Scott Rothstein prominent Ft. Lauderdale attorney | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Scott Rothstein prominent Ft. Lauderdale attorney

Discussion in 'Florida' started by GatorFL, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRwd1S26Ik[/ame]

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I think there is a disconnect here because of a few things....

First, to be fair, if we didnt know Scottie, and the same story came out about some random person, we would likely all agree how f'ked up it was.

However, knowing Scottie, I dont believe his motives were based on greed, malice, or to hurt anybody. If anything, I believe he is a victim of his own loyalty and personality of trying to help people. I believe he probably f'ked up because he was trying to assist a client and a friend, and likely put that loyalty too far ahead of good judgement.

I think the disconnect here is that one side says he is guilty, which he likely is. I dont think his friends are claiming his innocence to say he did nothing wrong. Instead, they are shocked and dissapointed to learn of something bad happening to a friend, and dont like to see others kicking him when he is down.

I think those that dont know him just see greed or other things from the stories, and those that know him see a guy that f'ked up. Based upon those perceptions, the back and forth continues.

At this point, I think everyone has debated their position at length, and I dont see anyone changing sides.... it is what it is, unfortunately. But, it would be nice if the back and forth stopped..... lets get back to our car topics, which should be why we are here anyways...

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

ILuv4Res,

I sincerely appreciate this post.

To me, this is the first time someone has had the 'even temperament' to explain some of this stuff, without calling into question the integrity of those with an opposing view. I could be wrong, but I think this post is a departure from the back and forth we have had so far. Thanks.

4. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Scottie is my friend and I wish him and his family the best.

He's a good guy.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    SR admitted to a large con. He hurt people. He lavished money from those hurt people onto other people and charities.

In my opinion, it would be unlikely that his wife Kim was part of the large con. However, it would be difficult for *any* wife to let a court take back her wedding ring.

Yes, she is accused of money laundering, and there is a list of "hidden" assets that *to me* appears to be the contents of one small safe. Presuming taht she kept her big ring inside it, she was probably under tremendous female/wife natural pressure to not report said "safe."

That would be a mistake, if so, even if somewhat understandable. SS was probably emotionally attached to her and if anything, made that "mistake" worse even with good intentions.

I would have advised otherwise.

6. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Depends upon the screw up.

Art

7. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    What scares me to death is the thought of people actually watching the reality show that Scott was trying to sell, "Ponzi Princess". With Kim likely to be spending time behind bars now perhaps she can do a show together with SR called "the Ponzi princess and putz"

8. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

If you read the list, it is pretty extensive.

One would be hard pressed to suggest that this is just the contents of a drawer or a small safe. Oh, sure, the items may fit in there, but the list is pretty extensive. over 100 gold coins and bars, 10 watches, two rings with 12 ct. diamonds. Other rings.

It was a substantial list and it was highly valuable and there could be no doubt that the government repossessed those items. And there could not be any ambiguity in the order to return them.

Further, remember the shopping spree she went on AFTER SR was arrested and before his credit cards were cut off.

9. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Have you ever had a trophy wife who shops?! Of course she is going to shop. Did the court order her to not shop? Many trophy wives have no clue about how credit cards get paid. Are people really so deep into this rabbit hole that they are calling her an ax murderer for shopping?!

Come on. Is anyone willing to say that her shopping was illegal? Not wrong headed...illegal?

And yes, the contents on that list would fit into even my smallest safe (nightstand handgun safe excluded).

Still, just to be clear (because taking what someone says out of context is an internet hobby worldwide), what she did...and what SS allowed (or worse), was ill-advised.

Report everything. Everything.

After reporting everything, she has the moral highground. She would have been in great position to plead for her wedding ring on grounds that SR's legitimate earnings were sufficient to buy it and that it had special sentimental value because of her lifelong dream and love.

Many judges would have let her then keep it.

No jail for her that way. No fine for her that way. And she would have had a mid six figure item tk hock to start a new life.

Just my opinion.

10. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I think it's below F-Chat to scrutinize a member a lot of us know well and care about.

There's a lot of stone throwing in this thread. I'm disappointed in some of you guys... :(

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I promised I'd stay out. I lied.

Steph, really? The guys indicted on multiple Federal counts. He may seem to be one hell of a nice guy, but if he did what he's accused of, then he's one heel of a nice guy felon who helped hide assets that would have been used to repay people burned in a billion dollar Ponzi scheme.

That makes for an interesting definition of nice guy in my book.

You're disappointed in US? How about Scottie? You maybe a little disappointed in him? Will you be if he's convicted or pleads out?

Dave

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    and I'll be disappointed if they don't repro Kims implants.

It's a wide world...

13. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Hey, I got banned for that!

14. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Finding out the someone you have feelings for is not a good person can be traumatic.

Art

15. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

You are probably right.

BTW, I still have my first wife--24 years and counting. I consider her a trophy. And, she is not a big shopper. Guess I am lucky.

As for the value of things.

Imagine a cube on your desk. Imagine it is 5 inches wide, 5 inches tall and 5 inches deep. That shape is a volume of about 2,048 cubic centimeters.

Now, imagine that Cube is pure platinum. Here are a few fun facts.

That cube, today, is worth over $2.4 million.

Interestingly enough, Platinum is quite dense at 21.45 g/cm3. So that 5 by 5 by 5 block of platinum on your desk--small as it is--would weigh almost 100 pounds.

If that block were 13.75 inches on each side--not all that big--it would weigh a ton.

Thought this thread needed a nerd break.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    All of your posts suggest that only you know the truth. By your words, you continuously infer your opinion trumps all others. You are obviously self serving.

Words in my mouth? Can you read? You suggested I was defending someone, I said I do not know if the accusations are true or not, and neither do you. In the future, since you can not read, please, do not bother to comment on anything I write. OK?

To answer your question, for the last time, do I have any doubts about the innocence of SS? I, just as you, are not privy to any of the conversations, any of the actual events that are the basis of accusations. I know that jealousy, arrogance, can affect the actions of prosecutors, etc, and that many indictments get thrown out due to a lack of evidence, or even a lack of substance. I have no idea, and neither do you, if SS is guilty or not. I do not make such rash judgements, I wait until all of the facts are in, and at this time, all of the facts are not available to any of us. I have not drawn any conclusions either way. I am not so arrogant to think that I know more than anyone else in such situations. And yes, I am inferring that you are arrogant.

At this time, my attitude is a wait and see. I did not know OJ Simpson, but I made no such judgement of him. And I still have no idea of his guilt as I was not present when his ex was killed.

You have made a National Enquirer style judgement, I can not respect that. I stick to my opinion that a person is innocent until proven guilty. What I am suggesting is that my knowledge of SS makes it difficult to comprehend guilt, but that I also understand that we all make bad desicions. Even you with your opinions based on conjecture. Do not put words into my mouth. Do not change what I just stated to try to justify your myopic brain.

Chill? I wish this was in P&R, I would tell you where to put the chill pill. For that last time, I am not privy to anything that has occured in this situation, that can give me and indication of anyone's guilt. Indictments mean nothing, the final jury count is all that matters and that has not yet happened.

And you are not privy to any more information than I am, so your opinions are meaningless.

Absolutely meaningless.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    And you know this how? What is your proof?

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Your comments are fact, black and white on this forum, easy to be disapponted in your conclusions based on nothing but conjecture. Steph is correct, what is it you know that the rest of us do not?

Absolutely nothing.

At this point in time, no one, not you or anyone else on this forum have any factual information to suggest that anyone that knows SS should be disappointed. When the jury verdict is announced, then and only then can one suggest surprise and disappointment.

Steph is correct.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I have a trphy wife, but I do all the shopping!

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Most your wives are disgusting but consider the men behind them.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, dear. Looks like ^Someone^ woke up on the wrong side of the train wreck.

via rubber ducky

22. rally_maksubie

rally_maksubie Karting

Jul 13, 2005
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Raymond Agcaoili

Likewise, Scottie and I worked at Ferrari Central Florida years ago. I wish him and his family the best.

23. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    If he enters a plea, there will be no jury verdict. A plea means he will give up his right to a trial by jury. That is a HUGE thing to do...to give up one's Constitutional rights. In my experiences, that is not done if one is innocent. Of course, I have no information that he has entered a plea yet, only what has been reported. However, if he enters a plea, would it then be appropriate to be surprised and disappointed?

24. FLY YELLOW

FLY YELLOW Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2008
    Boca Raton,FL
    Full Name:
    John Vag....
    #499 FLY YELLOW, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    And Jim should as well. Sorry Jim, I have met you a few times, but statements like that lead me to believe you and (some) of your other friends here, are ones I have absolutely no desire to meet at a car/social event. This whole useless drama filled attack on someone that we here in Florida care about (again...NOT saying he's innocent, just that we care about him and his family) was one that makes me NOT want to do any F-Chat get together as I did in 2010 (F-Chat does Vegas).
    I came on F-Chat to meet people who had the same desire for Ferrari's as I do, and I'm happy to say I have. I have enjoyed many events with them, and have became close friends with quit a few. Scottie was one of them. So why is it so hard to understand why we get upset when someone from the outside starts saying things here on the Florida Section, knowing how we feel a about him? That shows me that you guys DO NOT care about other people's feelings. AGAIN, again, and again......we are NOT saying he is innocent, just that he is a friend and it hurts when people that don't know him would like to see him burn in hell!

25. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    As I said in a PM to someone a few moments ago...

I don't know why any of you care so much. You don't know him as the rest of us do. The fact that those of us that know him are standing up for him should say something of his character. It just blows my mind that some of you can spend so much time and negative energy on someone you've never even met.

This is just another low for F-Chat, and it reminds me of the Nazi witch hunt against Shamile that took place months ago. That whole situation was ABSURD. So many of you are so busy passing judgment and looking down your noses at others. I don't know all the details, but it's safe to assume that nothing is as black and white as some of you suggest. Doesn't it get exhausting to stir pots, create level 10 drama, and search for ways to ostracize members of our community? Life must be pretty boring offline... ;)

No one here is without flaws. We've all made mistakes, whether it be of the legal kind or otherwise. Fortunately for most of us, our mistakes aren't national news. Scottie has been a member of our FL family for many years and when I had a less than perfect moment, he was there for me. We NEED more people like that on this forum. We are supposed to be supportive of one another. Ousting people for ****ing up is just ridiculous elitist bull****. There are plenty of *******s on this forum that deserve a scarlet letter, but Scottie isn't one of them.

It sure must be nice to live in utopia and be without flaw and sin, but I prefer the real world and my less than perfect friends. I'll save a seat in hell and a martini for each of you. :)