The Emilia 599XX EVO | FerrariChat

The Emilia 599XX EVO

Discussion in '612/599' started by treynor, Sep 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 treynor, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now that the unveiling has occurred, and pictures have hit the press, I am finally ready with the story of how we came to be the oh-so-proud-owners of Ferrari's 1-off Emilia 599XX EVO.

As many of you know, there was a terrible earthquake in Italy in May 12 in the Emilia region of Italy where Ferrari's factories and suppliers are located. In response, Ferrari created a charity auction for the victims in Emilia - and the centerpiece was a new 599XX EVO built specifically for the auction. At the time, I recall thinking that it looked like an amazing car, but that some billionaire or celebrity was probably going to end up winning the auction, and that was a shame because it was a car that enthusiasts (and particularly, Ferrari enthusiasts) like us would treasure.

Fast forward to June 19th. I get a phone call mid-day from James from Ferrari / San Francisco. James knew that Christine and I were thinking about buying an Enzo, and he spent about 30 minutes explaining what the XX auction meant to Ferrari, and also what the Corse Clienti program offered. I was... well, beyond excited. It was the sort of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: to drive a Ferrari race car around some of the iconic tracks of the world, receive 1-on-1 instruction and telemetry analysis, and to help Ferrari provide relief to many of the same people who were part of the Ferrari ecosystem. I called Christine from work and laid it out for her, and her reaction was immediate: do it. I called James back, we assembled the paperwork, and submitted a bid on the auction's XX EVO.

We didn't sleep much that night. I seem to recall waking up several times and visiting the auction site, then watching XX track videos on YouTube until the sun rose and it was time to go to work again. I guesstimated our odds of winning at about 1:3 -- auction prices are very unpredictable and this was a truly special opportunity -- but I was beside myself with anticipation none the less.

The Ferrari auction site closed at 4pm local. At about 9:30am California I was starting to wonder who had won, since I hadn't heard anything, when I got an email from James. It was two sentences -- one congratulating us on winning, and one noting that he was so excited that it had taken him 10 minutes just to type the 30-word note. The rest of the day will forever be etched in my memory - the call with James and Greg at 10am, the conference call with Christine and Marco Mattiacci at noon, Mr. Mattiacci's delightful followup suggestion of a design theme for the XX, more details about the event... it would take pages to describe everything, and I remember it all like it was yesterday.

The presentation was scheduled for Sep 8th, at the F1 race at Monza. And today, here in Italy and nearly three months later, Montezemolo and Alonso and Massa presented us with our car. It was -- surreal, and amazing. The entire Ferrari family has been the most gracious hosts for our trip, and the car is everything we had hoped for - beautiful, aggressive, and set up so both Christine and I can drive it in the Corse Clienti series in 2013.

Enough talk. Pictures will tell the rest of this story!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  2. Ralph K

Ralph K Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2008
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Beautiful car & livery. Congratulations!

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Congrats!! Was following on Twitter
    Kevin

4. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    What was Alonso telling you in that picture?

5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Congratulations....the yellow looks great!

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats! :D

what's the significance of the "512" number? does it mean something to you, the factory, the Emilia region, etc.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    "If you can drive the car quickly, maybe you replace that Massa clown next year!"

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    5 = May and 12 = 2012? > May '12

Very worthwhile and a great story, congrats on the winning bid!
    CH

NürScud likes this.
  9. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Awesome! Congratulations!

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I guess it was so obvious I missed it :eek:

11. cornercompacts

cornercompacts Karting
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2005
    CT
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Excellent post. Congrats and enjoy in good health!

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    great car, great story. I'm sure you will enjoy her like crazy.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Awesome and kudos to you!

Thanks for sharing.

14. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Congrats! Great looking car.
    It must've been awesome to be in the paddock at Monza with Alonso, LdM, and Massa and take delivery of your Ferrari race car. How could it be any better?

Enjoy in good health

15. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    Very best post so far for me! I really envy u:))); You deserve it-- great choice and fantastic story. Drive it in good health. BTW, Christine is beautiful

16. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Congratulations...!! This is amazing. And the car looks fantastic. Very unique with an ''emotional'' value. Enjoy it in good health. Wish you the best for the future.

Best
    Greg

17. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    ... and just 2 secs/lap slower than me at Laguna Seca, too. It'll be interesting to see how our times change as we go through the XX training program.

18. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Stunning car! I can't imagine what driving it is like!

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    THAT is awesome...ie that she shares the track experience with you...sounds like a keeper! :D

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    very cool ...woud love to see you slip some pictures from future events back into this thread later! :D congrats! :)

21. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    congrats!!! very cool

22. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    Absolutely fantastic story and couldn't have went to a better cause!! It's funny, cause I would've had the same thoughts in the beginning, regarding an "average guy" not winning it. Then again, you and your wife are 599 miles from average!! As "E" said below, this has to go down as, by far, the best post I've ever read on FChat, I can't thank you enough for posting your story! I was searching all day to find better pics of your 599XX EVO, which is amazing by the way, only to find them on FChat posted by YOU!! I was just about to fall asleep and after reading your story and thinking about the experience you had today, I'm wide awake now! Haha. Enjoy the rest of your "dream" weekend in Italy, a genuine congrats to you and your wife! Please keep me in mind of you ever need an assistant for your Corse Clienti weekends! Ciao.

Mark C.

23. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Is this a track only car? What does evo mean?
    Ed

25. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Came across these pictures and they reminded me of your posts in the 'Alonso F1 Edition' thread:

Congratulations to the both of you! Looking forward to meeting you at Spa or the Nurburgring next year. Enjoy this great car!

Track only car. 'Evo' means Evolution, to be best recognized by the large rear wing and side exausts.

Gr. Martin