Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Bill_OBrien, Apr 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Magnificent.
    Thanks for posting it and thanks to all those who brought her back.

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I remember Chris Rea doing something similar for his great 90's poetic film La Passione (my avatar :) ) think it was a complete re-creation with no original parts though

3. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Job well done! Any pictures of the Sharknose visiting Ferrari Classiche?

Gr. Martin

4. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #79 Jan Biekens, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Were you not extremely worried that it would be crushed by the Italian legal system, as it is a replica after all, with many original parts? Similar in concept to the Maserati that was crushed ... :(.

Pete

6. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Yes and no. This is a long story. In a nutshell : I had an invitation for the Coppa Intereuropa at Monza, where they also celebrated Phil Hill with a special race. And yes because of what happened with the Maserati’s I explained my worries. Antonio Ghini (ex PR director Ferrari and now editor of the Official Ferrari Magazine) did a lot of work to get the car in Italy. We had a splendid week. First I had a good race in Mugello with my Stanguellini and then we went to Maranello before going to Monza.
    Only at Monza I screwed up a bit because after qualifying I left the contact on so we burned the coils. After this we couldn’t get the car running well that weekend, but still had a great time. Meeting with Derek Hill and his mother and taking pictures with Derek in the car on the old banking.
    To conclude I think Ferrari tolerates the car now but doesn’t recognize it.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    That is great to hear Jan. Fantastic to see the car at Classiche (tolerated not recognised) and to hear it was in action in Italy.

Wonderful car, wonderful video.

Onno

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The pan calling the kettle black, hmm.....

Regards, Alberto

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just makes the whole Maserati situation seem so pointless ... :(

Pete

10. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Grazie!

Gr. Martin

11. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Jan , this is not a recreation but a hommage to Ferrari, with probably more Passion then in any other Ferrari. RESPECT.

12. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Thanks. In 2011 Ferrari didn’t celebrate their fifties anniversary of winning their first Constructors Championship with Phil Hill in the 156. This was very strange because they take any opportunity to celebrate their achievements and/or milestones. Maybe it was that if they did they couldn’t neglect my car to be present on the occasion. We'll never know.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    IMO Ferrari don't care about the WCC, possibly because they were involved before this sort of racing was termed F1 (running Alfa Romeo's) and the WCC was created.

Pete

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Interestingly the Ferrari.com web site is referring to yesterday's result as the best of the year.
    Odd in that they rank it higher than races that Alonso won.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well Alonso's previous wins have been because he picked up the car and ran it around the track, so I can fully understand why the results "yesterday" have made the team happy as it appears they have made good progress with Clifford.

It could also be some younger people are involved with the current F1 team, while the historic area have older views? ... or simply they don't care and look forward instead of backward.
    Pete

16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    After the Von Trips accident, they never gave Phil the glory of winning the championship, denying him the priviledge to compete in the last race of the season on his home turf at Watkins Glen. They might still see that day in Monza as a dark clould that's never passed.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Or the WCC still matters to them most.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Remember the 21 year drought ... and the huge deal that was for the team ...

Anyway all that matters to them now is selling cars.
    Pete

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    and Barbies, t-shirts, umbrellas, key chains, shoes, etc. If Mrs. Baracca only could have known what a cash cow her son's insignia was destined to become .. . .

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I 100% agree.......

But, I also wonder how much BIGGER audience they would find if the weren't so focused on dumb marketing stuff. Red Bull is the best example I can think of what I would use as a model to DOMINATE the future market.

21. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I am currently in the same boat so to speak with regards to the attitude of Mercedes Benz Classic and my W194 Serial #0001/52 project. Virtually identical story of a car that was destroyed and being resurected in technique and conglomeration of original and modified factory parts. I would be terrified to have so much time and money invested only to have it siezed and crushed by a Eurozone authority. Congradulations for a spectacular car and flawless workmanship. Mark Passarelli

22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Great article in the latest Octane Magazine.

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    What a great recreation of the beautifull Dino 156. Would be nice to see more such projects. Really more interesting that all those fake-250GT/GTOs.

24. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Yes a nice article and beautiful pictures of Dirk De Jager, however petty that although they quote me they never interviewed me or let me correct mistakes. Some errors occurred on my personal data but especially on the project. If you weren’t involved in it, it doesn’t matter but for those who were here a few corrections. It wasn’t me but Mike Mark who drove the car at Spa as I was recovering from a back surgery. The chassis number of Gendebien’s car was 0002. What they write about the engine is wrong. I think they are talking about the later 246GT engine which is completely different from the 246 F1 engine. We were lucky to lent a pattern from an 246 F1 engine and with some slight modifications we could modify it into a 156 F1 engine. We were just machining it of when we could buy an existing original 156 F1 block. I never spoke about the car being easy to drive, however the shifting is easy where Phil Hill in some literature is saying he found the gear changing rather difficult. Also what they wrote about the chassis is a bit confusing. In books and articles it’s always written that the 156 V65° engines had straight chassis tubes and those of the 120° engines had bowed ones. We discovered from pictures that our chassis 0002 already had bowed tubes as from its first race at Monaco. Although Mairesse drove with chassis number 0002 at Spa 1962 it wasn’t the same anymore. The chassis we recreated only drove in 1961 at Monaco (Von Trips), Spa (Gendebien) and Nürburgring where Mairesse also had an accident with it.
    Generally I’m very pleased that Octane wrote an article on it, the project has been in a lot of magazines around the world but Octane is the first to write something about it in the UK (where it was built).

25. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jan: GEWELDIG!