Miami Marine Stadium...Save a National Treasure | FerrariChat

Miami Marine Stadium...Save a National Treasure

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Aug 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 4re Nut, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Came across this, http://www.savingplaces.org/treasures/miami-marine-stadium, and recalled that the stadium was mentioned fondly in the powerboat thread, http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376866.

http://www.marinestadium.org/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebaCC3MxcY[/ame]

Plenty of great pics at the above links; sample...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks for pointing this out.

Seems like a worthy cause.

BHW

3. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Don't bother this will turn into just another money grab for the local cuban politicians. They stopped racing power boats there because the area is too small. Once the boats went all turbine this place became obsolete.

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    It is a unique venue that has plenty of possibilities under the right leadership.

While the Unlimited Boats have out grown the space that doesn't mean it couldn't be used for smaller boat racing. The stands make it great for spectators. Perhaps they could hold a Wakeboard championship there instead of a lake in Orlando. There used to be a barge that was docked on the opposite side of the stadium and they would pull it over in front of the stands and have bands play on it. Done right it would be a really cool place to see a concert. The last thing that place needs done to it is having pilings driven in around it's perimeter and condos built. It will be such a loss.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That could be the real reason the stadium was
    shut down despite the fact that engineers claim
    there is no structural damage. Shouldn't take too
    much digging to get to the truth there.

While limited Unlimiteds would be great, there are
    other forms of boat racing such as four and five liter
    hydroplanes, which used to run as undercard races
    there, or tunnell hulls (not sure if they run in salt
    water though).

While there would likely be big interest in the SoFla
    boating community and perhaps the APBA to return
    to Miami, it would take another character like Bernie
    Little to drive it and there's some big shoes to fill.

BHW

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    F1 boats, if they still exist, would work. Last time I was at the stadium, I went to see the Beach Boys.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Several forms of tunnel hulls still exist.

The APBA has a category called Outboard
    Performance Craft with several sub-categories
    separated by motor size.

F-1 boats are still huge in Europe featuring
    the F-1 Powerboat World Championships which
    are dominated by Italians but an American
    or two has broken through to a championship
    or two. The undercard is called F-2 which are
    nearly as fast as the F-1 boats.

The APBA runs OPC boats on San Diego Bay
    so they do race on salt water which likely isn't
    as big an issue for them as for the turbine powered
    Unlimiteds that have to run special screen filters
    developed for military helicopters to keep desert dust out
    of their turbines, the same idea works to keep salt
    water out.

The APBA also has a category called Inboard
    GP Hydroplanes, basically smaller versions of
    unlimteds with big V-8 motors. They used to
    run these at Lake Magorie in St. Petersburg

BHW

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 4re Nut, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That reminds me that this guy, err champion, lives just a few miles down the road from me, http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/st_tammany_man_makes_big_splas.html

9. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    it was the backdrop for an ''elvis'' movie that a corvette show car in it too[no i cant remember the name]

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Commission puts nonprofit group in control of Miami Marine Stadium redevelopment plan - Key Biscayne - MiamiHerald.com

Hopefully this is more than a stay of execution. :rolleyes:

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It's so funny as this was on my mind just a couple of days ago.

It was easy to write this off to the developers who were planning to build condos
    on the property.

The site was used a lot for movie and TV shoots as the unmistakable back drops are
    often seen.

Hopefully, this signals a return to major league boat racing to Miami again.

BHW

13. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Wasn't it also featured in a scene or two of Miami Vice ?

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I attended the 1981 hydroplane regatta there, and while it's still a smaller course than ideal, unlimited hydros can still race there. While today's boats are much faster than they were back then, they can also turn much better, which would help in negotiating MMS's tight turns. And the relatively short course (1-2/3 miles) will help keep speeds reasonable.

Actually, another consideration is that the average unlimited course elsewhere has dropped over the years from 3 miles to 2-1/2 miles to today's 2 miles, so in comparison, 1-2/3 miles is not that much shorter.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    My father took me to a race there when I first got home from VietNam in 1969 - Buffet played there in last 70,s or early 80's

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That is cool!

Here in NJ, we've lost a few treasures - Trenton Speedway, Flemington Speedway...Wall Speedway handing on by a thread.

In New York, Bridgehampton comes to mind. There was also Northampton Drag Strip, not sure if that's still around...

17. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Trenton & Flemington...... God does that bring back memories!!

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Even if it's not a viable option for MMS to host the Unlimiteds again, there are
    always the smaller inboard hydroplane formulas.

It's easy to think though that the environmental groups are putting the squeeze on boat
    racing just as with auto racing.

In the 80's, there was a boat race of one form or another happening in Florida on
    almost every weekend. The highlight of course was the Unlimiteds at Miami which
    was backed heavily by the late Bernie Little and Budweiser, it's hard to imagine anyone
    picking up the mantle in Bernie's place in the boat racing world.

What is the current state of boat racing in the U.S.? The Unlimiteds are still around
    but rarely to never seen on TV, the last I saw with a good deal of Middle Eastern
    sponsors and teams.

The only form of boat racing seen regularly the past few years is the least spectator
    friendly Offshore boats which seem to have a lot of events in Florida.

BHW

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that the Qataris are largely responsible for Unlimited hydroplane racing continuing on as it has, sponsoring both a boat and a race. Fortunately the new emir is a fan and Qatar will continue to have a place on the schedule. Unfortunately, attempts to piggyback another Middle Eastern venue have so far been futile; just think of the cost to transport a dozen 6000+ lbs boats halfway around the world!

I think it's safe to say that racing had a love/hate relationship with the late Bernie Little; on the one hand, his promotion of the boat, of races and (at times) of the entire series kept hydro racing going and in the public eye; on the other hand his big spending chased away other sponsors because of the obvious need for them to spend big themselves if they hoped to win.

The one thing I remember about that 1981 race at MMS was the race debut of the Pay N' Pak turbine, a boat which would not be particularly successful itself but would pave the way for all of today's turbine boats. They had huge problems with salt condensing on the turbine blades, and ultimately ran without the engine cowling, but the boat did finish. But it was so quiet that you could actually hear the roosterstail water falling back into the bay behind the boat!

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, salt was a problem for the turbines.

The teams during the mid-80s dealt with it in different ways. Miss Bud ran with the
    same types of screens the military used to keep sand out of the helicopter turbines
    in the desert putting the screens in the air intakes to filter out the salt spray which
    usually happened at slow speeds.

Other teams ran flaps that swiveled in the air intake, they all had a different take and
    they all seemed to work.

Say what you will, Bernie Little was boat racing in this country. If it wasn't for his
    participation and sponsorship, none of it would have happened.

BHW

21. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    So the easy hydroplane turbine powered races with the Miss Bud still happen? I remember watching it in TV way back and always liked it. I haven't seen anything with it in a while.

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Bernie Little was involved with all kinds of boat racing not just unlimiteds - he was also involved with off shore racing in the 80's when i was involved with it - he had a two seat Miss Bud with a jet turbine that his driver would take people for a ride - what a blast - Key West to Marathon in 15 minutes!

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The way I vaguely remember it, the APBA split into two different factions and
    things got thrown off the rails for a while. I wasn't next to it as much as in the 80's
    so I dont remember the whole story but probably the usual problems, egos and money.

Bernie also backed many smaller events in and around Florida. He ran F-1 tunnel hull
    boats as well. He brought in a F-1 tunnel hull boat race to Lake Parker in Lakeland
    which was around 1987 or 88. He also tried a similar type event at Harbor Island in
    Tampa but the event never got off the ground because manatees slipped past the
    netting and got into the course area.

Bernie could be seen tooling around Scott Lake in Lakeland taking on anyone who'd
    race him. He was one of the true characters.

The Unlimiteds still exist and have an eight race schedule.

Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Schedule | Unlimited Hydroplane Racing

BHW

24. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Just think of the cost of transporting F1 teams halfway around the world!
    Oh but yes, there is obviously much more money in F1: because Bernie demands it.

I keep thinking, if this place in Miami had a future, powerboat racing itself would get involved, take a looksee, schedule some events years' in advance, telling whoever runs the place 'you get it up and going and we will be there, but if not we will simply cancel'.

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When dealing with Miami, however, we have to keep in mind everything happens
    at a glacial pace.

It's one thing to have an idea for a great event, quite another to get action from those
    involved and put things into motion and Ralph Sanchez isn't around any more.

BHW