1977 308GTB Needs Love | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1977 308GTB Needs Love

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave, Jun 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Sorry for your troubles!

Doesn't it make you sick?? I am a retired LEO, and I have dealt with these savages on a daily basis...they are the scum of the earth.

I hate to say it, but the only thing for you to do is "MOVE".

I wonder how many of them voted for John McCain??

Oh, by the way, you are now officially a "Racist"!!

Sorry for the rant...brings back memories!

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    #27 Dave, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    #28 Dave, Jun 5, 2011
    Driver side door damage has been repaired.
    But the repair shop lost the upper window assembly, as you can see it missing from these pictures. I have purchased an upper assembly but it needs a little reworking.
    I also have a new driver side window which will need to be installed.
    I also have other extra parts for the car that have yet to be installed, like euro front turn signals. As well as the original parts which were removed for the upgrades, and new spare parts in the box, like a new clutch/bearing which will be included in the sale.

I will shoot some more photos when it cools down a little so you will have a better idea of the exterior condition. If you are looking for a class winning show car, this car is not for you. If you are looking for a garage queen, this car is not for you. If you are looking for a car never driven in the rain, this car is not for you. If you are looking for a car that was babied, this car is not for you. I purchased the car with 27K miles on it if memory serves. It now has 63530K miles on the clock, with less that 10 miles on new timing belts, which I installed around 6/15/10.
    At this point I'm entertaining serious offers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    By the way as a 77, this is a Non-Cat car for those that are interested.
    It does not have smog pumps, and the thermoreactor muffler has been replaced with a Tubi.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    #30 Dave, Jun 5, 2011
    Enquiring minds want to know... So many have said why don't you move?
    I guess I'm a little stubborn, or a little stupid, but I love where I live, that is except for the high rise next door that needs to be imploded. The guy doing the shooting was a 67 year old former Vietnam Vet marksman. The problem continued for months as local law enforcement was stonewalled by the Housing Authority who refused to cooperate until I went to the press. After stories ran in the paper and on television they were all, Oh we are doing all we can to stop this. It wasn't long after they caught the guy, that his friends threatened my life in retaliation and started stalking me. I now own a class II vest, have my concealed carry permit, and pack a 45. As well as have federal stamps for my little friend, the Silenced Sig556 SBR .
    So... Life is good!

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dave, it's a shame that you have to deal with crap like this, but now you are moving in the right direction. YOU should not have to move because some sh!thead lives across the street. Take back the neighborhood!

Birdman

7. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My cars are one thing, but if somebody did that to one of my dogs I'd end up in jail for a real long time.

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Thanks Jonathan, it's been frustrating to say the least.
    The wife said at some point we would need to downsize, but I don't see that happening any time soon, as my adult son has moved back in and dealing with issues from the war in Iraq.

9. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Good luck Dave and I hope your son finds peace. Bless him.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    After the hurricanes things got hairy here....

It calmed real quick once I was seen daily getting something like that above, out of my trunk and walking the property lines..."just checking", before entering the house.

Word got to the High School.
    Word got to the trailer park..
    Word got to the hari Krishna Temple....

Glass breakage at Val's place went WAY down.

Call Mark at Sphere Motorsports here in Houston, Dave, as he is making a hard run at buying one of mine for total resto and your example would be prefect for his needs....

Seriously...I had the number but my cell went in the pool, search Texas Section for his thread...no, here it is, in my business cell phone...832 277 7062

11. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Who could ever do that sort of thing to a doggie like yours? Unbelievable. I have literally not slept well after reading your story Dave! The worst part is that after all you've been through, you are now forced to sell what you love so much! That car has been well taken care of, and all by yourself. I admire that. I would love to see you move to a better neighbourhood, where you and your family (including the dog) won't have to deal with the stress involved with living nextdoor to psychopaths. Man, having to walk in a vest packing a .45 is just unimaginable to me here in Amsterdam(at least, the part of town where I live:))
    I really hope you can put your stubbornness aside, move out of there and keep what's so important to you: your health in the first place, and ofcourse the Ferrari. How would your wife feel about moving? All the best Dave!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You need to take that gun over to the Body Shop and stick it up his......whatever, until they FIND that "lost" window and mullion....IMO

Call FerrParts and get a price for one.

It'll be more than you PAID those dope smoking Bondo spreaders...

"Lost it" WTF????

Seriously that's unacceptable, they are very rare and hard to find.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, the Muslims DID stab that Radio DJ to death, as he was riding along on his bicycle.....normally pretty peaceful tho i have heard....

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This car has "good bones"...

As you point out it is a rare steel NON CAT carbed example, they were only made from late 1976 thru late '77.

15. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I wish I could take that car off your hands, but I know it is worth more than I can pay right now.

I am a landlord and property investor, and I have a few suggestions for you before you do anything drastic. I'm not a lawyer, and I rarely use one, but this is how I would proceed if the situation is not being rectified:

Around here we have a simple solution for problem properties the one on your block. There is a special squad down at zoning and code enforcement. You just document the problems at the address and make a complaint. Have all your neighbors sign it too. Code enforcement will send a tight ass building inspector out who writes up about a hundred code violations. Even a really well maintained building will always have multiple violations - they are just usually not enforced. Even one major violation results in a red tag with means the certificate of occupancy is suspended. That means immediate evacuation of all residents and relocation at the owner's expense. The building is then boarded up with all the costs being assessed to the property taxes.

The owners are faced with the impossible task of bringing the property up to current code, or condemnation for the unpaid balance owed the city. If they make a good faith effort the city will usually work with them, but they usually just sign the property over to the city rather than risk their personal assets being garnished for delinquent taxes. Then come the bulldozers.

Of course, it helps to have some juice at city hall to move the process along speedily, and a well connected landlord can contest the actions, but it has proven very effective in rehabilitating bad neighborhoods. For some slumlords, this is the only kind of messege that gets through to them. I can tell you that as a landlord, I have become very careful who I rent to since they started this program.

I would also invest in a security camera system. Submitting video to your local news station gets action. I am sure the police don't care much about your car being vandalized, but animal abuse is always a hot button issue. Animal rights groups would be happy to publicize this atrocity for you. And while you are at it, leave a few items you no longer want such as broken power tools in your driveway. You will have video evidence of crimes in no time.

As a final note, the property owners do share liability for damages caused by their tenants. It costs less than two hundred dollars to file a suit here in small claims. With a sympathetic judge and any evidence at all, you stand a good chance of collecting damages. People generally hate landlords, so pay a little more for a jury trial. You can legally offer to pay current or former residents to testify against the landlord, and they are usually happy to make trouble for them. Just put up some flyers around the building, and you will have more witnesses than you can use.

Even if you do lose in court, you will cost the owner's insurance company thousands, so they are usually eager to settle. While you are at the courthouse, go ahead and slap a lien on the property, as well as any others the owner has in your county. If they want to sell, or refinance, they will have to get the lien cleared first, and since going through the courts can take months or years they will usually pay a settlement.

Some people will say I am being overly litigeous. I just don't take the law into my own hands. People at city hall are being paid good money to prevent this sort of thing. As a landlord, I am subject to all these methods myself, so I don't hesitate to use them when called for. When my tenants have caused problems for neighbors, I have alway promptly paid for any damages to avoid just this sort of thing. Your neighbors should do the same. You are only trying to get the existing laws enforced. By clearing up a nuisance, you are doing the whole community a service. It is your right as a tax payer to live unmolested in your home. And by the way, I would also file suit against your body shop (once you get your car back). They are notoriously difficult to collect from, but the threat might get your parts replaced, which is the least you deserve.

Criminals will always be criminals, but the owner's of this property should be accountable for the mess they have made. If the building is publically owned, this applies even more so. I think that you will find hitting the greedy slumlords in their pocket book to be infinately more satisfying than simmering with anger at the dumb animals they are collecting rent from.

16. Kiwiboy308

Kiwiboy308 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Dave! What is it with you Americans and guns!? We have issues here in Australia but that sort of thing you and your family have been through is just ridiculous!

I hope it all works out for you as no one deserves to go through that sort of cr@p! All the best for the sale too mate!

Cheers

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Any luck with the sale, Dave???

18. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    This was one of my biggest concerns in buying a Ferrari. Dealing with the dumb a-- who is pissed off because of your success. I baffled as to why they would not have arrested him. What if he would have targeted children? Hope everything works out for you.

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well long time no post!

An update to the situation.

The guy who shot both my dog and car is in hospice care dying, so all charges against him have been dropped. Karma is a ***** is it not?

However his thug buddies still live next door, and any attempts to work on the car have resulted in stuff being thrown over the fence at night. I really love this car, so once again I'm trying to find her a new home where crazy bastards won't hurt her.

This car has had everything done to it to make it reliable daily driver before all this **** started happening. It would make a great project for someone with the time and money to repaint her, or hell, drive it with the paint like it is if you wanted. I know I could make some serious cash by parting her out, but I would rather find this great driver a safe home.

If you are interested drop me a line.

Thanks!

Dave

20. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    It's incredible what people can do just for (their) fun... I'm speechless.

Your car is a dream but there is half the world between us, so I can't even start to think about it.

I hope that you will find a real lover of this kind of car soon.

Regards,
    Alessandro

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You should sneak into hospice posing as a concerned relative, and pop a few pellets into his sorry azz......

Glad to see your thread topped up!

Good luck man!

Send it down, my #20405 is heading to the paint booth, I can '2 for 1 it"!!!
    You can pick it up in Austin at the F1 party, all shiny...

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How far are you, from GT Hll???

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I just recently acquired Dave's car and I would like to chat with him but he hasn't logged in since September. It still needs some TLC but not near as much as when Dave sold it.

JuLiTrO likes this.