400i Series 2 5-speed on eBay - s/n 50679 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

400i Series 2 5-speed on eBay - s/n 50679

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, Aug 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll bet a really fouled air filter would cause such a dent to become permanent.
    Greg

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #102 Steve Magnusson, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did you ever find an added frequency valve and/or any modified plumbing?

Here's a 412 engine with the Lambda modification -- not as obvious, but you can still see the (added) FV mounted between the forwardmost oil filter and the alternator:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #103 Highmiler, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Not yet.
    Vernon Johnson, D.C.'s son, tells me via e-mail that the Johnson box works with the existing plumbing as a helper.
    The Johnson box was one of the ever more sophistocated items I investigated as a possible cause for my vapor lock issue.
    Greg

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm going to have to remain a skeptic as there is nothing "electrial" in the stock K-Jet without Lambda system that could be connected to the Johnson box (and classify your car as maybe once as having been modified, but now back to stock unless you can find something added, like a FV, that converts an electrical signal to a hydraulic physical action).

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What are the performance / other advantages to go the Lambda route & risk the fuss that could come w/it? My technical sources are @ another location & out of reach for a week. :(
    Also, the FV looks to be an easy conversion, but what about the J-box? It's connections, etc.?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    AFAIK, no performance advantage -- just needed to comply with US importation.

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hmmm,...I've heard of adding cats sometimes (but not all shops) & once in a while air pumps, unleaded fuel stickers & restrictors in the filler tube, but not Lambda. Side markers & box steel reinforced bumpers is all that appeared to have federalized mine. Just knocking down the CO mixture (w/o throwing the HC's & NO's off the charts) was what it took to pass was how I thought they got them through. I don't know if Lambda is a can of worms I'd want to throw into the mix. I guess you were @ the mercy of the fed. shops, some more stringent than others.

8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ya know fellas, all this wisdom will be seen by no one under the current thread.
    Maybe someone ought to start a new thread with some of this one's latest content.
    Over...
    Greg

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aaw, you know...this stuff just happens. I thought I titled a response in this thread 'no hijacking intended' but I guess that was another one.
    You know, if all of us were locked up in a room somewhere, we wouldn't get any sleep for weeks! :D lol

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No sleep and more knowledge shared than anyone would believe. Let's face it our little group that meets here knows more about these cars than anyone.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just speculating, but it could be a transitional sort of thing depending on the (perceived) model year of the imported vehicle since the US F models went from K-Jet without Lambda in 1983 to K-Jet with Lambda in 1984. I know this drove people a little crazy when a 1983 euro 308QV could stay without Lambda when imported to the US, but a 1984 euro 308QV had to be with Lambda -- even though there is no difference at all between a 1983 & 1984 euro 308QV -- maybe the same sort of situation for 400i existed (e.g., both Greg's 400i and 50679 seem to be classified as 1984 so they needed to be with Lambda)...

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I don't ever recall seeing Lambda on the 412's, so no transitional thing. I think these 2 cars might be isolated cases.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The photo in post #102 shows a 412 modified with Lambda -- but agree that probably most cars, if ever modified, have been put back to stock...

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #114 blkprlz, Apr 30, 2012
    Dah, it's only been 2 days & I lost track of that one!
    How 'bout this for getting back on track:
    A little less than 5 days on this go round, looks like 2 bidders are the main contenders...unless another is sitting back w/a stop watch to key in that winning bid @ the last second (providing it meets reserve).

15. Frrarinut

Frrarinut Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    Yes, it has been great. I have been driving this car daily and I am enjoying it immensely, but I now have a matching pair of 400GT's and I have just picked up a 365GT2+2 as well as my others so something has got to go. I am out of space in my garages. You know I never noticed that the two air intake tubes don't match, but now that you have brought it to my attention it will bug me until I switch one of them out for a matching piece. (Thanks for that... ;-) ) If I am reading this thread correctly the flat top version is correct for my car, right? Is there any discernible difference in running or settings between the two styles, and does anybody have a spare so that I can make them match? BTW I am still looking for a 365GT4 5 speed carb car...

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #116 blkprlz, May 1, 2012
    Whew,...thought you were trying to corner the market. :D

The flat versions were on the Series 1 & 2 400i's & somewhere late in 84 I noticed that they began to switch to the indented version but would also notice some 412's w/flat ones (always thought it was because they would use whatever that was laying around until they used them up). I kind of thought that the indented ones were part of the redressing of the retrograde taken with the advent of fuel injection, improving air flow dynamics from the sensor plate to the intake plenum. That coupled with an increased bore of 1mm, up'd compression from 8.8 to 9.6, and remapped fuel injection brought HP ratings back up to 340 (the original rating of the early 400 carb'd. versions).
    Eurospares sent me a replacement left side intake conveyor of the flat top variety, & I need an indented one. PM me if interested in swapping your indented one for this one.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I am pretty sure that this same car is also on listed AutoTrader (Canada) with an asking price of $32000 CAN:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ferrari/400/TORONTO/Ontario/19_5258821_/

Cheers,

Sam

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is there ANY publication this car HASN'T been listed in?

19. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    That must mean that you are the single biggest collector of 400 series on the planet! I thought I was doing well with one!
    Do you have a manual 400GT?
    You must be mad and you must have lots of dough and you must have taste.
    Alastair

20. Frrarinut

Frrarinut Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    #120 Frrarinut, May 3, 2012
    Hi Alastair, I think I might have become the largest 400 collector if I had bought the black/black car as well, and I almost did, but in a fit of madness I didn't. I still regret it. You are certainly doing well with one 400. In my books people who appreciate the 400 for its smooth powerful V12, high speed dynamics, and understated good looks are on the right track. Yes both of my 400's are 400GT's with the 5 speed manual transmission. The serial number plate is marked 400GT while the chassis plate is marked 400i. In my opinion the manual shift completely transforms the car. I love to rev it up through the gears. As far as "lots of dough" that's not me, but thanks for "taste" and as far as "mad" I suppose I must be... ;-)

Still looking for a blue 365GT4 2+2 manual carb car...

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, that first 400i GT with the tan interior and the inset rear side marker lights certainly looks familiar! Did you buy that from Stamford, CT and would you care to fill us in on your experience with the car, including the serial number and other tidbits?

22. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good stuff
    The silver and red looks great, coincidently mine is black on black though ime thinking of changing the colour to grigio ferro similar to yours on pic , Ithink it really compliments the brushed stainless pillars etc, any case well done on nice cars
    On the detail are both cars carbbed or are they FI?
    Regards
    Alastair

23. Frrarinut

Frrarinut Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    Yes, my Grigio/tan car was previously Chuck's in Stamford. I picked it up in Stamford and had a great drive bringing it back. It runs very well, shifts well, and its handling is super tight because all of the suspension bushings have been done. Both of my 400's are injected. Please do correct me if I am wrong but aren't all 400's injected and all 365's carb cars? I have seen a lot of references to the 5 speed cars as 400GT's and the automatics as 400i. My cars say 400GT on the VIN plates, and 400i on the chassis plates. What do the VIN and chassis plates on the automatic cars say?

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, I thought so! I think that you got a good buy on that car because of the work that Chuck had done to it.

As for the nomenclature, the 400 series cars have carbs and were produced from 1976-78 with 355 automatics and 145 5 speeds for a total production of 500 cars. Some sources say that 501 cars were produced. Typically they were called 400A or 400GT depending on the transmission type.

The switch to the Bosch fuel injection for the 400i series started in 1979 and ran until February 1985 during which 884 automatics and 424 5 speeds were produced for a total production of 1,308 cars. Some sources say that 1,294 cars were produced but they overlooked the fact that 14 400is were produced in the first two months of 1985, bringing the total to 1,308 before the 412 began production. As with the earlier versions, they were called 400iA or 400iGT.

As for the chassis numbers, I'm only familiar with those that have the 17 digit VINs that started around 1982 or so but the automatics started off with ZFFEB06 while the 5 speeds started off with ZFFEB07 in the first seven spots.

25. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Spot on John
    Good explanation of the subtle but important differences in models.