Does anyone know this black 1991 tr at NJ dealer? | FerrariChat

Does anyone know this black 1991 tr at NJ dealer?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by andre#4, Sep 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andre#4

andre#4 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011
  2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I wasn't even going to answer this thread, but since nobody else is chiming in, here is my .02

This may be a great car owned by a loving owner. I don't know, and considering you haven't done any due diligence before posting here, I assume you don't either.

Without knowing anything more than what I see in the ad you posted here are my concerns based on your comments in previous threads:

You see those big subwoofers behind the seats? The amplifier under the bonnet? The modified head unit bracket with what are apparently subwoofer controls?

How about the limo tint? Which, incidentally is illegal in NJ where the car is being sold!

Do you want to know why that car has gone through 5 dealers and is a no sale at 65K?

I have a hunch its all of the above...

Also, knowing how concerned you are about being able to sell her on a moments notice, do you know how small the market is for that car come resale time? or how much it would cost to bring it back to stock?

Oh, and how confident do you feel that the stereo install shop was on the level and did a sympathetic install?

Let's not even go into the stereotype, UNFAIR or NOT, of the typical owner who would trick out a TR in such a way? Do you think he is the kind of guy who wipes the car with diapers and spent his energy properly sorting his car, or do you think he spent his weekends driving down sunset with the window 1/2 cracked, booming dance music while he had stop light wars?

I don't know the answer to that question, but if he was the latter, think diff replacement...and soon...by the way, future owners will be pondering the same question when YOU go to sell her.

In any event, if you are really interested in this car, call the dealer, get some preliminary info and post it here. IMHO, before you do that you should spend some time looking for a TR that has been lovingly cared for by a patient owner and has an established provenance. Check the Ferrari market letter, go to the FCA website...there are tons of places where F-car enthusiasts hang out... find out who the well respected brokers are in your region and give them a call, join the FCA, go to F-car events, meet other owners... Or... keep posting every random Testarossa you find on the internet in the hopes that you hit pay dirt on one of these dubious cars...;)

Just my .02

3. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I think you answered for all of us Joe... well said brother!

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Great post Joe..

R

5. andre#4

andre#4 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011
    Thank you Joe,

I didn't even think about the stereo aspect. I suppose that goes triple for alarms, since that hacks into everything, I knew to be wary about alarms, but I didn't think about the stereo aspect. (nevertheless, I am still impressed by a factory radio from the 1980's in pristine condition and always preferred that) And I also didn't think about the ramifications of all the modifications. All I thought was the cost to remove them. Not the type of person who would tint it and what else they must have done. (doughnuts, burn outs, etc)

To be fair, I have looked at about 60 ads in the last 3 weeks, and another 300 in the last 20 years during the time I was not actually trying to buy one, and I have only asked about 3 or 4 of them on this website. I guess with this car, I was hoping someone would see the car and say they owned it and it was ok. Or that it was not ok. Just to get it off my list so I didn't waste a whole day going out there after finding someone to care for my dad while I was gone, etc. I also thought there would be a good chance someone would know the car. I guess there is such a great many of them around, and relatively few people on this forum. So of course, I won't do that again. With the other couple cars I posted, I was just looking to get a general idea if they were something I should consider or not. Price and condition, and so forth. I thought it would be good to ask others for help, since I have never even owned one of these before.

For what it is worth, I have apparently offended a couple people here in another discussion, and I have since apologized to the parties concerned in that discussion, and I also said that I will not ask any more questions until I have bought a car and have a bad problem with it that I can't get solved anywhere else. I never wanted to upset anyone, and I was ignorant to think I could just ask whatever I wanted, willy nilly before spending any money on the car.

Now, I just have to take the valuable advice I have, and be glad I got it. So, thank you very much everyone, and I am sorry if I offended you or took up your time. I can assure you that I won't waste it. I have taken everything to heart. Unfortunately I am forgetful, but I'll probably be ok. (I knew about that stereo and modifications being bad years ago, but I just forgot about it. I have a bad problem about forgetting things. It must have seemed dumb for me to ask about that black car, when it was so obviously messed up...I thank you for answering me so completely, Joe.)

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #6 JoeZaff, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Andre,

It's no biggie. We are hear to help you,

However, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, buying a Ferrari is very different than buying a Mercedes or BMW. The amount of due diligence necessary to find a proper TR is considerable. Its more than looking at ads, its knowing what to look for when you are looking at ads. You really need to learn a lot about these cars before diving in, unless you are just not concerned about the severe financial ramifications of buying the wrong car. You need to take advantage of all of the resources out there and become educated on these cars.

If you are uncomfortable posting publicly for whatever reason, feel free to PM me. I will gladly do what I can to offer you my meaningless .02. or point you to those far more experienced than I.