10/7/12 - FOR SALE 196 S Recreation | FerrariChat

10/7/12 - FOR SALE 196 S Recreation

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by tx246, Oct 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #1 tx246, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just listed on ebay (no affiliation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-2-door-Spyder-1959-Ferrari-196S-Dino-Fantuzzi-Spyder-Replica-2-4-Four-Cam-V6-ZF-5-/370661935886?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item564d2c4b0e

It had become a tradition at Ferrari to try the latest Formula 1 engine in a sportscar. In the 1958 racing season, the all new Dino V6 engine was no exception. The Dino Engine was named in memory of Enzo Ferrari’s son, Alfredo 'Dino' Ferrari, who worked on the development and design of the engine from his hospital death bed as he fought a losing battle with Kidney failure. The final design of this highly advanced engine was completed by the legendary Ferrari engineer Vittorio Jano.
    With this new engine Ferrari introduced their now famous naming policy with the first two figures indicated the displacement and the third the number of cylinders. Externally there was little to distinguish the new racer from the contemporary Ferrari 250 TR with their Pininfarina designed and Fantuzzi bodied V12 engines, other than the three sets of Webers sticking through the bonnet instead of the more familiar six.

Even technically there was little to distinguish the two and it was heavily rumored that with larger engines, the Dinos would eventually replace the V12 sports racers. However, at the end of the 1958 season, Enzo Ferrari concluded that the Dino-engined machines would be too complex to be operated by privateers and not fast enough to replace the 250 TRs in the Works team.

Both cars were stripped of their engines and the 3 liter car received a V12 engine and was sold as a 250 TR to Luigi Chinetti of the North American Racing Team (NART). The first car was retained, awaiting the installation of a new version of the Dino engine. Other than having six cylinders, the new Dino shared little with its namesakes. The heads sported just one camshaft each and the V-angle was back to the conventional 60 degrees. It was designed with both a racing and production purpose in mind. The new two-liter V6 was dubbed 196 S. A more civilized version was also tested, which still developed a hefty 175 bhp. The 196 S racing engine was installed in chassis 0740 and finished with the latest version of the Fantuzzi roadster coachwork debuted victoriously in the Coppa Sant'Ambroeus at Monza in May of 1959.

Later that season a second Ferrari 196S Dino Fantuzzi Spyder (s/n 0776) was completed and immediately sold to Luigi Chinetti’s North American Racing Team (NART). Chinetti entered in a variety of races for the famous Rodriguez brothers, including the 1960 Sebring 12 Hours and the Targa Florio, but with little success as the traditional sports racers started to lose against the more advanced mid-engined racers. Although two more front-engined cars were constructed (s/n 0778 and 0784), both were initially fitted with a 2.4 liter four-cam version of the Dino V6 with the intent to be used as back-ups for the heavier V12 engined cars on the twistier tracks.

At the end of the 1959 season '0778' was sold with a two-liter twin cam engine and Chinetti bought '0784' still with the four-cam engine for the Rodriguez brothers. He had the body replaced with a more slippery roadster body by Fantuzzi, but the time of the small front-engined sports cars was over.

Ferrari 196S Dino Fantuzzi Spyder (s/n 0776) is the sole surviving 196 S Dino produced. After being delivered to Chinetti late in 1959, the car was raced until 1961 with very little success. Today the car is owned by an avid Ferrari collector and it has been known to show up the Goodwood Revival on occasion.

This particular vehicle is an exquisite recreation of the original 1959 Ferrari 196S Dino Fantuzzi Spyder #0776. This Vehicle’s history is shrouded in mystery and intrigue, but it can be traced back to the early 90’s when it was packaged as part of an asset trade towards a Gulfstream Jet, ultimately ending up in the collection of a NASCAR Racing Team Owner. At the time, the new owner was advised that this vehicle was built by a group of “Old Italian Craftsmen”, based in Maranello, Italy who “went to great lengths to preserve their anonymity due to their close personal ties to Pininfarina, Fantuzzi and of course Ferrari”.

In 1999, this Dino was discreetly brokered by the Aero Toy Store in Ft. Lauderdale Florida, on a bill of sale, to a very well known car collector and automotive historian, who bought the Dino as a gift to himself because he had just closed the deal to sell his private company to a much larger public corporation for a reported quarter of a billion dollar deal. The Dino remained as the center piece of this large private collection until just recently. It features the 2.4L 4-cam V6 Dino engine, triple Weber velocity stack carburetors, and ZF 5-speed fully synchronized transmission with gate shifter & reverse lockout. The body was expertly crafted in aluminum alloy over a full tube chassis. The placement of every rivet, fit of every panel, and the meticulously attention to details cannot go unnoticed! The shape of the Pininfarina-designed body with enclosed headlamps, body ducting & marker lights, transparent hood scoop, chrome spoke 15” Borrani wheels, and full length Plexiglas windscreen, are all remarkably authentic! The interior design is just as genuine to the eye with cross-stitched leather upholstery over aluminum racing seats & cabin surround, authentic Ferrari instrumentation with textured panel face, real wood steering wheel, aluminum foot pedals & emergency brake handle, Talbot style racing mirror, racing fuel cap, leather hood & deck straps with polished aluminum release tabs, exposed fuse & relay panel on the passenger side dash are just a few items to point out! We welcome prospective buyers to view this magnificent vehicle in person! Please call with additional questions or to schedule an appointment! Thanks for looking!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm usually not a fan of these recreations but this is pretty sweet..

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a fake!!! Crush it!! Somebody ripped off ferraris design and built this horrid thing.. Destroy it.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    get off it.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i personally would rather have jim rose's car but this 196 recreation is pretty sweet! painted borranis, and stove pipe black pipes would be the first changes i would make.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This looks very nice. Must be a blast to drive.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Peter,

I actually own a sister car to this one. Mine has "stove pipe black" exhausts.....

The car is what it is, but is a damn great fun to drive....

Shawn

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

Andrew,

The car is a very quick car and very light weight.

Under accelleration, understeer really kicks in, but is VERY managable.

The car I have, a sister car, is "EXTREMELY" responsive and easy to drive.

Shawn

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    does it have a Ferrari badge on it too?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #10 BigTex, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    I believe it does...it's very nice..

It's been shown and accepted at Franco's parties, always honestly labeled...

It's cute......no idea on "value".....but it's a cool piece.
    I vote "yes"!

Had some driving pics of it, can't find them...

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the Ferrari badge on the front? on the side too, the BIG one?

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i really love this car for wwhat it is. a beautifully turned out recreation. very honset and very well detailed hand made car! very nice shawn!!

pcb

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #13 tx246, Oct 9, 2012
    It does.....but I didn't put them there. I did put the Pirate Pony sticker on it

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like that!

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    +246

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that's hysterical! and very well done! You should make stickers of those for resale. I wonder if the wonder-boy lawyers hired by SpA would send you a nastygram for "use of skeleton as a derivative work" . . . .

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The design is trademarked. The person that designed the logo and owns it, is a very interesting guy that has a tremendous Ferrari relationship unlike any I have seen before.

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    This "collector" sells his company for a quarter of a billion and he buys...a fakie-doo?

Um, okay, and it is a BEAUTIFUL car, but, if this guy's a "collector", why buy a replica/reproduction/copy/whatever? He's got the dough to buy the real deal, and, as a "collector", he ought to know the real deal will appreciate far more rapidly. Even if he had to wait for a while, he could have had ANY of the real, important F Old Iron. Maybe he collects Chevys?

Don't get me wrong, it's his money, and he may have just wanted it, but marketing this like it was the acquisition of a lifetime and a cornerstone of an important collection doesn't quite ring true when the guy has the ability to buy a legit GTO.

Me thinks the marketing department was a little bit over the top on that ad. Would be very happy to put this in the garage for fun weekend jaunts, though.

CW

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I don't know the details or specifics, but the person that is being referenced is a name most know.........

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    That's fine. It's just odd to me that someone who probably has discerning taste in cars and is even considered a "collector" would celebrate a seminal event in his life by buying a whatever-it-is.

No worries. And, it really doesn't matter. It's a lovely car and would be fun to drive. Whatever pleases him.

CW

21. Gary Anzalone

Gary Anzalone Rookie

Feb 20, 2009
    Me thinks the marketing department was a little bit over the top on that ad. Would be very happy to put this in the garage for fun weekend jaunts, though.

CW[/QUOTE]

It is not over the top at all. It is factual. If you are a fan of this chapter in Ferrari history, you need to be prepared to drop tens of millions to own an original car, and you can be certain that you will not be the only suitor. You may also be interested to know how many of these quality recreations are owned by the person who also owns the original car, simply so they can have a car they feel more comfortable to drive on a Sunday afternoon. I can assure you that everything mentioned in this ad is 100% factual.

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Indeed you do.

Possibly. Possibly not. It depends. Many of these cars do change hands in private transactions and the general public will not get a chance at them. It stands to reason that as a "collector" this buyer may have access to and the funds to consummate those kinds of deals, if so desired. But, supply is certainly limited and demand can vary

Yes, I know. Does this "collector" own the original 196? Never mind, don't answer. It doesn't matter.

Which is fine and dandy, and this would be a great way to spend a Sunday tootling around.

Glad we got to the bottom of THAT!

CW

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #23 Napolis, Oct 16, 2012
    "It is not over the top at all. It is factual. If you are a fan of this chapter in Ferrari history, you need to be prepared to drop tens of millions to own an original car, and you can be certain that you will not be the only suitor. You may also be interested to know how many of these quality recreations are owned by the person who also owns the original car, simply so they can have a car they feel more comfortable to drive on a Sunday afternoon. I can assure you that everything mentioned in this ad is 100% factual."

There are TONS of Major Real Ferrari for sale today and that have been for sale for a LONG time.

10's of millions? The price they're offered to me is way below that.

As for sunday driving real cars, for me that has never been an issue.