250 SWB Comp Re-Creation | FerrariChat

250 SWB Comp Re-Creation

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Zedtt, Apr 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i wonder if the folks at fantasy junction will get a similar rash of ***** as the good folks at redline got?

should wayne obry also be banished from the vintage ferrari world as a result of accepting the painting assignment?

by the way...a 250 gte never looked so good!!!

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    After wading through the "Fakes & Replicas" thread the owner was probably so traumatized by the wrath of the posters here that he immediately consigned the car for sale.....this may be just the tip of the iceberg.....

NB: I had previously used the word "experts" in place of 'posters' in the preceding sentence; but as with the words "replica" & "recreation", I'm awaiting a more definitive explanation.....

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Best looking GTE I ever saw. A car I would love to own, would be great fun to flog the daylights out if every day.

Terry

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Why would anyone want to call that 'the best looking GTE ever' or words to that effect, when it DOESN'T look like a GTE? It looks like a SWB and it ISN'T a SWB. While I am not particularly interested in going through this debate once again, I still wish we could tone down the admiration of non original cars, no matter what fake body was put on them.

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I suppose it's good to know the car is good enough to be deceptive.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Notice how almost every add for a replica uses this kind of argument to promote it. Also always the use of words like authentic, faithful, no expense spared, many original parts etc.

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Let's give Fantasy Junction some credit here. In their first paragraph they clearly state what this car is. Under my definition this car would be a "replica" but "recreation" is just fine. What would be great is if shops like Fantasy Junction got behind an effort to creat and operate an organization to define and doccument these cars. These cars need a place to exist for what they are and where they can be legitimently built, doccumented, shown,and enjoyed. just one man's opinion tongascrew

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Replica if wasn't built from anything Ferrari, it is a GTE that was recreated into a SWB same chasis, driveline, and maybe other parts. It could enter a Ferrari concours as a GTE, but might score negative after all the deductions.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    FWIW, and in keeping w/ my belief that the only reason these replicas/fakes should be on this forum at all is to properly identify which original cars they once were, s/n 3273 was a 1961 Series II 250 GTE, originally sold to "Comar" in France, PF build number 68064, with a tipo 128F motor (Raab).

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Nice SWB, it looks as close to the original item as immitation crab meat is to crab.

john

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    right on.

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Because it IS a GTE.... and as far as I am concerned it looks FAR better than any GTE bodied GTE... so that makes it the best looking GTE I have ever seen.

For some folks, its about the experience of the car. Most importantly, DRIVING it. HARD. Having fun with it. Using it as a tool for pleasure. I would love to own a real SWB, but that is not going to happen and even if it did I its value and historical importance would likely mean I did not use it as I would really prefer. But a car like this one... just what the doctor ordered.

It seems that for most Ferrari folks its all about the exclusivity, money, elitism and perception of importance. It leaves a definite bad taste in my mouth. Which is good because if I did own a car like this one I would NEVER take it to any Ferrari event. I would take it to Porsche events... where the folks care less about the nonsense and more about the fun.

Terry

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    An expensive fake. I'd rather have a real GTE.

14. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I kinda-sorta understand the WHY of such a project if it is done for one's own private exercise/enjoyment/use of mechanical skill(s)----yet what I cannot understand is the NEXT user (purchaser). What have you got? The above quote sums it up, just fill in the blank(s).

As an aside, Mercedes Benz is ACTIVELY pursuing and destroying these "knock-offs" of the 198 eg Gullwing as a patent infringement. Multiple recent accounts of such, check the web if interested.

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If the car can get FIA papers for certain events, it'll probably be sold to Europe where such cars and their owners are less......controversial.

16. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I agree with you there. I see now they have a 330 Spyder 10079, at the same dealers. The guys there are real nice, however it is a shame to see cars of this caliber (or lack thereof) being sold at such high prices. Sure there has to be a buyer, but certainly I can not see $495,000 value in such a car, even if it took that hour/dollar total. Just my opinion.

17. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    another thread on a fake..........
    sigh

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    A GTE has a very distinctive shape. A 330 America looks like a GTE. A 250 GT SWB does not. The GTE and the SWB are very different cars which has much to do with their very different concepts. There is really no point in judging this particular car on it's looks. It is only in theory still a GTE. And that is quite sad in itself.

Fine with me.

Again, fine with me.

So how would you feel about someone who did own a genuine SWB, but had the body removed, chassis lengthened, install rearseats and place a replica GTE body on it?

Your doctor obviously isn't into classic Ferrari's at all.

I am sure there are people who are in it for the money and status, but why leave out the folks that are in it for the historical aspect? You know, those poor saps who read the books, search for the pictures, discuss particular models and try to paint a picture of how it was back then. Enjoy the car for what it is and for what it always was intended to be. You know, back when the car left the factory in the state in which the first costumer had intended. No matter how much the car is worth in the current market.

Also fine with me. I am one of those poor saps who are in it for the history. I can not really be bothered with cars that portray to be other, far more valuable cars. Like many of us, which you call elitists, I feel the same passion for a genuine 250 GTE as I do for a competition SWB or a GTO. How elitist is that? Come to think of it, if you would go as far as to destroy a genuine Ferrari just to pretend you have a far more valuable Ferrari, then who is the true elitist?

If to you the preference for originality comes across as nonsense, than so be it, but then you have absolutely no idea what the love for vintage Ferrari's is all about. You are indeed better served at Porsche-events.

19. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Gentlemen!!

Keep the vintage section my favourite spot on F-chat.
    Keep it clean and pure!

PLEASE!!!!

More and more discussion on replica's rebodies and recreations appear..
    Somehow the ghost got out of the closet.

Rob, moderators
    I know you have to draw a line, and a Ferrari IS a Ferrari no matter what shape its in, but please create a solution, cherished members are drifting away, and the wealth of knowledge here is at risk.

20. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    That's a rather good looking GTE... ugh

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I once took a Brioni suit that belonged to my father, to Gieves and Hawkes to have it recut to my size and they had no objections. They put one of their labels on it. Later went to Brioni and was black-listed.
    Clearly a fake.

Regards, Alberto

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Let's hope so. Would prefer to see people spend money on authenticity over empty flash.

Yes, as long as replicas succeed at deceiving someone they are considered a success.

This is sad -- I always thought of Fantasy Junction as one of the more reputable (and interesting) players in the serious classic car business.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, and yet another venue for the philosophers on both sides to spout their approval or outrage. It's become predictable and boring.....

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that is bull, if someone doesn't have the discipline and emotional control to self-filter threads it isn't my problem. just like politics & religion or just like the sports forum, if you don't like basketball, then you don't read the basketball threads. a bunch of holier than thou prima donnas in the Ferrari community that in the end are just self-serving. people need to grow a pair.

If the car doesn't have any Ferrari blood in it (sans chassis, engine, and body) then I don't want the crap in any Ferrari subforum, it goes in OT General Automotive. If the car like this one was a GTE then it can be discussed as such, we can talk about adding a subforum under vintage for the rebodies like this, but then do all the period rebodies go in there too?

if people want to give up all the good here in the vintage forum because of a couple rebody threads then that is their loss. many of the ones complaining are ones that aren't so important in the Ferrari world anymore because FerrariChat is a comprehensive and efficient exchange for information. the business of Ferrari information arbitrage isn't doing as well these days. All you need to do is look who is complaining the most and then ask yourself why.