NOS TRX WHEELS WANTED | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NOS TRX WHEELS WANTED

Discussion in '308/328' started by toto70_0, Sep 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    False.

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    You can buy the tires brand new I really don't understand the need for NOS tires dated 1985.

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Most of the 83 QV were metric as well.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    85 and all of 84 - I think. I would be surprised if any 84's were metric. Not 100% sure but pretty close to it.

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    It is quite common to find 1984 -85 Euro cars with original 390 wheels.

7. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    back in the day, many were changed to 16's by the dealer

8. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    The euro versions still had TRX wheels in 1985, and new michelins can be bought at longstonetyres in England.
    Have no interest in repos, my car deserves the real ones, the car is still like new when built in Maranello except of the compomotives.

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    TRX or 16's ?

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I still have my TRX and will not part with them, but drive on them? Nope.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That surprises me with the 85 model. Didn't know that.

12. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #37 Bradley, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Not intentionally. I made a mistake, gee.
    And, I already admitted it:

Plus, I have to say. . . this is one of the weirdest threads I have read for a long time. I never thought I would see so many people leaping to defend "metric" wheels.

Well, there's still that guy on eBay. Believe he reduced the price for four to $1200.

13. veet

veet Karting

Nov 4, 2010
    Sudbury ON
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Mine where new when i bought the car. If you are tracking the car, think about upgrading but i have no issuses with mine. I can lose the car to the cops real qiuck! I think they look great!

14. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The superformance front wheels with new tires were the same weight as the OEM TRX rims and tires I took off my car. I posted pictures of the scale here when I changed them. The new rears were slightly heavier, but those are 8" rims and what came off were closer to 7" rims. Really they seem to be about the same static weight.

15. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
  16. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Brian, I don't think my own scale is as precise as yours, but I found no significant difference between the weight of the old TRX wheels and my new Superformance 16".

Seriously, the only reason I can imagine for keeping TRX wheels on any car would be having a "Pristine-Queen" which sits in the garage, only gets driven to shows, and has everything perfect and original.

My own 308 is not perfect, it is a driver, and Z-Rated 16" tires just drive so much better. . . She's mostly original, but I'm not going to worry about the color of the intake plenum or whether I have the right size, period-correct version of the "GTB" script on the fusebox door.

Toto, too bad you didn't catch me about three years ago. I had a set of unscratched, undented, near-perfect TRX wheels that I practically gave away. :(

17. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    TRX rims were offered all the way through 1985. My 84' QV GTB Euro came with them and still has them on the car until I get some replacements. Most all Euro's came with them and people in Europe preferred them due to the metric sizing. 16's were optional and more popular in the US.

18. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Relax Brad was just saying..

We can agree on this.

I still don't get that they have to be NOS vs brand new... The new ones are the same exact thing only not dried out...

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've seen Toto's 308 and you would understand if you did too. It's brand new, only the wheels are not the standard items. So he's not looking for making a driver out of it. He has plenty of other oppertunities to do that. This qv is a time capsule. Only NOS wheels will do.

20. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Its the same mold. The only thing that would be different is the date on the tire that you could see if you have a magnifying glass...

21. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    There is also a date on the wheels , you can even date them to a production-month,
    the wheels of my Dino are dated 2 months before the car was produced, so that is on line.

22. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I understand you can date them to production month, but you have to take them off to see the stamp. ...and other than those numbers, all of the wheel are identical (82-85 painted differently). Your car sounds really nice, I just don't think it would be any less nice with mint 390 wheels no matter what date and new tires. Just my $.02

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    But only on Euro cars, correct?

That's what I did, too.

I did not know that. Thank you for the information. Since I am in the U.S., the only information had was in regard to the U.S. models. Prior to this thread, I had the impression that nearly everyone preferred the 16" wheels; I certainly do! The benefits I enumerated above are more than sufficient reason for me; the exhorbitant cost of TRX tires now would be reason enough to switch to 16 inchers by itself.

However, I do understand that there are owners who wish to keep their cars original. While I respect that decision, I still do not see any other advantage to having TRX tires.

Do most cars in Europe still come with metric wheels?

24. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Okay, I can see it. . . Maybe if I also had a "time capsule," rather than just a car to drive. . .

25. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    That fad ended ended by the late '80's. I think BMW was the last manufacturer to give up on that failed experiment. In the last few years Michelin tried again with their PAX run-flat system, which also seems to be universally hated and doomed to certain failure.