Why Are 348's so Cheap? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Why Are 348's so Cheap?

Discussion in '348/355' started by VTChris, May 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    We whine like everyone else does :)
    We just may be more vocal

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Whole heartedly agree....I bought mine to drive it, not to stare at it parked in the garage....also, I didn't buy it to profit from it, that's what real estate is for...the "profiting" I receive from my 348 are the endless smiles it gives me each time I look at it and drive it :D

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    348 owners should feel fine. With the glut of used 360s and F430s on the market, the mantle of "entry level Ferrari" will soon pass.

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    With the exception of 3 pedal 360's. Not many to choose from and it's driving me nuts

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    If you look at performance, panache, and intangibles, the best sports car bargains now would be the 348, Turbo Esprit, and XK 8. Any I missed?

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great attitude! :D

Personally, as someone trying to get into one, I'd like to see prices depressed - though I realise that some owners looking for a change might equate that to me wishing them financial loss (sorry guys!). I do worry a little bit about the goal posts moving if more people realise how fantastic a car the 348 is and sale prices perk up. It'd make it easier for me buy one if the prices stay low and I wouldn't care about any potential investment opportunity as I plan on driving it often. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Andrew, now is as good a time as any to pounce on one, but I know you have a 10-year plan in mind ;)

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, if I can beat the 10-year plan then all the better. :D

Just not there yet. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. hobomidget

hobomidget Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2012
    North Westerner
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #284 hobomidget, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    I am sure no likes to make a bad investment. These guy that complain probably conn their wives into believing that they made a wise investment. Well, a ferrari is an investment just like enron and Freddie mac is an investment. Come on, Man up and just say Fu** it! I'm gettin a Ferrari and there's nothing you can do about it! (woman)

(you might as well have some fun with it.)

10. hobomidget

hobomidget Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2012
    North Westerner
    Full Name:
    Jeremy

I know, the 348 is looking better and better.

11. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Ditto on the Turbo Esprit! I have an '87 and it certainly does fit the criteria of what you described. However, I simply MUST have a 348 or a carbed 308 at some point in addition to the Lotus. Saving up now.... :D

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Small thread hijack here, but ...
    Happy w/ the lotus? I do believe that your year is the last of the Guigiaro pure wedge shaped cars ... with injection, right? Great cars!

13. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    #288 s2mikey, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I really am happy with it. Always liked them as a kid and just had to have one. Huinted around a while - much like a Ferrari you really need to be patient and find the right car that was owned by the right owner and when you do - pounce on it!

It is the final year of the angular, Giugiaro design and yes it does have Bosch injection. Its also got the HC engine and euro cams for more power and torque. The car has been really good to me.

However, Im not "done" yet. I simply MUST have a Ferrari too. The 308 was always my favorite but the 348's are growing on me and they are available for reasonable prices right now and might stay thsat way for a while. Just think - for about $55K or so, I could have both of my childhood dream cars and Im just a working stiff. Aint America great? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    GORGEOUS! And those FIKSE wheels (I think that's what they are) look great on it!!

15. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Yep - Fikse profil 10's. 17". Stock wheels were only 15"(remember when those were considered big?) and ironically I have way more & cheaper tire choices with these different wheels. They look era correct too, which is cool.

Wouldnt the Esprit look great next to a 348 in black or yellow? :D Ive shown the old lady pics of the 348 just to get her warmed up to the idea....

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    GREAT looking Lotus!

17. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #292 Jalpa_Mike, Jul 19, 2012
    I agree with you Mike. Always loved the "G" Bodied Lotus Esprit's! We had a 1978 Series 1. Always wanted to get an '86 or '87 Turbo Esprit, but ended up getting a Lamborghini Jalpa instead (since sold and now have a Countach). Here is a shot of my old Lotus

18. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Funny you mention the Jalpa! Thats another one of my 70's/80's favs. Those are even harder to find than a good Esprit. Was that a good car? Just curious how they are to live with.

The good old S1 - in black too which is a great color for them.

19. Magnum6464

Magnum6464 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Quebexico, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I loved the Jalpa and still do...the first time I saw one was in Rocky 2.....I actually thought of buying that instead of a 348 but couldn't find one for sale at the time.

Mike, was it a good car to own?

~

Mario

20. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #295 Jalpa_Mike, Jul 19, 2012
    Mario & Mike:

Yep, it was fantastic!!! I owned it from 2002 until 2009 when I had Roy Cats (Cats Exotics) sell it and my 2002 Maserati GT Coupe. I took the money from both of those sales and put it with another stash and found my Countach out in New Haven, CT. I've owned that for 2 1/2 years now. LOVE IT!!!

I found the Jalpa's exhaust to be amazing!!! That 3.5 litre V8 really puts out a growl under full throttle acceleration! I really had no problems at all to speak of. It always started, ran like a charm and didn't cause me any grief!

If I had one area that caused me the most problems, were the brake boosters. I had an early version of the Jalpa (#71 out of the 410 they built), so mine was equipped with twin boosters (one behind each headlamp). These are the same Benditalia boosters that came on the 60's Alfa Romeo's. Even after having them rebuilt, they still didn't work correctly, so I just plugged off the vacuum assist and "man handled the car" old school without power assist. ;-)

Here is a shot of both my old "toys" and the new "toy".

Mike

21. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Great rides.... ya gotta love that Countach, huh? :)

22. Magnum6464

Mar 5, 2006
    Quebexico, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Awesome pictures.....

I know what you mean about the growl....my 348 is awesome too....

I have read such horror stories about the Countach, the drive, maintenance, heat in the cabin.....how is she?

~

Mario

23. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    It's not as bad as people say it is. but, one thing I will say is the cabin does get hotter than all get out when the ambient temperature outside is hotter than 70°. it gets unbearable inside the cockpit. I need to get my A/C recharged and that will help some. When it gets hotter than 80° outside, when I pull up to a stoplight I'll actually raise up the driver side door to let the heat out and let some cool air in. :)

You got to love exotic cars!!!

Mike

24. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Thats pretty common for mid-engined exotics when its hot out: The driver overheats faster than the car will :)

25. Magnum6464

Mar 5, 2006
    Quebexico, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mario
    REALLY??? You open the door??? whoa....people must think WTF is he doing???
    Do you drive her is 90°-95° temps?

~

Mario