Gas smell on start up | FerrariChat

Gas smell on start up

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 4REphotographer, Apr 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not so mechanically inclined so I'd appreciate some help. I've got an 02 Camry that besides an oil leak has been bulletproof. Yesterday when I started it I got a big wiff of gasoline and it did the same today. I let it idle for a few minutes and it seems to have disappeared. I checked under the car and there were no signs of any gas leaking. The car really doesn't get driven much anymore, it's used as an overflow when the other 2 cars are out so maybe 30 miles a week. Any ideas?

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Check for porous rubber fuel hoses. They fill with fuel like a sponge, the fuel will evaporate, you smell it but you don't see any leaks.

3. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    It could be an exhaust issue, catalytic converter, there could be a small leak that you are overlooking, since it's not driven much, like Florian said, check the hoses.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alright, I'll take a look in the morning.

5. Hannah

Hannah Karting

May 7, 2005
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Hannah
    Did you have a look yet? Is there black smoke when you start it up?

It was really smelling gassy when I would start my car...it was also running really rich...turned out I had a faulty O2 sensor and it was not detecting the correct amounts of oxygen anymore. It was an easy fix

A leaky exhaust could be the cause too...it fools the O2 sensor making it think you are running lean and ends up giving you more gas

Good luck!

6. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I couldn't really see much, my inspection is a few weeks out of date anyway so I might just take it up to Toyota and they'll do the inspection and a free diagnostic of the car, hopefully it won't be too expensive.