Another sad Ebay find | FerrariChat

Another sad Ebay find

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by DaveC20853, Jul 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveC20853

DaveC20853 Karting

May 22, 2006
  2. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    This was a body that my father got from Greg Jones. Greg had removed the body from the chassis and sent it to Allegretti to have a GTO built. My dad did not want the body to go to the scrapyard, so we put it on a mid 80's Impala chassis, with a 455 out of a buddy's 69 Firebird.

So in summary, I think it would be difficult to put it back to original, considering that the chassis is currently not with the car.

3. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    So basically its a kit car.

4. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    I am not aware of any kits that include a factory Italian body, so I would not ever call it a kit car.

I would simply ackowledge that it a factory PF Coupe body that was rescued from the scrapyard, and assembled into a running and driving vehicle with a non-correct chassis and running gear.

I am sure there is an unloved category for it, but I doubt that the category is kit car.

Regards

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Take off another grand for that stupid shield on the side....

6. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    Olds 455? Talk about having the face not match the windpipes...

7. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Why not put at least a corvette engine though? At least that would be half way to a Ferrari. An olds engine would be closer to what....10%?

8. Info serious buyers are not getting. Can you imagine having it show up on the transporter & the driver say's "dude if you want to change that 10 bolt, I gotta 12 bolt posi".

Still neat, and it's nice your Dad saved it from scrap.

9. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    Thanks EarlyCat,

I am glad too that it was saved from the scrapyard, and it was a fun project.

The reason for the mismatch of parts, was simply, that they were laying around underfoot at the time. As I have said in other posts, it got 54 Dodge tailights, the 455, 69 Camaro Seats, and the Fog Lights out of my dads RollBack truck.

I don't think any amount of Corvette parts could make it 1/2 or close to a Ferrari.

And who knows? If we had cut up a Corvette for donor parts, there might have been some very upset Corvette enthusiasts that complained that we destroyed a Corvette to make it :)

10. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    Are the wheels original (Borrani)? They look a little weird to me, thus the question.

11. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    They look like "Tru-Spokes" to me. That is a brand name from the 70s and 80s

What's the reserve?

12. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nice that it was saved. Who knows what the future holds for the car.

13. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    (They look like "Tru-Spokes" to me. That is a brand name from the 70s and 80s)

Correct! Somebody knows their 80s Cadillac parts.

Good spot...

14. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    So according to the DMV this is a mid-80s impala?

15. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    I think someone on FChat once told me that a new ID had been issued to the car utilizing part of the original 250 VIN with an extra letter or number.

The chassis was from our 84 or 85 Impala 2 door (with the bevelled rear window) with a V6 that my father bought for his employees to drive. The Impala got rear ended, so my father cut the body off and used the chassis. It was extensively modified to fit under the PF body. There were no numbers on the chassis that would have made it into the PF, so I doubt the DMV has any record of the underlying Impala bits.

As far as the DMV is concerned, I am guessing that somebody issued a new ID number that suits the car's intended guise, much like Cobra kit cars are registered as 65 Fords.

16. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Resist the urge Jay!

17. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Maybe the car can be brought back together. Where is this GTO replica?

18. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I am highly interested, as ideally my next Ferrari shall be vintage, but of course I do not have $500k or anywhere near that.

The guy claims to have a "Texas title", but after reading the comments above I should ask him if it's a Ferrari title or an Impala???

Another concern is that he links to his site which lists cars for sale, but if you examine the photos they are taken in Europe and all cars have European license plates... kind of suspicious.

19. huligan

huligan Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    i also found that supposedly the same seller jakob_elena already sold the car in Sept of 2008 to a buyer 123_fedanmani for $75k :

http://media.collectorcarpricetracker.com/auction_data/2008/9/14/300256825213/300256825213.pdf

i do not know how much more info i would be allowed to post without getting "in trouble" but it is safe to say after reading all this here that it is highly unlikely that the car could be restored even if you have a drivetrain sitting there ready to go.
    (which was the claim in the previous auction in 08 and no mention about the chassis not being original - i quote "This 250GT is now equipped with a powerful, american 8 cylinder engine and auto transmission which operate very well Aside from this, this car is mostly original and could quite easily (if you have the engine-tranny) be converted back to a correct 250GT.")

and it is also very probable that the entire auction might be a scam.