1995 456 GT Windows fix | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1995 456 GT Windows fix

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by oss117, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Well guys, it is soon going to be 6 years since I had my windows fixed by the F1 guys in Naples and my car is still as watertight as the day it left the shop.

2. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know they are problematic, but what do you do to service them?

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    late response: THANKS! going to try and tackle it this Sat.

4. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    Can anyone who has had the F1 fix done give me a clear explanation of what they do? As I have read the posts on here about the fx and I am not clear that I understand exactly what they are changing on the mechanism. It seems to me that the mechanism is not upto the job so I am interested to know what this mods do? As I am in the UK sending the units over to the US is not an economic proposition.

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    One of the 'mods' is to replace Al pins with SS pins.

But the most effective one I've seen documented is having four flat-head counter sunk screws placed on each 90-degree portion of the pentograph wheel. That ensures the lack of seperation between the two arms.

PM me if you want pics.

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    You may want to read my first post.
    The window regulator is ok and is retained: what is being replaced is the pin where the lifting arm pivots.
    However, this is only part of the fix, as the glass guides sometime also need to be adjusted and the rear rubber gasket may need to be replaced or modified.

7. THudgins

THudgins Rookie

Jan 17, 2008
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Ted Hudgins
    You may be able to ask Eric himself shortly. He was in my office yesterday for some tax and business planning and I suggested he get on FChat to improve his visibility and to share some of his experience about fixing our favorite things which end in a vowel. As long as he isn't flamed to death like Rifledriver and Taz were, we should all benefit.

8. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Why would Eric be flamed at all?

9. dvr

dvr Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
    I'm currently fixing the window mechanisms and would be interested in your photos too. I can't PM you, so could you email me.

So far I've removed both sides and the mechanisms are a mess. Much butchering and bending from previous mechanics. I need to study the arms closely because it looks like there were some bends originally. The alloy spine on the driver's side appears undamaged but the passenger's is gone and something foreign has been welded (looks like chicken ****) in place. Lots of lateral movement though. Hopefully all the wear pieces, slides guides etc, are still obtainable and I can get or replicate the splines. I'm in Australia.

Thanks

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    PM Sent.

11. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    On all window-mechanics: once in there, at least go to your local BMW dealer and get six (three for each side) plastic blocks for E36 coupe windows. They are a very well known failure item on those cars so they'll have them on the shelf. I believe PN is 51 32 1 938 884.
    Cost is a few $ each and take out slack that otherwise would have remained - and believe me, you need as little slack as possible. Lubricate with lithium grease on installation.

12. dvr

dvr Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for that guys.

Should that be 8 instead of six BMW guides? These are the "U" ones that fit to the bottom of the windows and slide up the curved stainless "L" rails, yes?

I'll also be needing the ones (4x) which are on the ends of the scissors and slide in the channels attached to the lower edge of the windows. Is there a better alternative for those as well?

Cheers

13. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Just as a warning to everyone playing with this, when my window was not sealing a local shop (very good) pulled the door trim off and found the mechanism (regulator) loose, so tightened it up and reset the window. Perfect.
    2 days later the window exploded all by itself.
    Further investigation revealed that the arms and regulator itself had been "tweaked" by someone previously, so when the regulator was set right the window likely was going up too far and ultimately exploded.
    Worst part is THERE ARE NO SPARES through Ferrari. I was found a second hand one but it was the only one available at the time. Window works perfect now.
    The shop paid for everything and did not charge for the original fix either - great service.
    If you break one - beware.

14. dvr

dvr Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
  15. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #40 166&456, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Most important is to only slightly tighten the bolts that go through the glass. Use loctite to secure them instead of force, very important.
    Per recollection, the Ferrari mechanism uses three blocks per side.

16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I had a 1995 456. Eric did the fix for me. It worked great. I can't say enough about Eric and F1 imports.

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    did the window mechanism replacement and much better. the newer upgraded model has better adjustment screws for for/aft leveling if not adjustment. Highly recommended if you have older one to acquire newer mechanism. Never heard a good explaination on how to adjust the older one.

18. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    where did you purchase the new regulator and how much did it cost?

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was a Factory recall, your VIN should have been notified by FNA.

If not, they still owe you the fix???

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #45 SonomaRik, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    Used, $225 delivered. Ferrparts. Ricambi had the item, but I was after a used one.

You had so much time to react to the Ferrari 'fix', which was realistically only temporary anyway, and yes, I got the $8,000 'fizzellfix' years ago. They did/do go out and need constant adjustment.

There were several updated mechanisims and the one I installed is the latest...and very much better.

Total time to take out and install with alignment: 90 Min.

21. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    I'm curious, is this a similar problem as what occurs on the 550?

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Similar, but not the same. 550 windows can usually be adjusted to work fine.

23. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    According to my shop, the regulator is shot. I got a new one that’s sitting in my garage, but reading this I’m wondering if the repair wasn’t in their repartee.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app