A few more asking prices from the "golden years" | FerrariChat

A few more asking prices from the "golden years"

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bannishg, Sep 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 bannishg, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    fedgery77 likes this.
  2. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #2 bannishg, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Thanks, these are always fun to read.

I enjoy going through my old and really old magazines and perusing the classifieds. The other day I was doing so in 1950's Motorsports, and "could" have had a dozen Bugattis for a couple hundred pounds sterling.

I wonder if Mr. Niles has any pictures of the 206 SP he was selling in 1974?

Mbandarra3 likes this.
  4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Most of those ended up in France...

5. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    Imagine if you had a time machine and $1 million. You would have the worlds finest motorcar collection.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What about the 280,000 mile Duesenberg? I wonder how many miles it has now?

7. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thank you for posting. Its fun traveling back in time. I wish I was born just 40 years earlier.

8. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for posting. A fun read. Any predictions regarding the current speculative bubble? ;o)

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Great! Many thanks for posting.

Can you tell us from which magazine and year you have the 300S-advert? Seems to me that the clip you posted here in incomplete...

10. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Quite honestly, I have no idea where prices are going. One thing's for sure, there seems to be an infinite supply of hyper-wealthy collectors who are willing to get their hands on their dream car at any price, even if it's 8-figures. The ones at the top (GTO, Californias, 250TR, D-Jags etc...) will probably continue to climb even higher if more billionaires continue to enter the market. They will only drop in value if interest wanes (which I think is unlikely). I haven't put too much thought into the market on these cars chiefly because they are so beyond my budget that it boggles my mind.

11. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #16 bannishg, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Tiny Gould & Sons in PA. Hemmings Motor News, July 1970.

Also, I know I'll be asked about the '64 GTO offered for $9500. That car was being offered by Algar Ferrari Sales & Service in Autoweek, Jan. 2, 1971.

I superimposed the abbreviated name of each magazine, as well as the date in red or green text into each ad:

R&T = Road & Track

HMN = Hemmings Motor News

AWK = Autoweek

FML = Ferrari Market Letter

HRM = Hot Rod Magazine

MT = Motor Trend

DR = DuPont Registry of Fine Autos

Also, the dates are in MM/DD/YY format.

For those who really want to dissect the past market on these cars, I also have USD to GBP conversion rates going back to 1946, as well as inflationary adjustment data. Just let me know.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Many thanks. The Maserati 4CLT-advert refers to chassis #1604.

13. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No problem, I have more Maserati ads if interested. More old ads coming.

14. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Well I do not know where prices are going either. But I disagree with you that as more billionaires enter the market prices will go higher. Billionaires are buying cars because there is not much else to do with money. They are not buying because they are long term car collectors. They view this as simply another asset class. Clearly there is another bubble forming. And it might continue for another year or two. But a correction is coming....
    When interest rates normalize and the 'older generation car collectors flood the market with their collections' price will head in one direction. And it is not up....

15. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #20 bannishg, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

That is probably the case for most cars, even up to the ones in the low 7-figures. However, I think its reasonable to say that there are probably more than 36 billionaires and near-billionaires who want a GTO for aesthetic reasons, not purely for investment. On top of that, I'm sure many GTO owners wouldn't give up their car for all the money in the world. I don't think they'll drop the same way they did in the early '90s because it was almost exclusively Japanese speculators who were paying those outrageous prices, and after the bubble burst in January 1990, it came to an abrupt halt. Now collectors worldwide are paying those outrageous prices.

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ohh yes - very much interested!
    Please post. Thx!

17. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Buy my 1961 Ferrari SWB Berlinetta S/W 2055, orig.
    leather. orig engine, excellent condition, $15,500 and for
    $1.00 more you can buy my 1965 350GT Lamborgini with
    new engine rebuild, but needs TLC. .......

Take advantage of me before the men in white coats
    get me. ......

Love this advert, did the guys in the white coats eventually get him. Like to hear his opinion today.

18. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ron Kellogg always had humorous ads. Personally I would've just taken his offer for the SWB Berlinetta alone @ $14,500.

Ed Niles was known to be witty as well, and so was Mike Sheehan. I think Sheehan was offering a 330GT 2+2, circa 1985, and the ad went something along these lines:

"1965 330 GT 2+2, runs ok, terrible amateur restoration, I wish I could say it's not a piece of crap, but it's a piece of crap. Get this thing away from me for $10k".

I know I have that ad somewhere.....

19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks for posting these ads. I used to read these pubs religiously back in the early 70's through the 80's watching the prices rise and fall. Thought my BB was worth a 1/2 million when I was in my early 30s. I even painted it re-sale red for value purposes. Guess as the saying goes........younger and dumber :eek:

I love the D type Jag ad...........race cams.....geared to 150....great for speedy shopping.

I wonder if the Alfa raced at LeMans by Tim Burkin was the same car just featured in Sports Car Market?

fun stuff