"250 GTO:" Drogo rebody mystery | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"250 GTO:" Drogo rebody mystery

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by VisualHomage, Jun 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Join the club ;)

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So is this a period rebody or has somebody attempted to replicate a Drogo body on a GTE.

Or some sort of combination of both :D
    Pete

3. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Isn't the engine also too far forward?

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The 330 GTO has a higher bonnet bulge, so this blister doesn't say anyhing either.

5. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    Sorry but i dont get the point of that guessing-game.
    Why talk about details like wet or dry sump setup - that car does not look like a GTO in so many points. Nearly every body detail is different (what was intended by Drogo i would guess).
    Beautiful car - but not a GTO lookalike at all.

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    How about this whole discussion going where it belongs!!!! tongascrew

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Weren't these kinds of rebodies done in period?

I understood Chad's thread as a challenge to find out whether this was a rebodied GTO or a rebodied 250... It was always about a Drogo body car, just the peculiarity of the GTO's dry sump powerplant vs. the road cars' wet sump engines being the deciding visual-only factor on whether this Drogo body is clothing a GTO chassis, or a 250 chassis....

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto. This looks nothing like a real 250 GTO. It's one of several Drogo rebodies.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Several people here not reading or understanding the original question properly.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Maybe, but the question can't be answered by the wet versus dry sump theory. I know it was meant as fun and games but in this section things get taken quite seriously. :)

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How do you think it should be answered, Peter?

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    IMHO There's no one right answer. There are many, many visual clues that this is not a 250 GTO, including some you've pointed out, so if the answer is to be found in the technical features of this Drogo bodied chassis it's going to be quite hard to find one just from this picture. The fact that it has a larger bonnet bulge isn't conclusive either because as I posted earlier the (genuine) 330 GTO also has a larger bulge than the regular 250 GTO, yet is very similar body wise.

I think Lowell had a better answer pointing out that the engine in a GTE is positioned farther forward compared to a GTO.

By the way I've seen this Drogo in real life and there's no way it can be mistaken for a genuine 250 GTO.

Best, Peter

p.s. I'll post no more in this thread because I've got the feeling I've taken this much too seriously! :)

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you, Peter.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So a period rebody, cool!

Pete

15. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Thanks everyone thus far for the afterthoughts, as they contain some interesting perspectives regardless of whether or not the poster understood/read the original premise ;) (Some of you went far afield from the point, and some posters answered questions for others within the thread). Viva Ferrari.

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I came in late, but yes this makes sense, Bizzarrini was known for moving the engine as far back and low as he possibly could.

You can also see this in the racing version of the ASA and the 5300 strada/ Iso A3C.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Also in the Breadvan.

18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    While I understand the point, I guess my first thought when I read the answer was that the car could have been a 330GTO accounting for the higher engine as bigodino stated.

Fun challenge though.....

PDG

19. M.Matestudio

M.Matestudio Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael Mate
    Everything about this car seems wrong to me. Starting with the overall proportions; they are just off the mark in many respects. The front fenders "peak" too far forward, the roof is too flat, the nose is not correct, all of the vents are completely wrong. The only thing that looks about right are the wheels.

But, in the end, if this WAS a GTO re-body it would have been in all the Ferrari books and magazines, as the provenance of all the GTO's are now extremely well documented.

20. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #45 Ed Niles, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #46 merstheman, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry to revive an old thread like this, but I believe the Drogo body on the car pictured in the first post was actually comissioned for a crashed TR (0738TR) on behalf of its then owner here in Brazil. Camillo Christofaro and Paulo Cesar Newlands famously reced the car here and I happened upon this period photo:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login