How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by yale, Apr 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How should recreations (rebodies) be handled in Vintage?

1. As is, recreation discussion happens in vintage as what the Ferrari once was (250 GTE).

2. Create a subforum under vintage to discuss all recreations and rebodies (replicas go to Off Topic).

3. Create a subforum under Ferrari Models for all recreations and rebodies (250 GTE/GTO to 308/288 GTO)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    For sure this will continue - a GTE isn't a that good looking car. Compared to other 60's Ferraris I consider them being quite ugly. But most important: the value of the engine surpasses the rest of the car.

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...you are about to be in some serious trouble now......you may wish to edit your statement....;-)

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    This could be an interesting reversal.....could these cars value get to the point where they will be disassembled for the value of their GTE parts? PSK and a few others will fairly wet themselves in joy & happiness..... ;-)

On the flip side, will there be new threads decrying the loss of *revisionist* history?

All because of FChat........

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I don't think GTEs will ever be worth more than the sum of the value of their parts. That's not a knock on GTEs, very few cars have that distinction. In this case the GTE has the fortune/misfortune to share parts with many vintage racers, which is the primary driver in price increase, IMHO. (inflation and currency hedging factored out)

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there are a few options, all options include the current and long standing policy that replicas go to Off Topic General Automotive ASAP.

otherwise the only decision on organization is around the recreation/rebodies on original Ferraris.

1) As is, recreation discussion happens in vintage with full identification of what the Ferrari once was (250 GTE).

2) Create a subforum under vintage to discuss all recreations and rebodies using original vintage Ferraris.

3) Create a subforum under Ferrari Models for all recreations and rebodies which would include the vintage and also the modern 308 to 288 rebodies as example.

6. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Well that's my opinion - i also don't think there is anything wrong about so there is no need to edit a statement like this (imo).

7. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #32 166&456, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    Once contemplated to buy a Daytona spyder replica on the basis of a Rover SD1. Even though it came with 'many original parts' and was built in the '80s, no Ferraris were hurt in the process of building it; still happy I turned the offer down.
    Cars like the above do not have a place on this forum; there are other locations for it and they cannot realistically be considered a Ferrari, not even close. For rebodied cars and closer to original such as mentioned "SWB", I vote for having a separate replica thread based on original chassis, exceptions only if it was done by the factory or because of an interesting historical reason. 99% of the cases will be quite clear-cut and end this discussion; the ones that are controversial will make an interesting discussion point.

Personally I have a weakness for the GTE's design and like it a lot, especially in silver. Of course an SWB is more sexy, the GTE is more elegant. The difference does not warrant a rebody in my book. You'd be very welcome to bring the GTE to any cocktailparty.
    The rebodying case is diminishing, thankfully.

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Rob - would you create a poll?

I vote for #2.

Anything that does not stem from a real Ferrari goes to OTGA or gets removed.
    Anyone who does not want to know about or discuss the items in #2 would not have to open that sub-forum/sticky thread, and thus not be insulted/abused/annoyed, etc. This would condense many threads into one, and keep the main forum "clean". Seems so easy.....

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Remember it will be just like the Sponsor subforum when one of its threads is the most recent it will appear on the main forum until something newer on Vintage replaces it. that's one thing that got Julio Batista and dm_n_stuff's panties in a wad.

I can add a poll to this thread.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you Rob! (for the poll)

I do understand the issue now about 'new-ness" keeping it as the first thread.....
    Is making it a 'Sticky' a worse solution?
    (it's always there, but in smaller print, easier to ignore?)

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    #3. One replica subforum in a general area to accommodate all flavors might be simpler?

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I think they should stay in the Vintage section because the basic platform of each Ferrari replica is a real (vintage) Ferrari. If nothing else, it helps realize/reconcile what once was. Thanks.

john

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I really don't mind individual recreations/replicas/rebodies/tributes/reimaginings/etc being discussed in the vintage section, if the particular car applies to the vintae era. What I'm tired of is some contributors feeling the need to lecture about how and why and what they think and feel about the general subject. That has been done to death. I think we know where everybody stands on the subject by now. So, suppose we all agree to discuss the car that is the subject of the thread, or put your comment in the Big Replica Comment Thread that already exists.

(That wasn't among the options to vote on, but I've been carrying it around for a while, so....) :)

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    They are allready worth far more than the sum of their parts.

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    GOOD GOOD GOOD !! This is just what should happen for a good unrestored GTE and the market place will have an effect on this. But there is for example a rear half of a GTE body shell in very rough shape for sale on Ebay. So what happened to the rest of the car? There is a good possibility that the chassis and other parts will be sold to eather a restoration project or a "replica" project so at least they will not be junked. I paid $500 for a pair of GTE front seats that are now in my 250 California reproduction. Better than being thrown out. just one man's opinion tongascrew

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How about this.

In Vintage all fake Ferrari's that are not what their replica bodies would lead one to believe should ALL in one thread with the header:

"Replica Bodied Ferrari Chassis"

Non Ferrari chassis replica's should be in the place they already are.

"Crappy Replicas thread"

By limiting all discussion, and outing of these cars that are not what they appear to be to one thread Vintage would no longer be cluttered by these threads which really aren't about Vintage Ferrari's.

17. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Usually by the time we are discussing it here, the deed has already been done. My own opinion is that these active discussions on Ferrarichat (in the appropriate forum) add significantly to the record of these types of cars and serve to inform and educate future generations of issues related to the rebodied cars. Commentary on correctness of the rebody, or lack thereof, or history of the engine or chassis number, relative value, wisdom of the endeavor, etc etc is exactly what future buyers/sellers/rebodiers will want to know.

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    And when there is an accepted organized format with categories and guidelines that can be reliably refered to, the future participants will have a place to enjoy and contribute to. just one man's opinion tongascrew

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    any changes don't have to be an end all. we can evolve or baby steps, we can also revert back. so far it is looking like we're headed towards a Rebody/Recreation subforum in Vintage.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    "as is" making a comeback.

21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    it's the way it's always been with society. Step 1, segregate and control. Step 2, legislate and persecute. The problem goes away if master-race proponents elect to ignore the replica threads, and opt to coexist with a reality they are ultimately unable to change. But they just can't help themselves. They must purge at all cost.

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    At a boy Jim. Are you really onboard?? I prefer my "Replica" and "Reproduction" titles but your defintions of the two categories are pretty good. It would be nice if we could get some of the good restoration shops and replica builders behind this effort. Got any ideas?? just one man's opinion tongascrew

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Good ideas. What I am starting to think is that the good restoration and replica building shops should get behind this effort. It would be a good way they could promote their business and help create a forum to organize and regulate the product. What is most disturbing to many is the perceived efforts by some to deceive. Others just can"t accept anything other than the originals cluttering up their space. They are entirely justified in this. When there is a recognised forum for the Replicas and Reproductions that doesn't infringe on their teritory this will go along way to ease the tension. just one man's opinion tongascrew

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Not sure about the "master-race proponrnts' who should be ignored but the rest of this has some merit. just one man's opinion tongascrew

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I'm not on board with any of your suggestions.

My suggestion remains simple.

As Replica's with Ferrari Chassis are allowed in Vintage, stuff all discussion of these cars into One thread "Replica Bodied Ferrari Chassis" so that the Vintage section won't be cluttered with multiple threads on them.