Newbie from Northern CA | FerrariChat

Newbie from Northern CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crossworth, Jun 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    Hello Ferrari Chat,

Greetings thought I should introduce myself. Currently not a Ferrari owner, but hopefully someday soon. Thinking 328?!

I currently have a couple of Porsche's including a 93 928GTS and few 911 and several early miatas and four family sedans.

It has always been a dream of mine to own a Ferrari F40. I guess that will not be happening until I win the lottery. Therefore realistically a 328 seems a reasonable goal. I do like the look of the 328. Hopefully fellow members will advise on what models and years are best.

I do my own maintenance, whenever possible. A car lift makes it easier to perform the work.

Hopefully!, when I retire I can find cozy spot in the Pleasanton / Livermore California area. Open a small shop for Ferrari's & Porsche mostly doing tune up and light maintenance. That is another dream of mine. Not sure it will make money, but it will be fun

Naturally your input would be greatly appreciated.
    I look forward to my first Ferrari..... I am very open to any Ferrari as long as the budget permits. Granted selling some of my cars will allow me a nicer Ferrari.

Thats me in a nutshell.

Steve in San Francisco Bay Area.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Welcome Steve.

You should check out the bay area group of owners. If they have a C&C event you can go rub elbows with the guys. I've never seen a Porsche turned away.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A 328??? Are you crazy?

Actually --- just kidding. They are really fine, really good driving, and dependable cars that the average mechanic can work on with a little good advice. Most parts availability are not a problem either. They are not terrible expensive to maintain and keep running.

Check out the 308/328 section below. There's a lot of 308/328 owners who can give you great advice.

One good thing is that there are a lot of good 328's out there to pick from so you can get out to a good start. Finding a good one is often the cheaper way to go than finding a cheap one.

Good luck in your search!

4. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    Thank you PV Dirk & "The Mayor" for the warm welcome!

PV Dirk:
    It is probably wise for me to come in my camry, afterall I am the newbie coming in to your world. I actually need F-chats help to steer me correctly. Driving in a Porsche may send the wrong signal, ...IMO

"The Mayor:"

I am big fan of Dean Martin, including some of his songs. Its so clean cut, yet suggestive.
    Last one I heard was..."it's cold out there... stay in..." something like that ( I think it is a remix). I need to find that song and download it. Ironically during several renovations and a couple of garage sales ( w/c I was not around) ...I seemed to have lost several of my vinyl and CD's of Dean, Percy Faith, Ray Coniff, and Burt Bacarach (spelling?). My friend offered to burn me copies of his collection....that was over five years ago...oh well.

UPDATE:

What I had forgotten to mention my other option may be the Ferrari 550 Maranello. I subscribe to Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports to name a few.

In May 2012 issue (p125) of Classic Motorsports it references the 550 as a good buy. The section is called "DEPRECIATION STATION" the Maranello was that months feature car. Basically saying its in the 45~65K range. Buy if you can before it starts heading north again.

DINO Story...a sad one:

Back in the late 80's or early 90's. I went to look at a Pristine (very strong #2) yellow DINO in Monterey CA. We agreed on $24K. I just could not pull the trigger. It was still available a month later he called back with a lower price.

I never thought it would be of value...goes to show what I know. It was a blunderous move in my part. Possibly my cheapest entry into Ferrari-dom. If I kept it, and re-sold today. I could afford the 550 and 328 and spare change to put a down a nice house today. Go figure.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    24 k was too much to pay for a Dino in 1983 (I paid 18K) and 240K is too much to pay today.

Now, that's IRONY.

Good luck in your search!

6. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    Hi Mayor:

Wow this is good to know...it's a story i am not too proud of telling. Not sure how the DINO went up so high...perhaps if I researched it. Then again DINO 's are not my first choice.
    But if i bought it then and sold it now I would be a happy camper. Then again, I would sold it in the 100k range and kicked myself as it went over 200k.

Oh well such is life....thankfully I got my health...priceless.

Thank you Mayor.