind.

Now she has switched to NASCAR where trading paint and rubbing is racing is not only normal but often necessary to advance your position. Now she has to learn bump drafting or tandem racing. She has to learn how to " lean " on another car to protect or advance her position. She has to learn how to use the " chrome horn " on a slower car that is holding her up to root it out of her way. All of that is acceptable in NASCAR but absolutely frowned upon in open wheel.

She also has to learn the difference between what contact is " just racing " and what is beyond that and done in a malicious way. Last week when the #48 and #2 were racing hard at the end and the #2 got a little loose and almost wrecked them both, that was just good hard clean racing that was on the very edge. Yesterday's race when the #15 just ran up and rubbed the #24 and the #31 turned Danica, those were both easily avoidable by those drivers and was done on purpose. The #15 was closer to being just stupid while the #31 was malicious. She is being coached by her team that she can't be pushed around and she needs to stand up for herself on the track otherwise they will run her over all day long. The unwritten rule of NASCAR is " race like you want to be raced " so if a driver gets rough with her, she needs to get rough back. If they race her clean she should return the respect and race them clean as well. Again the #15 vs #24 goes back to five or six times the #15 crossed the line of respectful racing and the #24 called him on it. That is how they do it in NASCAR. It is entirely different than a series that hands out penalties for blocking another driver :)

That is a lot for anyone new to absorb and put into play especially when you have to switch from such opposing disciplines. She has to be vocal in order to learn and her team has to continue to teach her. She has a LOT to learn but has done a remarkable job so far.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree with everything except the last sentence. I think she's done a decent job but not remarkable.

she's been summarily destroyed by Cole Whitt (her teammate) this season, not to mention some of the other partial season/one off JRM drivers.

so yes she's on a steep learning curve and doing reasonably well, but at the same time she's not extracting anywhere close to maximum performance from her equipment/team.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Agreed! I honestly have expected more from her yet there are many factors involved.

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    The difference between her and Cole Whitt is his entire experience is in the modified, dirt track, stock car realm while her's is open wheel. The driving style, the mechanics, the terminology, methods of communication and the overall culture is vastly different between the two. In those terms, Cole Whitt has had MUCH more experience than Danica and is a big part of the difference. Cole has always been in familiar territory while Danica pretty much has to start from scratch. Comparing those two is like apples and oranges. I think it would be better to compare her with others that have traveled the same path like Montoya, Franchitti and Hornish.

The other reason Cole is so far ahead of her in points is Danica had several DNFs many of which were not her fault. Starting with the Daytona race where Cole wrecked her while attempting to tandem in the turn. That was not her fault and had nothing to do with her ability.

If a bunch of cars wreck in front and she has no where to go and gets wrecked it's not her fault and has very little to do with her ability. Other than abusing her tires or missing a shift, most mechanical problems have little to do with her ability.

The road course race she led and had a top three finish going before JV slammed her in the rear and sent her off course for something like a 12th place finish. She had beaten Cole only to get taken out by something not of her doing.

If we go back and take a look at all of her races this year we would find that many of her poor finishes were dictated by something not of her doing nor because of her ability. It's the outside influences that put her 10th in points and isn't a true reflection of her ability. It is just a result of the racing as it happens just like it happened to Jeff Gordon this year.

18. ferraripete

no...i mean that she has a very fast hot rod but still manages to be well off the pace.

i also think her results have been poor at best...both sprint and nationwide. i also know her old driving coach and we have had interesting discussions of the princess. :)

no i am clearly not a fan but i did commend her for staying out of trouble.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I cannot disagree with any of that.

20. ferraripete

chas, you are correct about trevor and a bunch of other true rookies.

don't forget that danica has 50+ roundy round events (with a top team) under her belt as well as countless test days. jb told me she was quite the work in progress. at least now she appears coachabvle but that was not the caes under jb.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Did anyone else jot down her number other than me in DJ's commecal?

All I get is voicemail! :(

22. ferraripete

i thought about calling too ;)

23. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Countless test days?

C'mon man, NASCAR allows very few test days on tracks they race. I think its four or something close to that.

The team can test as many times as they want on tracks that the series doesn't race on. While she may gain a little experience testing on a track like Disney, New Smyrna or Rockingham the experience she really needs comes from being on the tracks she races on. Learning corner entry, pit road entry and all that really important stuff doesn't come by testing on tracks she doesn't race on. Its probably more mechanical testing than seat time although every bit helps.

Her real test days are the 11 cup races she ran and should be treated as such and not as competitive racing.

24. ferraripete

so you are telling me she has no time at CMP or the rock? guess again. i don't claim to know all but i know some.