Not crappy replicas!!!! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Not crappy replicas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redhammer, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Whatever happened to posting well-executed replicas? Lots of chatter about personal views on just about everything but the build quality of the cars themselves.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is a valid concern, and in the vintage/classic car community there's a lot of interest in cars that have as many of their original panels, etc., as possible.

But, a Proteus "C-Type" wasn't made by Jaguar. It was made by some guys using mostly Jaguar parts. I agree that Jag hasn't made a real sporting car since the Series 2 E-Type, but a fake is a fake. Stealing parts from a Jag to make a Proteus isn't preserving the marque any more than cutting up a 250 GTE to make yet another fake 250 GTO is helping Ferrari.

3. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
  4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you read this months SCM you will see that an aston sanction 2 zagato mid 80's build juust sold for 1.9 milion and that after the 4 sanctioned by aston RS williiams who built the sanctions 2's made a few more which are worth similar money.

These cars were built off DB4's had uprated 4.2 engines.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And now this replica, crashed

And not just any GTO either, as if there was such, but.........Chassis #3445...........
    Driven/owned in the 60's by Ulf Norinder.........Rebodied later by Drogo to a regular driver(with a beautiful body too), wrecked and rebodied back to a GTO in the 70's(?)...................Has worn the Swedish colors of Blue/Yellow since then...

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The only ones that are acceptable in my eyes are examples that:

a) are replicas of virtually unattainable cars made in very low production
    b) are produced to the level and detail of construction faithful to the original.

Pretty simple criteria, but there are very few cars worth a replica then. F40 is out (too many made), Diablos or Countach are out. You really cannot do a Porsche 917 because a Porsche flat-12 engine isn't available.

A few cars that could be replicated assuming the replica is very faithful:
    Porsche 550 (Beck)
    Porsche 904 (Beck)
    Ford GT40 (there are very faithful replicas that cost six figures to build)
    Ferrari 250GTO (you would cannibalize an old Ferrari to do it though)
    Bugatti Royale
    Shelby's continuing Cobras that have metal bodies and continue the serial numbers
    Jag XJ13
    Jag XKSS

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #133 Bullfighter, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    Nice cars, but you overlook some major points:

1. As long as Porsche, Ford, Ferrari, Bugatti (VW) and Jaguar (Tata) have given you proxy on the issue of what's acceptable, then this is a useful guide. If you don't own these badges, designs, model designations, etc., then it's not really your call, or mine.

2. You're assuming Porsche would mind a faithful replica less than one that was inaccurate, but I haven't seen any evidence anywhere that suggests this is true.

3. "Unattainable" is relative. The 458 Italia is currently too expensive for some people, making it unattainable. Would it be OK to build an accurate tribute car? I know several of my neighbors simply can't afford a new Ferrari, but a couple of them are car enthusiasts so perhaps a fake 458 would fill the gap. Jon Shirley can certainly afford multiple genuine vintage Ferrari racers, so would you allow him to commission a fake one?

4. Creating a fake of a rare car does not make it less rare or do anything that a photograph of the genuine article would not.

Not to pick on your post, because you articulated it as well as anyone, but there really is no good rationale for fakes.

9. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    as an engineer I disagree. Building a replica/look-alike for the sake of building a car which is what YOU want it to be is a very good reason to do so. It's at least a good a reason as whatever reason you would have for buying the car you want (if that is even possible).

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I should be clear that while it may be faithful to the original, putting original badges on it is not acceptable unless the donor car started out as the same brand. Chopping up a vintage Ferrari coupe to make a 250GTO is one example where putting the Ferrari badge wouldn't bother me.

A car like the Beck 550 doesn't use Porsche badges, although some owners have put them on afterwards. That is not acceptable IMO as they use a hot rod VW engine not Porsche.

As for the definition of unattainable, let's say that if the only way to get one is to know someone who knows someone who might entertain selling one of the few remaining examples...that probably qualifies. I agree the 458 is not unattainable, all it takes is money. But try to buy a F50GT tomorrow, there simply are none available. But per my definition, the only acceptable one would be made from an original F50, which would be a travesty.

For me the more interesting cars of this genre are the "kit supercars" like the Ultima, RCR Superlite , and FFR GTR. While they may use major components of other cars (GTR uses a "donor" C5 vette for suspension, steering, and brakes) they are so different than these donors that they are something all their own. But building one of these costs as much as a nice 328 or 355, so why have this kit car when you can have the real thing?

11. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    How is an Ultima not the real thing? Simply because it can be purchased in kit form? I guess Westfield isn't the real thing either then. Nor is the original Lotus Seven. Or a lot of other original designs.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #137 Wade, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dincenzo likes this.
  13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #138 Wade, Sep 29, 2012
  14. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #139 Dincenzo, Sep 30, 2012
  15. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Yes - I'd love to see some well executed Spyder 250 GT Cali inspired kits/replicas.

16. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I can't comment on the build quality, but these cars seem to be vaguely inspired by certain classic cars - but do not look like "replicas."

I don't object to an original design, as long as it is not badged (and therefore presented) as a "Ferrari."

They look good in photos, for all that's worth. As far as I am concerned, it's fine to have a custom car that may be somewhat reminiscent of an earlier classic. Just don't try to pretend that it's something it's not.

All based on Miatas, are they?

17. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    #142 Racer27, Sep 30, 2012
    I've seen several of these up close and am considering having one built if I don't go the Spyder 250 GT Kit route. These are all based on 1st and 2nd gen Miatas. They are originial designs, influanced by Italian cars of the period. I believe he is working on some 3rd Gen Miata based concepts. There is a V8 Powered Version that they built on the GEARZ TV show. They call it the banshee - http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Okay. Thanks for the info.

IMO, the Miata is an appealing enough car by itself, with a number of performance modifications that can be done. So I see no reason to make it look like something else. (Aside: I like the Miata, although it seems to have a reputation as a "gay car" on some forums here.)

OTOH, I really don't object to these: They're not direct copies of anything, and I think that's what all kit cars should be: Original designs that don't attempt to pose as something else. So, leave off the badges, have the only "Italia" in your neighborhood, if not your state, and enjoy it, if that's what you want.

In the photos at least, they don't look "crappy." But they really aren't "replicas," either. (I'll leave it to Rob to decide if they belong in this forum. ;) )

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #144 Wade, Sep 30, 2012
    The one I saw was driven by the company owner; he said it was their prototype (only one with t-tops). And yes, all based on Miatas.

The logo on the nose is SD.

20. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #145 Dincenzo, Sep 30, 2012
  21. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I believe they have foud away to get rid of the t-top and do a targa top. If I recall the issue was storing the top in the car.

22. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    janmante likes this.
  23. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    That gt 40 is awesome. Just wondering where you would put the licence plate

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its LHD so a replica/recreation , most likely a SPF car, awesome machine.

25. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #150 Flash G, Oct 10, 2012