Vintage Guitars | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #401 PAP 348, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the explanation mate. :):)

Most times when you see an ESP for sale, especially the older ones you will see them state "pre-lawsuit". The later ones the same, but "post-lawsuit".

On the ESP guitars forum there is a big thread dedicated to the ESP explorer. I have seen pics there of the differences from the early and later guitars. Only subtle differences, but enough to have Gibson off their back.

From around the early 2000's or so, they dropped the Explorer shape all together and now have their EX series which is similar.

Here is a pic of an old white MX220 Hetfield Explorer, the new black Hetfield Snakebyte guitar and a new white EX/FX series guitar. :):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #402 PAP 348, Dec 30, 2011
    Here is my latest addition to the family. :eek:

An ESP KH4, just received it an hour ago. :eek:

Pretty much the same as all the others I own. It's a neck-thru guitar and it has a huge sound!

Feels and looks amazing too. :D:D

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Nice, Papster...!

I really like the color and the contrasting pick guard.

Mike

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks Mike, it's really nice in person. :)

I mean, REALLY nice! :D

Great guitar and has a super fast and smooth neck.

You can't beat a neck-thru body guitar. Their sustain and feel is unbeatable.

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #405 PAP 348, Jan 2, 2012
    Bought this one a few months ago also, just arrived today.

ESP KH1.

Kirk Hammett's first ESP signature series guitar. This one is from 1996. First (and last) Flying-V I will own and it's actually pretty sweet.

Balance is good, action is low and it sounds heavy. Perfect 80's metal guitar.

I need two more ESP's to complete my collection. 10 down, two more to go.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #407 PAP 348, Apr 19, 2012
    Thought I would celebrate the arrival of my twin baby girls by buying yet another ESP Kirk Hammett guitar. :D

This is the limited edition KH2-SE guitar. They made only 100 of them before the tsunami hit Japan last year.

ESP then decided to keep this guitar to 100 pieces, hopefully making it more valuable so I can sell for top dollar in the future. :eek:

Colour is 'Greenburst', with green pearl skull & crossbone inlays. Frets #17-24 are also scalloped.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #408 PAP 348, Apr 25, 2012
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #409 G. Pepper, Apr 29, 2012
    Some of you guys own more guitars than I've had in a professional career spanning almost 40 years!

Some highlights from my past are a 1959 Gibson L5 and a matching 1959 Birdland, both tobacco sunburst, and only a few serial numbers apart. Bought them for less than $1K each in the 70's and sold them years later for a few thou each after my jazz and bebop phases were over. They are ridiculously valuable now, which is a shame: Nobody who has the money to own a guitar like that is player enough to deserve it. It's all rich speculators with zero chops and a few mega-lucky mega-stars. But I digress.

Had a Steinberger GL2T-GR with the first model of the Trans-Trem and the original Roland GR guitar synth electronics. Didn't use it with a Roland, though; I had a Synclavier (Look it up: They were tens of thousands of dollars back in the 80's). Bought that guitar form Ned Steinberger personally when I had a side job at Manny's Music on 48th St. in Manhattan.

Got tired of the scumbag shysters in the music business - is there ANY GOOD TIME a lawyer can't ruin? Don't try to tell me they don't bear false witness for a living! - and switched to solo classical guitar in the 90's (Did I mention that I hate lawyers?). I had always played classical on the side, but blew off the steel string crap forever at age 31. Kept my 1974 Martin D-28 with a primo close-grained top for several years just out of nostalgia, but finally found someone who deserved it back in 2005, so I let it go.

Kept my 1979 Anthony Galliard Murray classical, which is pictured below. The bearclaw German spruce top was made from wood harvested in the late 40's, just after WW II. I have another, but with a plain top (It actually sounds far superior).

Those guitars own me, so I'm far too paranoid to gig with them. Instead, I now play Blackbird Rider Nylon carbon fiber guitars exclusively. They are almost as ugly as the Ferrari FF - but not quite - but they play like a high end classical, have a great acoustic sound (If a bit sterile), and best of all, can be had with the amazing RMC Polydrive hexaphonic pickup system. Since I play amplified and also still play synths, this is super-plus amazing.

Someone start a thread on amps: I've owned over a dozen MESA/Boogie amps over the years, starting with my first '77 Mk I that I ordered from Randy Smith personally (Took four months for delivery!). Had Mk II's, Mk III's, and now just use the rack power amps.

Oh, I have a Bachelor of Music degree from Berklee College of Music in Boston, and a Master of Music degree from Texas State (It was Southwest Texas State back then). Also did all of the coursework of a Doctor of Musical Arts degree at UNT, until I figured out I hate leftard college professors even more than I hate lawyers. lol.

Cheers,

George

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for sharing your story George! :)

11. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    #411 Ebaeza, Mar 14, 2014
  12. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    #412 Ebaeza, Mar 14, 2014
  13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great collection! Love the Paul Gilbert models.

Happen to have an 540pII in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    Thanks Schatten!
    From Ibanez I´ve got 12 Jems, a multicolor Universe, JS1, PGM100, two 540S, 540P, 540R, another Saber, RG550, a US Custom Graphics and a couple of Jazz type ones. No 540pii. I´ve been actively looking for one, but they aren´t that easy to find..

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Very awesome collection. Love the PGMs.

I have come close to buying a 540pII several times, but then I came across a custom build 7 string 540pII. It was a custom body, Indonisean neck (not reversed though). Pretty kickass guitar, but... I ended up selling a few years later. Not a real pII, but close! It was the first 7 string build out there. Now there are 2 or 3 out there built from parts.

Custom Ibanez RG540PII 7 String | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Custom Ibanez RG540PII 7 String | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

16. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    #416 ang308, Mar 18, 2014
  17. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    #417 ang308, Mar 18, 2014
  18. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    Beautiful Les Pauls Ang308! Love the goldtops

19. spaghetti

spaghetti Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    SC, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob Satterfield
    #419 spaghetti, Mar 19, 2014
    My humble guitar collection (crappy photo)... I just started playing three years ago and am addicted.

2009 Fender Stratocaster (USA)
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    2012 Taylor Acoustic

(also; 2000 Gretsch Drum set and 1988 Ensonics keyboard)

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What an amazing collection you have there! Really appreciate the pics, there are sooooooooooo many cool guitars there to play. :)

Cool collection mate.

Lovely setup, thanks for the pics.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #421 PAP 348, Mar 22, 2014
    I FINALLY found the last guitar I wanted for my ridiculously expensive guitar collection that I don't play.

This is the ultra rare ESP KH20 #02. Made in 2007, only 44 were produced and they seldom come up for sale. They have a beautiful flamed maple top on them that is amazing in person. Pics don't do it justice.

There is a lot of history behind this one and I went to great lengths to ensure I got this one in particular.

I had to entrust the help of fellow Yankee Fchatter Plugz to help buy this guitar as the seller would not send to Australia from the US. I am very grateful having friends in the right places when their help is required.

I will get a pic of all of them together again one day.

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Kickass! Yes, another guitar for the collection that are unplayed, but gorgeous works of art!

23. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    PAP, that ESP is like the Holy Grail! Congrats amigo!!

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    After abusing crappy Strat's and Les Paul replica's since I was 10yrs (40yrs) old I took the plunge (shallow end) and picked up a '07 Fender Telecaster.

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sorry I forgot additional info (can't add pics w/out a subscription) but....Maple neck with black body, SN#Z7271184. I spoke with Fender USA and verified the details so all is well. Need new strings and a slight "neck adjustment" and then a amp. Good times.