430 Coupe or 430 Spider? Need help! | FerrariChat

430 Coupe or 430 Spider? Need help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by spyke, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi guys! I'm a bit confused on what 430 should be my 1st Ferrari.
    Just want to listen and read some speculations about the versions of 430.
    I never sat or drive both of them. Anybody can tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Just bought a 430 Spider about 2 months ago, and it has been great.

I believe both cars are very similar in terms of performance and reliability, so mostly a matter of personal choice.

I live in Southern California, so the weather is consistently pretty nice about 80% or more of the time, and great for a convertible. I would say that I generally prefer hardtop convertibles, and the 430 doesn't look its best with the top up. But I almost never drive with the top up anyway (never in the rain and rarely at night so far).

In a Spider you are going to hear the engine a little bit more, especially if you have the valves open. :) Some like the sound, while others would prefer a more quiet ride.

Other than that I think both are great cars.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The spider can do 99% of what the coupe can but the coupe cannot do one thing: Drop the top on a nice day.

The disadvantage is that the spider costs more so how much do you want to pay for that feature and how often will you use it is the question.

Personally, for me, it's spider all the way.

4. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    I have always bought cars because I liked them, not based on their performance and the F430 coupé is in my personal opinion one of the best looking Ferraris ever made. Unfortunately I cannot say the same thing for the spider, but it's my point of view.

You should buy the one you like most. :)

5. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Well, are you a coupe guy, or a convertible guy?

Most people know this; kinda like knowing whether you're left-handed or right-handed.

If you don't know, I'm not sure that reading other peoples' opinions will help. You need to go on a mission of self-discovery.

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Buy the one you fall in love with, whatever her hair color, and top or topless. If you are not in love, dont buy either.

7. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    A bit more care is required for the soft top to keep it in good shape. Exhaust notes are slightly higher inside a cabin of a convertible. A small number of owners had issues with the top mechanism, but it seems very rare with the F430.

IMO, in a good day, a convertible gives you that luxury exotic feeling a coupe can never deliver.

Its all personal preference.

8. sanchezdds

sanchezdds Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2009
    California
    If you are in an area where you are able to enjoy a convertible then tha is your choice. In my case, I am looking for a spider. Nothing like being able to put the top down during beautiful California days.

9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson

I agree.

10. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for all of your advices.

Well, actually my taste is the coupe but I wanted to know more about the Spider since many are into convertible.

In my place, it always rain here and if it's hot, it is really2x hot.
    Even if it is sunny, it rains (i know its weird but it is really happening here) so I think having the convertible here is not a good choice and place to use it.

11. vas360

vas360 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Hunting Valley Ohio
    "When the top goes down, the price goes up". Spiders have more upside on resale. The F430 can generate alot of heat and noise. The coupe can get a little hot without a sunroof on a scorching day in the summer. I have owned a 360 spider and 550. Spider all day long

12. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    For the life of me, I have always been a soft top guy! I recently missed two wonderful spiders, so like a jilted lover, I spontaneously bought a friends coupe. I will get a spider again, but I love the coupe in a different way.
    1. Air Conditioning
    2. Stereo/Phone/Bluetooth (never turned either on in a spider)
    3. Not as loud (on the inside)

Maybe Im getting old, but the coupe seems like I can and do drive it more. I had the tendency to wait for the perfect soft top weather, which imho, wasnt that often, even in Southern Cal.

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Live in Socal, Spider all the way.

Exhilirating driving with the top down.

14. redcloud

redcloud Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    TN
    I like them topless, just like my women :D I know you said it rains there a lot, so a coupe might fit you better. But just like many have already said, go with what you fall in love with, your the one driving it at the end of the day. Good luck!

15. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    I can only speak for myself but I had an SL500 for 7 years. It was a great car but the top came down only at night. Too hot and uncomfortable during the day and I live in the midwest. At first I would drive to work with the top down but I needed a shower when I got there.

When I was in Palm Springs and in Hawaii I saw virtually no convertibles. I wondered why at the time but now I know.

Finally the F430 spider (like the 911 cab) just totally ruins the beautiful lines of the car when it is up.

16. Robdownunder

Robdownunder Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I had my 430 coupe for 2 years and there wasn't one day I regretted not having a soft top.
    I had made the right decision IMHO.

One thing you have to be aware of as a new owner of this wonderful marque and that is EVERYBODY looks at you and in the coupe you can hide a little which can be more reassuring and less confronting.

With the rag top it only looks good down (and stunning at that) but up it is not so hot whereas the coupe has that typical Ferrari genre about it all the time.

The coupe is more rigid as well with no skuttle shake, more secure and one other thing, a convertible gets incredibly dirty with the top off.

Rob.

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    These cars are not usually used on a daily basis and not really the best in the rain so I say spider if you can only have one. Coupes do look better than spiders with tops up. Get what you like but don't settle. It is not easy to find the right car.

18. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Spiders look Fantastic even when the top is up!

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1! I think the ragtop has a distinctive look that sets it apart from all other convertibles. Fred

20. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Usual answer, go drive both back to back and see which one you like more.

21. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I still had my 355 Spider when I test drove a 430 Coupe ... no sale.
    I had to get a 430 Spider if I was going to replace my 355 Spider ... which is what I did.
    When the top goes down, everything comes alive ... you can hear more, see more and sense more.
    But then that's me and I'm in Hawaii. You really need to try both.
    Good luck on your search!

22. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for all your thoughts guys. It's really helpful.

Anyways, just want to ask if I can buy from a Ferrari dealer a Black paint 5 spoke rims? Or will it be cheap if I just let the rim painted to any local paint shop?

23. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I would just ask for quotes from both of them.

24. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What do you mean?

25. Dedra373

Dedra373 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    I find it hard to keep the f430 cabriolet top clean. The platic discolors and my dealer
    Doesn't really make it clear.