1962 GTO sells for $35 Million | Page 6 | FerrariChat

1962 GTO sells for $35 Million

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Gran Drewismo, Jun 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    along the same lines I still have issues with what could be called the "phoenix effect"... where another car ( essentially new ) is derived from a few left over identifiable parts, where a fully destroyed car is replicated as "original"... where should be the line drawn to qualify as original, at 50% , 60%, 70% original useable parts, as it stands now cars have been recreated from as little as the ID plate and a few numbered parts from essentially a pile of unuseable but recongizeable rubble )... where does restoration end and where does recreation begin... there are many fine examples of cars of what they were when they first appeared, but in reality are recreations of what they were once were... it's about the labels we attach, not the recreation

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As usual, he who sets the definitions wins the argument.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Interesting.

I find it incredibly pretentious, arrogant, elitist and downright disgusting that people decided to judge other peoples passions and the use of their own funds to pursue their passions in the manner you do. You do not know what is motivating someone to own what they choose to own. You do know what aspect of owning it brings them pleasure - yet you and so many like you here instantly pass judgement and sit on the high horse so snide and arrogant with your judgements. What right do you have to tell someone that they should etch messages in the glass of their car or they are pretentious liars? Amazing.

It did not used to be this way. When I first got passionate about vintage Ferrari's in a more serious way it was about the experience of the cars for the most part. Having fun. Driving them. Playing with them. Using them as as they were intended to be used - on the road and track flogging them hard for fun.

Now - its about elitism, power, money, exclusivity.... and most important of all: making sure only the "right" crowd gets to play. It is disgusting.

I deeply miss my Daytona every day. Selling it was the worst mistake car wise I have ever made. But when I have the funds again to purchase another - I am not sure I will. I think I would perhaps rather have a Porsche 911RS or a Lola or something different. Something where the crowd is not so damn judgmental and elitist.

They are CARS. Not objects of freaking worship from which God himself is going to issue forth eternal salvation. I wish all the elitists would fall off that high horse and get back in touch with the real world.

Terry

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    terry,
    i think your old daytona is now on the market.
    ed

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I PM'd you about this... but Google turned it up:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?lCarID=1851407

My old car. In Mass. The guy I sold too was mid west so it may have traded hands more than once. The photos in that ad are ones I shot in 2008.

Kills me. I want that car BACK. Sucks I got no money.

Terry

6. mikecrml

mikecrml Rookie

Mar 27, 2008
    Carmel By The Sea, C
    Full Name:
    Mike Antoncich
    This post should be about a really cool green GTO. There are other places to post this stuff. I'd like to see mechanics- detailers- race prep guys tell why this car is the best GTO (with one exception that we work on) Come on guys!

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #132 JazzyO, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    The classic response of a true faker. It is always the fault of the guy who wants to keep things original. "What's wrong with a bit of lying? These guys who love originals are just f*cking rich bast*rds who want to keep these things to themselves."

FYI, Mr. Tspringer, I don't give a flying cr*p about the value of cars. I love FIATs, Alfa's, you name it. But I just can't abide t*ssers who want to fake things. There is only 1 reason to fake, and that is to pretend to be someone you're not.

All I am saying is: DIVULGE. If you are upfront about your car, then I have no problem. Why do you have a problem with me asking that question? I think the answer is quite clear. And FWIW - I was in completely the same opinion when I could not afford any Ferrari.

Now, I could be a 250GTO replica owner, a good one that is almost impossible to detect except by fanatics. Instead, I own a 330GTC. Is it wrong for me to feel superior to the 250GTO replica owner? If the owner of the 250GTO replica was upfront about it, then yes. But they are not. Never have been.

F*ck! Why do I need to defend myself for wanting to keep things original? It is the OTHER guys that want to change things. So the changers are now the martyrs. What a load of b*llcks.

Congrats, Tspringer, you're the first one on my ignore list after 5 years on this board.

Onno

8. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mods:
    could we have posts 124-132 be moved to the replica thread ? please ;)

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Exactly and that has nothing to do with cutting GTE's up to make them into something they are not and never will.

You really can't get more elitist than choosing to destroy a vintage Ferrari to make it into another vintage Ferrari, just because it might be more desirable in the eye of the public. Indeed disgusting.

No one is being judgmental and elitist when they dissaprove of destroying vintage Ferrari's. It is pretty simple really, no one ever cheers when something they love and care about is getting butchered for no justifiable reason.

Indeed, they are cars, so let the 250GTE be a 250GTE and enjoy and appreciate it for what it was intended to be. It would indeed be a great day when all those folks that think it is fine to destroy a GTE to make it into an SWB or a GTO just because the own the thing, could fall off their high horse and start realizing that a GTE is just as much a vintage Ferrari as a SWB or a GTO.

10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    One more thing if I may add: I think there's a cultural difference when it comes to cars between the Old and New World. Roughly speaking I think in the New World it's much more accepted to modify cars, not neccecarily keep it original. See for instance custom cars, or engine transplants, or Pebble Beach restorations. This thought might sometimes pour over into the replica world as well. "They're just cars". I bet this thought is more accepted in the New World than the Old one. JMHO.

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Could it be that since when they were new there was little factory support and/or long waits for parts over here that US owners got into modifying and adapting from the get go?

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    That wouldn't explain all the American Hot Rods, Custom Cars, etc. I think it has more to do with the American spirit of freedom and wanting to make things better, faster, bigger and to your own taste. Personalize. Looking forward, not being conservative.

But I digress :)

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When the engine needs repair and the parts are a year out or if there's no one handy to do the work a small block started looking good to some owners.

15. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    #140 redzone, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    6701GT

not as valuable as 6885GT me thinks.

17. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin

Whilst respecting your views I don't agree with them. In the past I have been relatively indifferent to replica's/rebodies, like you believing each to their own and it's their money etc. but I have found my standpoint has slowly changed. I don't agree that the enthusiasts around here are being elitist or disgusting etc. in their desire to preserve what vintage Ferrari's there are left, in as near to their original state as possible.

My other great great passion is art and I now find myself drawing parallels with the art world and the historic car world. For example, old master artworks - as well as being very fine examples of creativity and skill not to mention decorative pieces are also important historical artefacts that give us an insight into how things were hundreds of years ago. Thankfully sensitive custodians of these pieces have looked after them over the years to such an extent that we can now enjoy them for what they are and what they represent. There is a joy in seeing the original brush strokes of a revered artist long-dead.

What I'm coming to is that although we purchase these cars with our own money I sincerely believe they too are historic artefacts that we also have a duty to preserve for generations to come. I think this is particularly true of historic Ferrari models as they seem to becoming more and more the most desired of the genre. I would also go so far as to say that the current prices being achieved at the upper end of the scale GTO's etc. probably reflect this. I also believe that so-called 'lowlier' models such as PF Coupe's, 250 GTE's, 330 GT 2+2's should also be preserved as they too have a place in history and will become more and more important as time goes by.

So, what I would really like is an original Rembrandt but sadly they are probably out of reach for me but to settle for a painting that is a copy of a Rembrant or even by someone who worked with Rembrandt does not make it a Rembrant no matter how much I would like it to be.

I for one accept that original Rembrandts are for a lucky few but sadly for now, I am not one of them.

David

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    (never mind that I was offered one by Henry Manney in 1969 for $18,000...)
    in the art world I think van Goghs have gone for $100 million or more and if there's a fire,
    you could lose it in 5 minutes where if a GTO burned down to the frame tubes it could be rebuilt. And more fun to drive around in than a van Gogh.
    Also I remember this N. California car dealer who paid $16 million for a race horse and then the horse went and died on him.
    You can blow an engine in the GTO and have a rebuilt engine a month later. So I think it's a more durable investment, and 250GTOs rising values sure as hell outperform the Dow...
    we're just luck Mark Zuckerberg hasn't discovered old Ferraris, he could have bought
    all the GTOs (and maybe all the short wheelbase berlinettas) the day of his IPO.

19. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If they were for sale ;o) all the tea in China and all that

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Funny to see how bits of discussions here end up on Jalopnik from time to time...

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #146 miurasv, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  22. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    is this 3505GT? when and where were the pics taken?

23. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    The car is not sitting for ten years. i have pics of 6701 racing in 2005.

24. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting,from what I was told at the time it hasnt moved.Is it the same car?

25. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Yes it is
    Olney, UK, 1999