Edwin K. Niles | FerrariChat

Edwin K. Niles

Discussion in 'Who's Who in Ferrari Universe' started by El Wayne, Jan 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #1 El Wayne, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attorney at law by trade, but highly respected in this community for his vast knowledge on all things Ferrari, as well as his willingness to share the stories and photographs from his 50-odd years of experience with the marque. During that time, Ed has owned or traded over 100 Ferrari automobiles, including some very impressive and highly valuable examples. Here's a list of 123 ex-Niles Ferraris compiled by Jarrett Rothmeier:

http://www.scuderia.cc/collections/niles/default.htm

For years, Ed related his stories through articles published in the FCA Southwest Region's Sempre Ferrari magazine and had a regular column in FerrariChat's short-lived online webzine, Velostrada. Today, he continues to contribute occasional articles to the Ferrari Market Letter, but regularly shares his fascinating tales and images on F-Chat's Vintage forum.

[Drawing by Chuck Queener]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr and Il Cavalieri like this.
  2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I bumped into him in an ad from February 1968 R&T:

Ferrari California Roadster. 1958 but you'd never guess it. Extra sharp with new paint and chrome. Outstanding mechanically: 55lbs pressure at an idle! $3995. Ed Niles.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    If you don't do anything else today, click this link, and spend about 5 minutes absorbing the enormity of it - having owned and driven all these great Ferraris. . . . mind-boggling. And he is a great guy! Thanks, Ed, for all you've done for the Ferrari world.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The Chuck Queener illustration was for the cover of an FOC issue back around 1977.

Rode with Ed one time to the Mark Dee's annual picnic run. Left from around Malibu then throught the various canyon roads. Ed had the 166MM with 250GT motor. Lots of go but during the drive Ed said that the brakes were so good that open the doors for speed brakes would probably be as effective. Later the car was with Bob Smith and he drove it from Texas to an FCA National at Elkhart Lake.

Jeff

Il Cavalieri likes this.
  5. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I met Ed Niles in the days of the FOC in Los Angeles when he wrote for the newsletter as 'Fast Eddy' (I wrote as 'Mack E. Narossa'). Enjoyed his company and his anecdotes last week when he joined us at the Elysée in spite of the rain.

6. scuderia328

scuderia328 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2010
    FRANCE
    #6 scuderia328, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Hi, the link to ex-Niles cars seems to be dead. Does anyone have another way to get to it? Thanks!

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    SAD NEWS:
    Edwin Kurtz Niles passed away 3 August 2021.
    He was 96 years.
    Ed was born 27 November 1924 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. For decades he worked as an attorney in Los Angeles, CA.
    On 15 October 1959 Ed purchased his first (used) Ferrari while on holiday in Italy. It was 0331 EU, a cherry red 250 Europa Coupé Pinin Farina. Over the next 50 years he purchased and sold about 145 Ferraris, mostly in Europe, and re-sold them in USA. Ed was instrumental in the Ferrari Owners Club USA (California) and had an immense knowledge about the cars we all love.
    I had the great pleasure of personally knowing Ed for more than 40 years and about 15 years ago he allowed me to acquire his entire archive and files. Ed was a true friend and a real Ferrari legend.

Thank you so much Ed for all you did for the worldwide Ferrari community.
    RIP.

Marcel Massini

olivier, NürScud, ggjjr and 25 others like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    NürScud, of2worlds, Harry-SZ and 7 others like this.
  10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Rest in Peace.

Cheers to a long life lived well.

Forza!!!

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    very sad news.

condolences to his family and friends

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Amen.

13. Restoman

Restoman Rookie

Aug 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Randall Bush
    Enough cannot be said about this wonderful man and all he did for the Ferrari community. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Godspeed, Ed!

KenGoldman likes this.
  14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm going to miss his posts here. The definition of a legend in my book. Hopefully he had prepared enough of his memoirs for a release. Rest in Peace, Mr. Niles.

Cameron Niles likes this.
  15. Cameron Niles

Cameron Niles Rookie

Aug 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cameron Niles
  16. Cameron Niles

Cameron Niles Rookie

Aug 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cameron Niles
    Thank you all for your condolences. Just prior to passing he had sent his memoirs entitled " Adventures In Ferrari Land" to the publishers. Thank Steve Tillack for urging him on. It should be out before Christmas. October at the earliest.

El Wayne, NürScud, ggjjr and 18 others like this.
  17. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    On the Mount Rushmore of Ferraristas. RIP

Jack-the-lad and bernardo66 like this.
  18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  19. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Cameron,

Your dad and I have exchanged correspondence for over 45 years, and I shall truly miss him. Really a giant in the Ferrari world, knowledgeable and so willing to share. I say a long life well lived. May he RIP.

Warm regards,

Robert

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    He will be missed. Rest In Peace.
    Sincerely,
    Art S.

Texas Forever and Il Cavalieri like this.
  21. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Your words surprised me two weeks ago for R Merritt and you now.
    Thank you for sharing with us your photographs, your knowledge.
    Thank you Ed!

All my condoléances for his family

22. CalSpyder

CalSpyder Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    California
    Truly a legend. My deepest condolences to his family as well. Always there to help keep the records straight about the earlier Ferraris. Helped and encouraged me when I thought about writing my book.

We'll all see ya later, my friend.

George C.

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    I’m a member of Ferrari-SW Region, but only since January 2018 when I acquired my first Ferrari, although I’d been involved with the Ferrari Gestione Sportiva F1 team as a key supplier and an engineering consultant from 1997 to 2016 when I retired.

Of course, who in the Ferrari community hasn't heard of Ed Niles or have read about his exploits, but regrettably, I never met him personally though I truly wish I could've shared a glass (or two) of vino (or his favorite libation) and be "Little Grasshopper" to learn much more Ferrari info, data and history from a knowledgeable expert like Ed. I sort of envy those who've had that valuable opportunity of having been in his circle of friends and contacts as noted in preceding posts herein.

So given all the wonderful tributes and testimonies to Ed as a great Ferrari guru, may his family be filled with pride and consolation that Ed lived a long, fulfilling life and may he now rest in the peace of God's Kingdom.

Bryanp and Texas Forever like this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Read about Ed Niles and saw his Ferrari ads in R&T starting 60 years ago, but never got to meet him. In all that time, I never heard or read anything but positives about him. Quite a tribute.

25. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Just saw this. Ed was such a great piece of the Ferrari world, and this forum. Always enjoyed his posts, being either informative or helpful. He will be missed.

BigTex likes this.