Not crappy replicas!!!! | FerrariChat

Not crappy replicas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redhammer, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    #1 redhammer, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    :D:D

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just what we need...

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All of the above

:)

Jedi

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    you're probably not going to get much good response from this crowd, not matter how well built of a replica :)

8. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
  9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Replicas are crappy.

A good replica IS a crappy one.

The hardest part of owning a replica is admitting your an idiot.

greg328 likes this.
  10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There are cars worth replicating, ie:

Jaguar xj13 - only one real one.
    Maybe Ford GT40 (Mark I or II).

Pete

11. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    I never intended to start a descussion about replica cars and the purpose of the thread is not that. It seems some members have no problem posting a picture of bad looking replica but don't want to acknowledge a good looking one. A true car enthusiast would never call another enthusiast an idiot, regardless on what you believe in.That only speaks of one's level of intellect. Of course the "smartest" comment comes from a owner of a real ferrari who is taking it for service at jiffy lube.
    There is a number of good replicas that look, perform and handle just like true exotic cars and there is nothing wrong recognizing that.

janmante likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so copying someone elses hard work (Ferrari) and being fake (person & the car) is OK?

13. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Rob, what're your thoughts on Shelby Cobra replicas?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they seem to be the most accepted of all replicas. not crazy about them, especially every one you see at car shows is still listed as a "196x Shelby Cobra"

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

didn't Carroll Shelby himself say he initially had no problems with copies, provided they contribute to his heart charity, but none did, so was part of his motive to re-start the cobra build program, including lesser cost fiberglass model.... iirc he sued superperformance and factoryfive

....that should pretty much say what copies are worth IMO :)

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would say they're worth protecting, not replicating.

For the Ford, a 2005 Ford GT is readily available and seems a more honest path for someone who admires the style and respects the history.

17. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    Why not replicating a car that is rare and not in a production any more. It's all about perception. You may call a replica owner a fake person, but a owner of a real ferrari/lamborghini who's car sits in the garage all year round, can't afford the insurance or they are too afraid to drive it because they can't risk a possible expensive repair IMHO is a much bigger poser.

greg328 and 330 4HL like this.
  18. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    *you're

Husker and greg328 like this.
  19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, but I didn't make my point properly.

There is only 1 Jaguar XJ13 thus I cannot get too upset with somebody wanting to replicate something that is completely unattainable. Also while the production v12 Jaguar engine is not correct it is close and easily obtained without destroying another historic Jaguar.

The Ford GT40 can be replicated without hurting any historic car as the engines are very available. Same goes for Cobra replicas.

I say this because my ONLY beef with replicas is the destruction of historic cars to make them.
    Pete

20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If I have a real Miura and can't afford to drive it, I still have a Miura.

If I create a fake one, I'm deceiving people. If its an accurate fake, I'm using Gandini's and Lamborghini's design without paying them, deceiving more people and perpetuating a lie about my means.

It's a shame if a guy can't afford insurance on his dream car, but its not fundamentally dishonest.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, you're absolutely right about cannibalizing important cars for the sake of creating a fake.

But - an XJ13 is unattainable, as you say. So rather than creating something that isn't really an XJ13, why not spend the money preserving or restoring something that matters? History is interesting. Excuses and footnotes really aren't.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan

It may not be proper to say a person is fake. It's most likely somewhere between a slight an an offense.

I have no problem calling a car a fake however. Although in a jesting sort of way, I prefer "fakey pooh".

I have mixed feelings about the issue of "is it taking someone elses work". In some instances it must be. But, we see the Mona Lisa and other reproductions as being legitimate. I absolutely understand the value of ones work.

I'll need to deliberate. It requires thorough thought IMO.

In an absolute sense, taking anything of value without consideration must be wrong. Right?

Shelby use to say he made the best car in the world. He only made two thousand, and all fifty thousand are still on the road.

God bless.

23. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The thing I hate about replicas is that it makes me unsure if I've seen the real thing. The neighborhood I live in is full of people who can afford real, super rare cars. When I see them I'm never sure if it's the real thing though. It takes the thrill of seeing something like a 959 on the street away.

24. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #24 Dincenzo, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some are very hard to tell from the original! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    Well, what do you guys think of all of the base model 60s-70s cars that have been transformed into clones of the high performance variants?