Abu Dhabi GP 2012 | FerrariChat

Abu Dhabi GP 2012

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by g4titan, Apr 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Hey Guys,

I know it's a little early but I'm planning our trip out there... Curious if you all have any recommendations for this event? We'll be coming from Washington D.C flying into Dubai spend some time there and then head over to Abu Dhabi for the racing action. Does it make sense to stay in Dubai and just trek the 70 miles to see the events on Sat/Sun?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, perhaps even an fchat hook up.

Thanks!

2. nuclear

nuclear Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    Olympia WA.
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Just one tip. Avoid Dubai when the carrier pulls in and 4000 squids get off. I was one of them!

3. F355_Targa

F355_Targa Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm based in Abu Dhabi. Yes, it's better to stay in Dubai and drive to the track for the F1 GP.

The F1 track is on an island called Yas Island which is right next to the Abu Dhabi airport (5 minutes) and 30 minutes away from downtown Abu Dhabi.

From Dubai airport, it will take you between 1:15 hour and 1:30 hour to reach Yas Island.

For accommodation, I recommend you stay in the area of Dubai Marina or JBR (Jumairah Beach Residence). That is where the action is in Dubai and it's only ~ 45 minutes away from Yas Island.

You can commute by taxi between Dubai and Yas Island. Taxis are relatively cheap here and it will cost you around AED 200 (~USD 50).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

4. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Thanks guys for the help! I was starting to wonder if anyone from FChat is conversent in the region!

5. jshawm

jshawm Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    I guess it depends how much you're willing to spend. I was thinking about going but opted for Austin instead cause it was a little cheaper when calculating the cost of flight. I'm using ludus tours to go to austin and I think they had a 5Star Abu Dhabi package for around 4k... a little pricey but it was inclusive of everything but flight. That was a little over my budget but seemed fair for what you get.

6. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I am going to be there as well. I arrive on the Friday (by way of Delhi and the Indian GP) and will also be staying in Dubai. I was planning to either taxi to Abu Dhabi or rent a car. I am going to be there by myself and would welcome a fchat meet-up!

7. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Really??!! that would be great! I'm still firming up dates/times but will send you a message when I finalize some things.

8. cmw

cmw Rookie

Feb 10, 2011
    Dubai,UAE
    Full Name:
    Clint M Wilfred
    I would also look into staying in Auh (Abudhabi)
    Personally i never miss the Auh GP and i live in Dubai.
    Normally drive up and stay at the Park Rotana. Good deals if you book early.

And November is a great time of the year.

You can always spot lots of Prancing Horses outside the PArk Rotana. Belonging to our local chapter of FOC.

If Ferrari were a religion I’d become a regular church-goer and preach the gospel according to St Ferrari of Maranello.
    Lord be praised.

9. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I will be traveling to abu dhabi race as well and would love to meet up with fellow fchatters. Im arriving early saturday and hopefully staying at the ritz

10. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Great! Walter, do you meant the Ritz Carlton in Dubai or Abu Dhabi? I will be in Dubai and plan to rent a car to travel to Yas Marina. If you are coming from Dubai, I am happy to provide the transport. Either way, I will send a pm and provide details so hopefully we can meet up. Also, I was planning to post in the F1 section soon as well to see if others will be there.

Keith.

11. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I'll be staying at the Dubai Ritz as well until that Wednesday. However, for Sat/Sun I'd like to stay at the one in Abu Dhabi. Supposedly it will be open in time..

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/AbuDhabi/Default.htm

Are you headed anywhere else before/after the race?

12. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I am in town Thursday with a meeting that morning. After that, I am free and was planning to attend Saturday qualifying and the race. No other plans right now except for maybe Ferrari world. I know there are concerts each night and after the race as well.

13. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Glad you all are going to make it! My plans changed... just had my third lil boy and he's proven to be a little harder than I planned :) Next year I suppose!

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Looks like I'll be staying at the Hyatt instead in Abu Dhabi (then Ritz Dubai Mon-Weds)

Looking to do Ferrari World on Sat and the race Sunday with the concert afterwards. No other plans yet though either.