Law enforcement update for tex | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Law enforcement update for tex

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by texasmr2, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well I still have not heard from my friend who works for a school district, he said he would let me know but I'll have to take that bull by the horns myself.

With TDCJ I failed to ask if they would hold my commision but I was told probably not. I have two S/O's in mind and one of them is my past post but if the current sheriff is re-elected I will not be returning there. In the mean time I have decided to go ahead and apply with TDCJ but I am interviewing with local Mazda dealership Monday morning. I am going to play it safe for now as I do not want to have to relocate twice in less than a year.

2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well I promised a friend I would keep them updated with my job search and ya know how much I like to talk about myself so two birds with one stone haha.

So as I await other LE opportunities I will be starting class on Oct 1st for my 'Level III - Armed Security' certification. At the moment here in Houston the typical unarmed security officer makes between $10-$12/hr but armed security positions pay about $5/hr more. A friend/ex-deputy I worked with is in the $20/hr range as a supervisor who just drives around checking in on locations and the officers. He works four 12's and loves it more than actual LE. Heck when I was a deputy sheriff my friend and the county treasurer calculated my pay rate at around $14.50/hr which is less than half of the normal pay rate but it was just a small country town/county.

Doing some research I have also found a security company who specilize in higher end corporate security such a banks, office building and office complex's well you get the idea. I have yet to call them or the lead that I was given by said friend but I will check both tomorrow. Hopefully my LEO background aswell as corporate background will help alittle.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #203 texasmr2, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Well today was the first day of class for my Level III armed security license and commision. A fun class but no different than what was taught in the police academy but for some odd reason the state requires the courses for even unarmed security. One would think my state Peace Officers certification which took 750hrs of training on top of my state certifications in OC Pepper Spray, Baton and 'Hand to Hand' would automatically allow me to just apply for my security certification, right??? Oh well I am not complaining and I enjoy a new challenge and having a new goal. All of the instructors are ex-peace officers and attend the same academy as I do for continuing education courses which keeps our state peace officers license valid (40hrs every two years).

A friend of mine who I went through the police academy with and I helped him get his first LEO job is a LEO for UH and even he is thinking about returning to our old dept if a new sheriff is elected, which seem's more and more likely each day. I took my friends advice and have a rough draft of a letter I am going to send to said candidate so if he does win the election I will have a foot in the door already. Also it does not hurt that I have worked with him in court and I am friends with his wife who already works for the county aswell as everyone else in the courthouse including the district judge as he is one of my job references.

Ok enough rambling yet I would like to close with a shout out to a certain friend who helped me get back into the swing of things, you know who you are ;).

Thanks for listening,
    Gregg

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Since this is more gun specific I posted it in the Guns thread but thought I would share this news here aswell.

"This post is not in regards to a specific firearm but a manufacturer so I thought I would share a very generous offer I recieved today in class. Some of you may have read and even kept up with my thread concerning my LEO career and that I am currently in school for my Level III armed security commision. Also most of you know that 99.99% of the instructors are a combination of ex-LEO, ex-Military and even ex-Special Forces and most are also certified Level IV "Personal Bodyguards".

So anyway one of our instructors is all of the above and his main 'go-to' sidearm is a very custom STI 1911 built over a full year with over 1000hr's in the build and was given to him as a gift by his friend who happens to be one of the 'Master Gunsmiths' at STI, he told me the gun is valued at around $17K :eek:. He showed me how to FULLY disassemble a 1911 properly, not for the faint of braincellage' and very very cool. After he broke it down I then cleaned and oiled every cm/mm of that gun.

After getting to know him alittle over the past two days and him learning that I am the only one in class who is a LEO and knows who and what STI is he pulls me aside. He tells me he is going to Austin next week to visit his buddy and take a tour of the factory (FULL ACCESS) and asked if I wanted to go with him, FAWK YES was my reply. We will even be staying with his friend so how cool is that!!!!! I am super pumped about this trip and I will be a sponge for info and advice and hopefully I will be able to take some pics to share and I am almost certain we will be doing ALOT of shooting.

It just goes to show how true the old saying is "Its not what you know but WHO you know"!!

Gregg

ps, My instructor also told me we can look into the possibility of getting his buddy to build me something 'special' that will not cost me an arm and a leg, we'll see. Oh I almost forgot to mention that after my instructor reassembled the pistol he immediately handed it to me and told me to check tricker action and OMFG now I realize why custom pistols cost so much, simply amazing!!!"

5. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    I am ubber jealous, take lots of pictures if they let you. That's like a nighthawk on steroids.... I want so badly. right now my only .45 is a single stack springfield XDs.

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I will definitely be taking pics if allowed and hopefully I get to shoot some of their pistols, I cannot wait!!!

We are hitting the range tomorrow for our pistol and shotgun qualifications/certifications. The shotgun is only and extra $25 so I will be getting that aswell and then go back later for my pepper spray certification and later will have to get my baton and taser certification.
    As I mentioned previously it is odd that I must get re-certifided for OC, baton and shotgun when I am already certified for these with TCLEOSE when I got my "peace officers" license.

Oh well the more certifications I have in the "Force Continuum" for armed security will make me more employable and earn me a higher paying position. Heck I have not shot my pistol in quite sometime so I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Gregg

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Tazer certification? Don't you have to be tazed to do that? Have fun :D

Be sure to take pics! That'll be a ton of fun.

Good luck in the rest of your certification

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Actually no you are not tased or pepper sprayed for the "security officer" certifications. I was pepper sprayed for my LEO certification in the police academy but the academy no longer gave taser certifications because of liability issues. I had a smile when I learned this today and in reality I would rather be tased than pepper sprayed as the taser pain only last the 5secs you are being tased but pepper spray can last for hours. When I was sprayed in the academy I was the only cadet out of the 50 who was not jumping around and crying as I went for more of a mental block from the pain.

Thanks for the support,
    Gregg

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #209 texasmr2, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Things are looking up for me in regards to reassuming employment with my last dept. I mentioned previously that I have a letter in 'rough draft' that I want to send to the only candidate running against the current sheriff. His wife is a good friend and works in/for the county where I once worked and she told me that I have her full support returning to the dept. I have worked side by side with this candidate aswell so we are not strangers.

I also learned from one of my security class instructors who is a TCLEOSE certified instructor that the current sheriff, my past boss, actually committed 'aggravated perjury' in regards to specific documents concerning me aswell as breaking state laws regarding a Peace Officers credentials pertaining not only to me but other employee's of said sheriffs dept.

Old Tex will soon be a Texas Peace Officer once again.

10. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I've always wanted to be tazed to see what it's like :)

Good luck with everything Gregg. Hope you can take pics

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I doubt I will be taking the taser class anytime soon as it cost $100 then you must supply your own taser which start's at around $400 we were told and the cartridges are about $25-$30 each. Heck the pepper spray cert cost $50 and you do not even get sprayed and it only cost $30 in the police academy and we got sprayed.

A rather strange thing with security is you must first get hired by a company and they must then send in your paperwork to the state before you can actually start working. This process cost another $80 and will take several weeks so even if I had the $80 I would not be working until early or mid-November. Security companys do not tell you this unless you ask as you cannot work with having on your person your state ID's.

I only learned this important detail after leaving my last LEO post that I should have been issued my dept ID, state law, within one week of employment. So for six months when off duty I was breaking a state law when I was out and about with my pistol on my hip and only my badge. These are details they do not teach you in the academy so I guess that important detail is left up to your first commision/dept especially if you are a rookie. Thankfully I did not learn this the hard way.

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats and good luck.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks Jason and congrats to you aswell on your new job and new car, I like it.

14. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    San Antonio courses offer the taser for $75. They have the taser already. Get every cert you can to make you stand above the other applicants.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm sure I could probably find one alittle cheaper here in town but for now I am going to hold off as I have no choice. With gas prices the way they are it would cost me more money wise and alot more time wise going to SA.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    About 4-5 months ago I asked for and recieved an application for the Galveston County Sheriffs Dept. After recieveing the application I saw the impossible due date for that hiring phase due to specific personal statistics info (ie notarized copy of birth certificate etc etc). I contacted a recruiter and was informed that since I am already on their list of potential hires they will just roll me over into the next hiring phase and that I can send in my application at anytime.

So I gathered said info and was prepared to complete that last parts of my application and send it in. Before I did I decided to contact them once more and discuss my seperation from my last dept and if it would be a hinderance and was told yes it is an issue and it must be resolved before I can apply.

Well I was notified this morning via email that I am one of their top 40 applicants but they have not recieved anything from me??? Sounds like I need to talk with one of the recruiters again yet I am just a tad confused.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats on the top 40 part at least.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I guess but from my experience it really means nothing in the whole scheme of things. Law Enforcement is like no other profession and it concerns me alot on many different levels. My main concern is how the industry complains about not having enough officers yet disregards applicants who exceeds their requirements yet are rejected based upon a seperation in which the employee had/has no control over but everyone (other depts) are blinded by.

I have no doubts that I will be reinstated very soon.

Thanks for your support Rob and my apologies for being such a dumbarse ealier.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no worries, I get grouchy sometimes, I know you will be happy to get settled into a LE position.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you for understanding as it has been a very difficult and stressfull road for me. My apologies to everyone else who have endured my shannanigans.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #221 texasmr2, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    Things are progressing quite nicely regarding returning to my former dept. I am good friends with the wife of the only candidate running against my former sheriff as she also works for the county and she called me yesterday to verify reciept of my email containing my pre-election employment request (letter to him personaly) regarding returning to the dept and my former position.

I sent her a 'rough draft' letter and she is going to "doctor it up" for me as she knows what he personaly wants/likes to hear. She mentioned to me that she had informed him of this impending letter and that he is looking forward to recieveing it. It certainly does not hurt that he is very very close with one of my MAIN references which I did not know until yesterday.

So just for the sake of it I am looking into finding an apartment in Waco (only a 30min drive) that offers discounts to peace officers. A friend of mine who I went thru the academy with me and who I helped get on at that dept found a newer complex in Waco that offered a 2-bedroom with W/D etc etc for about $350/month (LEO discount). There is a very small complex in the town I would be working in but I am unsure of the availibilty or ammenities and they do not offer LE discounts. BABY WILL NOT SETTLE AGAIN FOR NOTHING LESS THAN CENTRAL AIR/HEAT!!!

Ramble ramble ramble I know but my moral is getting better and better as the end of the year draws closer..

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Finally finished class today so I am now state certified in Level II and III for armed security. Today class was 'Defensive Tactics' taught by Carlos Escobar who trained the Columbian Militarys Elite Forces in "hand to hand" combat and he was also the personal bodyguard of the Columbian president at one time for 7yrs.

I learned more in one day than I ever have regarding hand to hand and if a weapon is being used by the perp, so simple yet so effective it is scary. I hope to oneday take his two day course which would also certify me for Level IV as a PPO (Personal Protection Officer - ie bodyguard) just for the knowledge. Carlos is so unassuming and small in stature but he is a walking 'Deadly Weapon'.

Next step is finding employment or someone who will carry my commision, same as in law enforcement.

A productive day it was.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Need some assistance with a 'search' as mine is for crap. Who was it that mentioned Germany and another country hiring Texas PO's?

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well the elections are less than two weeks away, Nov 6th, and I should know soon afterwards what dept/county I will be working for if things go my way. Wish me luck ok.

25. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    good luck!

Tex care to comment on Texas legislators telling the UN to stay away from polling sites?