Not crappy replicas!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Not crappy replicas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redhammer, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pointless frauds.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't like it, but seems accepted in the Muscle Car crowd.

3. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    You're keeping the car from someone who may be able to afford to drive it, and would drive it regularly. More of a shame, IMO, than creating a replica so someone with less money can drive a version of their dream car.

Replicas being passed off as original is unacceptable under any circumstances. Good replicas (there are good replicas whether you want to accept it or not), that are presented as such, give people the opportunity to be around and drive something they may otherwise never get to see.

4. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Doubtful that I'd be cornering the market, more like preserving it for the next guy (which is misguided, IMHO, but not deceptive). I agree it's a shame - cars should be driven.

Problem is always that unless you paint "REPLICA" on the side most people, who aren't knowledgeable about cars, assume it's real. They may think they've seen a Cobra, 550 Spyder or Countach, but in fact they haven't. And the owner hasn't driven one. And the designer and manufacturer weren't paid for their work. Call it a lose/lose/lose/lose all around, all for the sake of the owner's ego.

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #30 nathandarby67, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How about the Pur Sang Bugatti 35? It may not be real, but the detailing and craftsmanship is exquisite. You could call it lots of things, but crappy ain't one of them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

330 4HL likes this.
  6. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #31 MK1044, May 29, 2012
  7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #32 nathandarby67, May 29, 2012
  8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would call it many things, and Bugatti ain't one of them.

9. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    #34 redhammer, May 30, 2012
    I don't see a point of owning a real exotic if you can't afford to insure it properly let alone drive it or fix it if anything goes wrong. Just to have in the garage to show it to your friends and neighbors is nothing short of posing. Some may say buy a vette, viper, benz etc. I have owned some and they are nice. But they don't leave me speechless.
    Some other replicas worth mentioning.

10. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
  11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #36 nathandarby67, May 30, 2012
    To continue playing devils advocate for a bit, do those of you with harsh views towards the "quality replicas" like the Pur Sang and Proteus have an equally dim view of replica aircraft? If not, what's the difference? Wouldn't all the same arguments against a fake car apply to a fake airplane? Cheaper cost, fooling people, etc?

For example, what do yall think of Russ' Camel project and other similar aircraft?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258012

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Bugatti type 35 (the Argentinian kind, not the Volkswagen kind)

13. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Phil Hill drove one, and reported that it felt quite authentic.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How is owning a fake 'F40' with actual Ferrari badges on it not posing, theft of their design and infringement on their trademark?

How is owning a real F40 posing?

IMHO, there's something pathetic and desperate about needing to fake ownership of something in order to impress other people, and replicas play right into that.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe, but the real ones also feel authentic.

16. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was close to making an offer on that car, (same one Hill drove for R&T) but somebody here on Fchat talked me out of it.

Real ones cannot be obtained for $100K.

17. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    #43 redhammer, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    So lets say hypothetically an opportunity comes up where this fine replica that looks and performs same as the real car can be purchased for dirt cheap, or better yet you Won the car on a ruffle so it's free for you to take, gets unrolled from an enclosed trailer right in front of your house. What are you going to do, honest answer please!!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpzuC2steJA&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]

18. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    Luv the orange countash, I have seen it a few times at a shop and at the world of wheels.I also like the white diablo. Built by ron of rons toy store. He does nice work he had it for sale for the longest time.If you look at most of the cool rods they are mostly kits pretty well all of the cobras are and i have seen pics of the f40 replica and i must say very well built. They are what they are and as long as the owner admits what they are i have no problem with it.

19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #45 nathandarby67, May 30, 2012
    Pur Sang had a Type 35 and a replica Alfa 8C-2900 on display at Amelia Island this year. I was seriously impressed with the level of craftsmanship required to make these things essentially from a pile of raw materials. Just the machine work required is unreal. These are not some mail order box of parts you buy from the back of a comic book and put together with nuts and bolts from Lowe's and slap a VW engine in. Not hardly.

And what about all the Catherham and other modern kit versions of the Lotus 7? Those seem pretty well accepted.

20. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Sell it. I'd rather have my real 355 than a fake F40. I just don't see the poing of a Ferrari replica. There's no way you're going to get the same experience. Nothing sounds like a Ferrari motor.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    MY understanding is that Caterham has the rights to continued use of the Lotus 7 design. Companies like Birkin are okay as long as they don't promote them as "Lotus 7" kits. There are differences in each of the kit designs, and I think of them as nice kit cars. Certainly would not pass it off as a Lotus if I owned one. I don't get the exact copy of mass produced cars though. The Lambo and Ferrari copy kits make no sense to me. The real cars aren't that expensive, and I am quite sure the kits don't have anywhere near the same feel when you drive them.

Where do you buy comic books these days?

:)
    BT

23. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I cannot see that there is any shame in owning that.

What really made me drop out from buying it was that it became clear that there was no way - not ever - that it could ever be registered to be driven on the road, and the reality was that I actually had no legitimate use for it.

Somebody here also posted that none of the parts are really interchangeable with a real 35B - they are sort of very close approximations but not quite (not close enough to) the original dimensions. Possibly that may have been deliberate - to avoid comingling the cars?