I'm moving to Abu Dhabi .... | FerrariChat

I'm moving to Abu Dhabi ....

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Dipsomaniac, Aug 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    An era for me is coming to an end & I'm leaving hot & humid Singapore for an even hotter Abu Dhabi. It's been in the pipeline since the beginning of the year & having lived in Bahrain in the mid 1990's, I do have an idea of what to expect.

The move should be completed in September, so I'd be interested in any tips people might have on UAE living, where to live (AD or Dubai & commute), what to look out for or avoid, and more importantly what to drive.

Coming from the prolific Singapore section, the biggest culture shock might be the lack of updates in the M.E section of Fchat, but I hope I can stir up so more interest once I arrive.

I'm keen to make contact with fellow Fchatters within the region so anyone interested please drop me a line.

Derek K

2. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Head over the the Cheesecake Factory talk to James Howard. I worked with him while he was at the Utah store. It's their first international store he should still be there in September. PM me if you do decide and I will drop him a line

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Derek,

I'm in Kuwait, and my wife and I sometimes 'vacation' (for a weekend) in Bahrain, but haven't been to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for at least five years.

Everyone I know that knows says that Abu Dhabi is a much better place to live in than Dubai: Less traffic, relatively cheaper housing, etc.

What will you be doing there? PM if you'd prefer.

Mike

4. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    Maybe I'll run into Sheldon & the gang there. I'll look James up once I get into AD, coz I love cheesecake.

5. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    Hey Mike, funny that you should say that as I've had more people tell me Dubai is more fun to live & rents are actually cheaper due to oversupply. Anyway Mrs K is liaising with some property agents & is presently favouring either a villa on Saadiyat Island or a condo on the Corniche, which will hopefully save me a commute.

I'm in finance & I'm joining one of the local banks to head up the markets trading business. I'd imagine most expats in AD are in the oil & gas business.

Oh & maybe you should earn some extra frequent flyer miles & holiday in Abu Dhabi next time.

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Hahaha... I'm not sure the extra fifty miles or so would even be a blip on the radar screen. :D

Seriously thought... things may have turned around over the last five years, and the prices of rentals in Dubai dropped, and with stability the rents stayed the same or even gone up in Abu Dhabi...

Interesting.

Make sure your wife has the chance to ask about traffic noise in each location... the Corniche may be noisy...

Mike

7. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Derrick,
    Let me know if you are hiring :).. Lol

Enjoy Abu Dhabi, I prefer it to Dubai :)

8. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    #8 BANANA, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Rent is higher in Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai, the traffic is heavier and parking is a nightmare in the city too.
    Eventhough Dubai rental prices have gone up slightly this year, it is still cheaper than Abu Dhabi. That is why there are people that choose to live in Dubai and commute everyday the 70 or so miles each way from the Dubai border to AD but they usually fall in the lower income bracket and cannot afford the AD rental prices.

I suggest that you do not even think of commuting as it's extremely boring and tiering and will end up costing more once you filter in the cost of fuel and car maintenance.
    If you are going to be a one car household I would suggest a Japanese 4x4 like a Toyota or Nissan these things were built for the climate here with fantastic reliability and AC systems.

If you have any questions regarding life in the UAE feel free to shoot me a pm.

Regards,

9. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    Thanks Banana. I agree about the commute from Dubai & it's never been my first choice, but an option for my wife if she wanted to be in a more "happening" town. All signs suggest we will look for something in AD first & foremost.

We'll definitely be a 2 car household at least so I will probably look for a "practical" car for her & something more sporty for me. I've been checking out the car websites and I have to admit the prices are refreshingly cheap compared to what I am use to in Singapore (i.e. I could get 3 x 458's in AD for the price of 1 in Singapore). She wants another C63 but I'm leaning towards an ML63 or X5M. Even though we don't have kids I'd prefer she have a little extra armor around her at least while she gets use to driving on the other side of the road.

10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have lived in the UAE for almost 8 years, one of them (2011) spent living in AD. There is a reason most people would rather commute 220 km round trip each day from Dubai.

11. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    haha is there really that big a difference between the two cities? I cud do without the commute but I want the Mrs to be happy as well

12. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    I love UAE. My father used to work 10 years there.
    I ve never been to Abu Dhabi though. I think you are allowed to register one car per person. Mind the radars. They used to give you a 50$ fine regardless your speed. Now they may confiscate your car. I hope traffic jam is less in Abu Dhabi because Dubai is a true nightmare.
    Im not sure how exotics would behave under 45 degrees Celcious. Most people there buy Toyotas, especially Land Cruisers and everything is 4wd. There are many muscle cars also like Challengers and Mustangs, CLS,s, Panameras etc. Last time i was there i saw an Mc Laren MP4. Nice.

13. 03LX470

03LX470 Rookie

Feb 24, 2012
    I'm also in finance in AD & although I commute from Dubai I would not recommend it. I have a joint family situation which I'd like to keep so moving to AD is not ideal for me. Also there is more to do / social life in Dubai so I would like the wife & kids to enjoy that and I can sacrifice a bit by commuting.

In terms of what to drive there should ideally be a separate car for the commute (if you choose to commute) with limited / predictable depreciation for high usage and should therefore be pre-owned, something within the Toyota/ Lexus family.

Besides the commute car, there is a wide variety available. Having bought several cars over the years I would be glad to advice which dealerships to avoid or the required dd in case of pre-owned. Just PM me if you have any specific query.

There is a common terminology here with regards to cars. Customers and dealerships frequently say "full options". However "full options" can mean different things so ask for a conplete list of options to compare. AD dealerships generally are more friendly & negotiable. Dubai dealerships sometimes appear to be more expensive as their "full options" cars can have more equipment. For instance, when considering a Porsche grade where Bose is not standard, you'll hardly see a AD sold Porsche with optional Bose but you'll hardly see a Dubai sold Porsche without the optional Bose.

14. aazizkhalid

aazizkhalid Karting

Aug 4, 2012
    DUBAI UAE
    You can have as many cars as you like under your name.. i live in dubai and have 4.. cars do get locked up if you are exceeding speed limits by more than 60km/h, and even then you can avoid the lockup by paying a legal $1000 penalty.. fines under 60km excess speeding is around $200..
    And mate, this is the home of exotic cars.. there are many many many... probably some of the best performing showrooms of various exotics in the world... porsche has confirmed its dubai showroom to be the highest turnover..
    Usually best to have a 4WD + a sports car..

Weather is perfect for 7 months, bad for 2, and horrible for the remainig 3... All cars including exotics sold here are GCC spec so can handle the heat... i wouldnt recommend importing a euro spec car here

15. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been in Abu Dhabi 3 weeks now & I'm starting to get the hang of the place. I'll be moving out of the hotel this weekend & into a serviced apartment which will be nice to have a bit of space around me for a change, instead of stepping over my wife's massive suitcases!

We haven't found anywhere to live as yet but we have decided to stay in Abu Dhabi over the Dubai & commute option (thank goodness). I'm leaving the choice up to the Mrs & she's looked at everything from apartments in Etihad Towers to villa's at the St Regis Saadiyat so far. She's actually pushing me to buy one of the Saadiyat villas but I need to do some proper homework before I commit to something on that scale.

Car wise I've rented a buzbox by the month to get around whilst I adjust to the roads, drivers & LHD, and haven't given much thought to a more permanent option. That being said, I am actually quite amazed at the lack of "nice" cars on Abu Dhabi roads. I know it's not Dubai, but I've been driving to/from the office everyday for 2 weeks now and I've only seen 1 Ferrari in that time (white FF) and a couple of Gallardo's. That being said the boss at work drives a Panamera Turbo & S65 so at least I get to see them each day. Am I just on the roads at the wrong time or is there really not that many exotics on the roads in Abu Dhabi?

16. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    hmm yes I have been pre-warned .. something I'll have to get use to or else

I've seen a few flash showrooms around my office in Abu Dhabi as well. What's the story on buying a Dubai registered car when you live in Abu Dhabi?
    1/ are you allowed? & 2/ if you are do you have to transfer it to AD plates?

that is the plan .. something with a lot of metal around it for the wife, and something more my 'speed' for me ;)

The rubber parts (buttons, air vents etc) must still melt like other hot & humid countries right? Otherwise Singapore/Malaysia cars wud all be RHD GCC versions.

17. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    So can you register more than one car on your name in Abu Dhabi?

18. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Yes. I had several. (Now am back in Dubai).

Your car is registered where you live. Normally that is where your residency visa is issued from, but you can have an AD visa and live in Dubai. You can register the car in Dubai, just be prepared to prove you live there with a copy of your lease, utility and phone bills, etc.

It is a pain, because you need to do it for every car you buy and refister. If you are a car person you will eventually own a bunch (we have 5) as collecting is infectious.

You also will have to perform annual registration renewals. A bit of a hassle, but not that bad.

19. Dr.458

Dr.458 Karting

Sep 13, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    I now live in Dubai, I'm a GCC member so things might be different with me (us).

I used to live in Sweden, Saudi Arabia and now Dubai. Drive my super car everyday to work. If there is one thing I know about Dubai is this "it rocks" ;)

Drop me a PM if you need any help.

20. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    I am starting to learn that nothing is easily done, and red tape is just a part of every day life.

The wife is already concerned about what might happen if I catch your infectious collection disease :) With cars in the UAE costing about a third of what they do in Singapore, it's scary to think that I can replace both the F430 Spider & C63 for less than what I sold the C63 for back in Singapore!

21. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    If I thought I could deal with the daily commute I would actually consider living in Dubai .. but I'm already hating daily commute in from Qaryat Al Beri.

Thanks for the offer .. I'll definitely be dropping you a pm.

22. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Since you probably knew the big price difference, howcome you didnt sell your cars is Singapore so you can buy others in Dubai for much less?

23. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    You have to learn to walk before you can run my friend. When you move countries there's more to worry about than just what car am I going to drive .. or so my wife keeps telling me!

24. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    How often you relocate?
    Also domestic used car market there may be a bit restrictive on sports cars, since local people there prefer mostly SUV's and luxury sedans. However i think importing a car is subjected to mild taxation and restrictions so this is an option

25. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    Of course I knew the price of cars in the UAE v Singapore, but whether I sold my Singapore cars or not is pretty much irrelevant to what & when I buy something in Abu Dhabi.

When I've relocated in the past I wud usually say it is for 3-5 years .. but in reality it has worked out to be +6 years.

Given the local market I am starting to think that I'll end up with an SUV for the wife (like an X6M), a sports saloon for me (E63 maybe) & a sports car of some kind. Now've got to find a place to live with enough carparking.