Bugatti Royale (1 of 6 made) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Royale (1 of 6 made)

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by AxerJk, Feb 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #26 stevenwk, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the family to the Titanic exhibit yesterday for the sole purpose of viewing the exhibit; nothing else.

Yet, year after year, I am always drawn to this car. As usual, I drag the wife and my girls to the other side of the museum and view the car. My visit is never complete without a look. It never gets old for me.

How many of you remember the the Testarossa and the 300 SLR that the Henry Ford used to have? Sure do miss those cars too!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Really?? When did they have those there? I remember visiting a LONG time ago and seeing the Firebird III concept, and had a bit of nostalgia the last few times I visited the GM Heritage Center.

Chris

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Early 1980-1981, but they were there for many years.

The TR, as I recall, had #16 on the car. My father has pics of the car that were taken in "stereo." That Ferrari was sold maybe 10-15 years ago?

The 300 SLR was there at the same time as the TR.

I remember them well.

4. Alan Cox

Alan Cox Rookie

May 7, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Full Name:
    Alan Cox
    #29 Alan Cox, May 7, 2012
  5. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Chris,

The neat thing about that particular TR (and the 300 SLR for that matter) is that it was in race worn condition. Patina galore. It looked as if it had just got off the track and deposited directly in Dearborn. I was a sophomore in high school at the time. It was those early years and viewing those two cars which ignited my passion in automobiles.

Steve

6. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Hey Steve,

If you are into those types of cars, you should really consider visiting the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. They have a 250 TR, a 250 LM, Shelby Daytona, '63 Corvette Grand Sport, Porsche 917, and TONS of other 7-8 figure cars. They are all original, no replicas. Once a month, they have a driving demonstration where they actually take these historical cars an drive them outside. The museum is just spectacular. Check it out here: http://simeonemuseum.org/

It looks like we also live close, do you attend a lot of the car shows around the area?

Chris

7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Chris,

I've heard of, but have never been. Yes, supposed to be spectacular. Hope to make it out one day to Philadelphia and go. -

On and off through the years I have attended the local shows here in the Detroit area. I am always amazed at some of the significant cars that have gone through metro Detroit over the years.

Incidentally, in the mid 80's there used to be a nice gathering in Grand Blanc, but I don't know if this event is still held. Many Ferraris; I want to say that it occurs during the Buick Open perhaps.

Steve

8. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    #33 dgrperformance, May 16, 2012
  9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    it makes the TD look like a childs toy :D

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    TB???

11. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    PA.....

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i thought was a MG-TD, but now realise it's not...what model is that smaller car?

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    TC? Don't think TD had wire wheels.

14. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I think an earlier car than the TC - this has cycle fenders.

PA is likely.

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #40 JeremyJon, May 18, 2012
  16. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Again, my recollection - may or may not be 100% accurate.
    I believe the TR was driven by Phil Hill to significant success. It was traded or sold within the last few years to obtain the #16 Locomobile from Peter Helk's estate because the museum wanted to focus it's collection more on American made cars.

17. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What happened to the 300 SLR?

18. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #43 kevin956, Jun 28, 2012
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  19. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    MG J2 "Midget" :)

20. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Here we find ourselves debating the lineage of an early MG while contemplating the absolute King of the classic era.

However, I was sad to see that the Shlumpf replica does not maintain the artistic style of El Maestro.

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been working up a little history on the car and am confused , did Dr. Fuchs, the original owner, actually take it to Japan when he lived there before the war? Or was it China? And, in the opinion of those who work for automakers, were the repairs done by Cheyne (changing to two carbs) something a lot of hobbyists could have done, or did it help that he worked for the world's largest automaker? Is it true that Cheyne saw it parked at Saratoga race track in the '30s and that's when he fell in love with it. I am from Detroit and saw this car every time I went to the Museum. I prefer it in its present white compared to the black and yellow it was reportedly ordered in.

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Art in wheels.!

23. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    To the best of my knowlegde Dr. Fuchs emigrated to the States sometime after 1933. Then the block cracked during a winter in the late 30ies or early 40ies and due to the fact that the Bugatti factory in Molsheim basically ceased to exist after the German victory over France he was unable to source any spares and the car was sent to the scrapyard where CC found it ~ 1943 (???). I think thats the commonly accepted history of this example more or less.

I also agree that its definately among the best looking Royales....the Coupe Napoleon may be more iconic, but its a truly beautiful car. I also like the white/ivory colour scheme though Ive heard there have been plans to eventually bring it back to how it looked on delivery.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The Esders green car is the "replica", although using authentic Bugatti parts, and after-all, it was commissioned by the Holy Land of Bugattis, the French National Auto Museum in Mulhouse. I prefer to call it "semi-real".

Have been there at least 7 times, most recent was in 2011. If you are a Bugatti fanatic, this is the place to visit. First two words I tried to teach my youngest daughter, Ferrari and Bugatti. Knowing the meaning behind those names opens a lot of doors for a woman.

25. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The Dearborn Museum had 0704. Yes a Phil Hill car.
    Detail - 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Best,
    Dave