How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by yale, Apr 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage?

1. As is, recreation discussion happens in vintage as what the Ferrari once was (250 GTE).

2. Create a subforum under vintage to discuss all recreations and rebodies (replicas go to Off Topic).

3. Create a subforum under Ferrari Models for all recreations and rebodies (250 GTE/GTO to 308/288 GTO)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Thank you. Too much of this back and forth argument is propagated by people without Ferrari ownership experience or any standing in the vintage community.

Possession of a computer does not qualify anyone to sit in judgement of others.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #77 PSk, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Note to self: Don't both ever joining any form of Australian Ferrari car club. David McKay was right ...

Pete
    BTW Ian, I've been a member of an owners club for ~28 years. My father helped restore cars for MOTAT in New Zealand and has been a member of vintage clubs for longer than I have been alive.

You go and drive your Ferrari mate so you can jack your nose up that little more ... how sad.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

really? are you serious? you have just exposed yourself as a complete elitest.

i would say pete is a valued member here and very much entitled to an opinion regardless of his ownership status.

pcb

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    not at all, I just wonder how a person can hold strong opinions as to what is and isn't acceptable (e.g. Enzo to P4/5 is OK, GTE to SWB not OK) when they have no experience in any aspect of vintage Ferraris, being that restoring them, servicing them or indeed owning one.

An old Ferrari can be purchased for the price of a family sedan (365GT4) so there's nothing elitist about it.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ian,

We've been over this so many times. When the P4/5 was made Ferrari was still making Enzo's so we are talking about a modern completely replaceable car. Ferrari do not make GTE's anymore and thus they are irreplaceable.

Anyway I'm out.
    Pete

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think he is a true lover of cars, history and vintage racing. i suspect he has more than a little basis.

pcb

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    +1

I am just thankful that we have those who are better, who know more, who are elite and powerful and responsible and who can be trusted to lead us in all that is holey and good. Such a burden to not have to think and and to have someone else (who is better qualified clearly) tell me what is right and wrong and what should be respected and despised.

Terry

8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I owned a '69 Daytona #12775 for 6 years and put over 25,000 miles on it during that time including some very aggressive driving and track days. I have also owned a '77 308GTB, a dozen or so early 911S's, over 50 E-Type Jaguars, many Triumphs, Alfa's, Healey's and others.

I WANT no standing in the vintage Ferrari world and even though I HAVE owned vintage Ferrari's I also have no interest in standing in judgement of others as to what they like, how they prefer to enjoy the cars and what they choose to do with their own money.

I love the cars...

AS to whether a special thread is created to house the discussion of "donor car" based replicas or whatever.... I like the idea. A place for discussion of cool cars where perhaps it can be done without folks insisting on insulting others and what they may like.

Terry

9. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Talking about the 365GT4/400,now that you've gone there,how do you stand on the (recently)late David Levy's yellow car(I'm sure you can post a photo for our o'seas friends).
    A description will also help.
    I think it's the best 400 ever made.

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #85 IanB, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think David's car is a work of art and I would be happy to own it.

In summary, he adapted an Intermechanica Italia body to a 400 chassis, the original body of which was an accident damaged write off.

David would not for a moment have considered cutting up a GTE or 330 for his project.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nicely done and IMO a lot different than a Fake 250 GTO.

12. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I concur,it'll be interesting to see how this example pans out on this thread!!

Any thoughts on what will happen to this beauty.

13. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #88 daytonaman, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    ,,,thought I'd seen a couple of differences in various photo's,a better look in the bottom photo,IMO.

15. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sooo for arguement's sake,say the car in question was in the same condition as Howard's "before" photo and it was a 250/330 (unloved type) and someone with David's skill got a hold of it............

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    go back to page 1 of this thread Simon, it has been argued to death. I think the poll has resolved a reasonable way for fchat to manage replica discussions, but the rest of it goes into the "too hard basket".

17. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Jim, yes I do agree with your basis philosophy.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Best

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Seems to me it's OK to rebody or it's not. Just because the 400 is unloved today,... makes it no different than a "lowly" 250/330. the 250 get was unloved in yesteryears, getting us to where we are today.

I don't understand how anyone can intellectually honestly argue 1 is ok and the other is not...

20. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Not that I don't agree with you, but what is really getting people's blood boiling is that there is a trend to take perfectly good or easily restorable 250GTE's and 330's and make them into something else. The car shown above looks well beyond anything but the scrap heap, and I am not sure there would be the same vehemence to people creating GTO's out of a GTE that looked like that. Though others may disagree.

George

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Disagree... when a heap 250 GTE is converted,... people bemoan the loss of parts... the same standard should apply to all or none...

The car above is no more or less beautiful because it's on a 400 rather than a 250 IMHO.

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    totally different then cutting up a GTE in order to make it mimic another car.

1. no car was unnecessarily cut up.
    2. the new body is an original design

and on a subjective note: Wow, now that is a gorgeous machine!

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    has anyone looked to see how the hot rod crowd has handled the classification of the various creative projects they have had over there through the years... could be worth a look instead of inventing new nomenclature for various classifications... using an established meaning / classification would allow for easier understanding of what may have been done or where the car may have originated to arrive where it is in the present regardless of who made it

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I think you are on the right track here. Your "period rebodies" which I would assume would include the likes of 0147, 0262, the Breadvan and many others may not even need a sub forum as these cars are already so well known and doccumented. Jim's "rebodies" seem to be what I refer to as "replicas" This would probably be the most significant new sub forum. Your "replicas" would then be like my "reproduction" category. So it really is just a matter of titles. Great!!! So what happens next?? tongascrew