The 599 Manual Transmission Myth | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The 599 Manual Transmission Myth

Discussion in '612/599' started by 575Mike, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    What exactly are you saying? Why was it hard/difficult/different from the 575, 360 and BMWs? I would know tomorrow but very curious on what exactly you are talking about...

2. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    I had an F430 with manual and I didn't really like it so sold it. I am a clutch-mania. I bought a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed manual just to enjoy the chirps on 2nd and 3rd gears. Also, have a 7 speed manual 991 Carrera S.... but didn't really like the F430 manual. I loved the F355 Manual. The main difference is that in F430, the engine controller somehow intervenes when gear is being shifted (clutch depressed) and it "pauses" between shifts. This is the same with the new Carrera S. But the Mustang GT 5.0 doesn't have this problem. It's just simply raw. So, I wonder... Is 599 the old style or the new style where engine intervenes here and there?

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

I've driven an m5 SMG. Same engine/tranny. It was ok but I would absolutely want a manual. The shifter is jerky and it's just not fun pulling paddles.

4. DAF63

DAF63 Rookie

Sep 24, 2012
    I have a 599 manual, which I upgraded with the HGTE package and the Capristo exhaust system. I have had many cars but this one is, without question, the best road car I've ever owned or driven. The manual is not for everyone. It takes a long time for the transmission to get warm, and smooth shifts require double clutch unless you're driving it balls to the walls. But it is an immensely pleasurable and satisfying car to drive, and getting it right is much more rewarding than letting the computer bang through the gears for you. Another plus - your wife/girlfriend won't want to drive it. My only (small) complaint is that the brake pedal is set a little high to allow smooth heal & toe downshifts, unlike the 430 manual which has a great pedal set up. But that aside, it's just about perfect.

5. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Quick question.

So the manettino settings in the manual 599/430 affects the engine map and diff settings then?

6. DAF63

DAF63 Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

I have and drive one and it is superb, but you have to DRIVE IT. The car doesn't drive itself, and with that much power and torque your feet will be a little busier than in, say, a 355 or 360 manual. But once you get it right - few things in road driving are more satisfying, IMO.

7. DAF63

DAF63 Rookie

Sep 24, 2012
    On the 599 manual, when set in Sport or Rain mode, the computer will cut a little power between shifts, so an extra blip is sometimes required for smooth shifts. The transmission works very well in race mode but is at its best in CST/off, where aggressive, smooth shifts are made very easily and whole the car really gets planted. It may make your hands sweat a little but that is the best way to drive the car. Just make sure you put the computer back on if it starts to rain.

8. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I would say shifting has more to do with driving than throttle and brake inputs. Steering would be #1 on my list, followed by shifting and then throttle and braking. It really does not take that much skill to learn to use the throttle and brake properly.

It takes a lot more skill (and hence, enjoyment and satisfaction when done properly) to shift a manual transmission properly than it does to use only use the throttle and brake, of course due to the fact that you have to use all three in unison to do it correctly.

If you do not like manual gearboxes or simply prefer automated ones, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But to state that shifting has nothing to do with driving is simply ignorant.

9. 360stradaleboy

May 24, 2011
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Ayrton S.
    +1

10. 360stradaleboy

May 24, 2011
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Ayrton S.
    You don't have to keep knocking down the ferrari's manual transmission. Everyone has their own opinion and i get that but we heard yours the first time.

I love both the F1 and the stick both are great. Im only a teenager so my opinion probably isnt worth much on this site but i prefer the Manual (plus the manual in ferraris are much better than that in porsche's or BMW's). Those are to easy to drive. It's fun to challenge yourself in driving a car YOURSELF instead of having the computer do half the work by shifting.

So i see where your coming from because everyone has a right to state their own opinion and myself, along with many others, respect that opinion, just don't necesarily appreciate the gearbox being thrown down so much

11. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    I think that's adjustable?

12. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Love mine too- but I rarely feel a gate (maybe 1 out of 20 gear changes?). Is this different from "normal" gated shifters?

13. chad12

chad12 Rookie

Jun 15, 2010
    videos please

14. bondmarc

bondmarc Rookie

Jun 7, 2010
    France
    Waouw, is that cuoi leather of darker ?

15. bondmarc

bondmarc Rookie

Jun 7, 2010
    France
    I made a few comments in another 599 manual thread as I hadn't seen this one.
    For me it is will a piece of museum in 20 years. I don't know how it is to drive it. I have never driven a 599. I own a 550 and 328 and I have driven a 430 with F1 which was a nice experience. I understand the argument about the fact that 599 were developed with the F1 and the manual cars might be less responsive or precise for that matter, but still I would love to own one. It must be quite special !

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am thinking the manual tranny would be a better deal for a daily driver in town than the f1. my 360cs is literally a challenge to drive in stop/go city traffic, so i try to avoid that. but a manual like i have in the 456mgt makes a fine daily driver in town (ok not as easy as an automatic but still). and parking with an f1 is always a bit iffy - much prefer that process in a manual.

any thoughts on city driving from those who have a manual 599?

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ross- No problem driving my F1 575M in traffic, but it has 58 % more torque than your CS. No trouble parking her either, as long as you do not have to reverse uphill.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good point. i think you are right, the torque makes the difference. wonder if the clutch in the f1 lasts as long as one in a manual over the same distance and conditions.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ross- Depends on how you use it. Clutch life is primarily determined by driver technique. Mine has 20,500 miles and virtually no wear.

The 599 clutch is really, really tough. Have not heard of anyone wearing out their clutch.

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Incredible! It's the first time i see a manual 599 GTB. Nice colour btw.

:)

21. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    DAF63, Ross, Werewolf and manual 599 drivers in general,
    I'd like to know whether your 599 ever required any clutch related special maintenance / repair and, if so, at what mileage and whether you had to wait for spares.
    I consider buying a manual 599 which has 23'000 mls.

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont have a manual 599 - yet. i have found one with about the same number of miles as yours, so i too am interested in some answers on the clutch.

btw, dont you guys find it odd that the manual 599's out there have more miles on them on average than regular f1 cars?

23. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    The fastest accelerating manual Ferrari road car - after the one on your profile pic :)

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    For me the answer is "no", but I haven't racked-up many miles (in any of my 599s). The 458 is the daily driver (approaching 4k miles !).

23K miles on a manual 599 ... somebody's REALLY enjoying that machine !!!

25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    did we ever figure out how many manuals were built?