Tehran Cafe Racers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tehran Cafe Racers

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by RHS, Aug 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Let me get a hold of the owner to get his permission.

Regards

Ramin

2. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Interesting that a 930 Turbo Targa is in Iran. Must have been imported by a "somebody" post-revolution. Where is he pumping fuel? I can't imagine the regular gas stations carry a fuel that's high enough in octane for it.

Looks like a lot of fun though, thanks for sharing the photos. I will send a friend of mine who has a white 300SL gullwing that he keeps in Karaj a link to this post.

3. Eccentric M

Eccentric M Karting

Sep 27, 2009
    CAN
    wow, love this thread! It's great to see exotics and their owners in Iran, I should go there someday!

4. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    that Black 308 looks fantastic,

so much better than resale red

5. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    I've never seen one with 355 wheels on it, now I have--looks good, great thread, nice to see car guys are car guys wherever they happen to be on the globe, cool.

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Shah had the good stuff. At one time reporteldy 1000 cars. A French magazine Automobile Classique had a story while back. The only cars I recognized in the dimly lit garage were a silver Bizzarrini and a Mulliner bodied RR Phantom V. I heard they want unreal prices but at the rate the iranian currency is falling (at least 20% in the last few weeeks) maybe they will be dirt cheap. None of the cars I saw in the pics looked like they were from his Stash. I heard the way some of his cars got out (like the Miura Nic Cage had) is that when the Shah fell the ones being worked on in europe got claimed by the shops that were working on them.

7. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #32 RHS, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

The picture that you are referring to was taken a few years back of the warehouse of the National Car Museum. The cars featured, have been kept in storage until the museum can open up space to put them on display. Some cars are not displayable, as they were damaged when some of the palaces were overrun.

None of the cars are not for sale, nor will they ever be, as they are now protected as historical artifcacts under law. Some of the cars were indeed sold and taken out of Iran in the 80's and 90's, but after the sale of the Miura you mention, there was a major lobby effort by enthusiasts and othe people to avoid this from being repeated, and the cars were recognized as historical artifacts. As a result, a visit to the museum will provide a first hand view to everything from a 500/540K Autobahn Kourier Mercedes to a Ferrari Superfast.

In May 2009, a group of enthusiasts from the Classic Car Committee of the Iranian Automobile Federation banded together and with the museum, brought out 16 cars from the warehouse you mention, had them cleaned up, and unveiled them in a special show held at the museum on May 18, 2009. The Bizzarrini is now on permanent display. In May 2011, the Committee arranged that an Lamboghini Espada was also brought out of storage and unveiled at a show in the museum.

The picture attached shows the Bizzarrini on display among a number of other cars at the museum

I hope that this information clears up matters.

Best Regards,

Ramin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #33 RHS, Mar 21, 2012
    Hi,

In February, there was a one day amateur rally with a special class for the classics. The rally was held in Tehran and it was a neat site to see classics driving across the city from point to point. As most of the Cafe Racers took part, I thought you would enjoy the pictures. Pictures are courtesy of Cafe Racer Keyvan Moradi. First pic is of a Khamsin at the starting line.

Happy Now Ruz

Ramin

9. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #34 RHS, Mar 21, 2012
  10. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #35 RHS, Mar 21, 2012
  11. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Gorgeous Lancia. Post more if you can. ;)

12. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #37 RHS, Mar 23, 2012
    Hi,

I have to back to my archive as the owner is a Cafe Racer regular. I have already posted a picture of the car on page one of this post. Here is one, from that date. I will follow with more once I have a chance to go to my archive. I will also see if there are other photo's of the car from the rally.

Best Wishes

Ramin

13. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #38 RHS, Mar 23, 2012
  14. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #39 RHS, Mar 23, 2012
  15. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Its great to see you guys there. I hope to make it back there again ,it's been more than 25 years since I left. ...... Gorbanet.

Steve in NY

16. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Kheili Mokhless,

Let us know, when you do make it.

Ramin

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    really cool. Thanks for posting!!!

18. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Great to see a regular member from Iran finally, I am Persian myself and I definitely miss the car scene back home!

I actually did visit that car museum and checked the older beauties out. Shame most of the cars are not well cared for. Still amazing to see the white Miura that was buried under dust for 20 years(?).

Keep the posts coming Ramin!

chakerim!

19. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #44 RHS, Apr 17, 2012
    Koocheketam,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. We had a couple of other events and I will update accordingly. In the meanwhile here a couple of pictures from the museum which I thought you might enjoy. The Miura that you mention and a Ferrari Superfast.

Mokhless !

20. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great pics! I'd love to see more BMW content from the motherland. :D

21. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Salam Mike!

I posted a few pics from Cafe Racers and the BMW Classic Car Club of Iran on page 7 on the "BMW Owners on Ferrari Chat ?" topic in the General Automotive Discusion section. We have a quite a number of Bimmers in our events, mostly 02's and 3.0cs,. I will dig up some more pictures shortly.

Regards,

Ramin

22. nuclear

nuclear Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    Olympia WA.
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Great pictures! If our countries concentrated on what we have in common this world would be a hell of a lot better place.

23. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #48 RHS, Jun 16, 2012
    Hi,

Sorry about the tardiness in the posts. I was busy organizing the Tehran-Caspian Classic car rally which was from Tehran to the port of Anzali. The rally also served as the second year anniversary of the Cafe Racers. I will update accordingly.

In the meanwhile here is the last track day event we had for the year (Iranian New Year) in March. The two 3.0cs went head to head in a drag race, with the blue one wnning.

By the way Bimmerista, we had a silver 2002 Turbo from Shiraz compete in the rally. Hope to post pics soon. In the meanwhile, here are some pictures from the track day.

Regards,

Ramin

24. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #49 RHS, Jun 16, 2012
    Hi,

Here is a drifting Fiat 124 Fiat Abarth being driven by local rally champion Vachik Haghverdian. He is the only guy I have seen do donuts in a VW bug.

Enjoy,

Ramin

PS. All pictures courtesy of Cafe Racers Keyvan Moradi and Kasra Kiani.

25. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    #50 RHS, Jun 16, 2012
    Hi,

Here is the 124 chasing an gorgeous Alfa.

Regards,

Ramin