No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sachin, Apr 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Sure it does....more top end is always good !!!! :)

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Any chance we could see a photo or two highlighting this? I am ready to buy and have been waiting for these thinking they would look/run better than the Falkens or Kuhmos.

3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Ok but a Toyota Camary will be quicker from 0-120 mph (not faster top end).

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I don't have any good pictures that would illustrate the curvature. Can't get any right now but I will venture to say that the sidewall profile of the Kumho 265/45-16 will be better.

If and when I go to new tires on these rims it will be the Kumhos.
    They test out just as good (and safe) at high speed as the others available and have a much softer compound. (If they are available)

5. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Hi to all...more of a thread reader than poster but I saw this today and figured I'd post...looks like Tire Rack just updated with what you're referring to:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&frontTire=25WR6GFSPC2&rearTire=55WR6GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=1987&autoModel=Testarossa&autoModClar=

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    #156 burriana, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After searching long and hard a few months back and finally finding a pair of rears for my TR on eBay - I have just picked up in irreparable puncture!

As none of the US suppliers seem to ship to the UK, which is a shame as they have some Falkens which I quite like, I am, once again stuck!

Does anybody know the widest tyre that can go on the 10" TR wheel?

I'm guessing that width is not the problem, but finding them at the small 16" diameter?

Thanks,
    al

I mean, I ask you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    They are the ones I will be ordering unless someone knows where I can find these elusive Kuhmos.

A full set for just over £300 can't be bad (but I await the cost of shipping).

Buying tyres shouldn't be this hard!

8. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Does anyone know if the Kuhmo V70Ais any good, or even more of a semi-slick than Toyo 888s?

I can get these in 265/45/16 from Camskill in UK.

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    #159 curtisc63, Apr 4, 2012
    Look what the UPS man just left me!

Not saying the last set of Kumhos available but they are getting tough to find. TreadDepot-dot-com in GA had these two 265/45/16 in stock and at very good prices! Date code on them is 43rd week of 2008. Tire Rack and others no longer have stock and their date codes were similar - 38th week of 08.

My last Emails with Kumho USA said 3-6 months for more stock. Which is exactly what they said 6 months ago...:(

I agree with Spasso in that the BFGs are just going to be too hard - especially if you like to enjoy the back country twisties. I will get them mounted up in the next couple weeks and let you know what I think of them.

CC

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yoww! I like the look of those tires.

11. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    GREAT! Just went through the whole process of ordering and right at the end the guy says to me:

"you do realise that as they have no EC coding there is a 50/50 chance that they may be refused at customs, and we won't refund?"

And on a $826 order for the full set, I can't take that risk. So back to sodding square one.

Are any of the mainland Europe countries likely to have any, such as France or Germany?

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Be careful when choosing.
    Look at what the tire is supposed to be used for. There is a description with each type and recommended use.

I saw somebody here asking about a certain type and style and if it would be okay for his car.
    The recommended use was plainly stated, "DOT Drag Racing". You can imagine what would happen the first time this person tried to take a high speed corner.

A track tire of any kind is probably not the best thing to use on the open road

13. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Toyo 888s are classed as a track tyre but a lot of people use them on the road.

I am staying away from the pure slick and drag tyres though. Don't think they would be very good in the Alps! :D

14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Don't think they'd even be any good in the Dales Al ;)

15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, thanks Sam. Let me report on what happened. Longstone's did not have them, and had no idea when Michelin might make them again. My dealer (RAC performance - a sponsor here) went back to Coker who eventually found a pair that were backdated to DOT 2004. They also had no firm date for Michelin making these again... (415-40 VR 215) IIRC. I went ahead and bought the old DOT 2004 pair because my old ones were just about worn down and weather checked badly.

I am not really very proud of putting these old mfg date tires on, but I rationalized it this way:

First, I am not going to run this car up to top speed or even anything over a 100 or so.

Second, if I had bought them in 2004, they would only have about 4500 miles on them and they would still be on the car.

I suggest that if anybody else has these single-bolt metric wheels on an early 85 or 86 and want to keep the originals - it really is time to be looking for a pair of rear tires.

Then you won't have to convert it to tank treads.

16. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I had been checking to see when they were back in stock and ordered them today.

225/50ZR16 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
    for 1986 Ferrari Testarossa In Stock 2 $112.00 $224.00
    255/50ZR16 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
    for 1986 Ferrari Testarossa In Stock 2 $136.00 $272.00

17. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Let us know what you think of them once they're on the car!

18. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Should be an improvement. I may be one of the few to still have the original Goodyear Eagles on the car from 1986. 20,000 miles/2 owner car.

19. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
  20. CGF512

CGF512 Rookie

Dec 20, 2010
  21. gjpearce

gjpearce Rookie

Aug 17, 2011
    Just checked my tires and they are hard rocks. Of course they are about 12 years old and I only put about 1000 miles/year on my 1988.5 Testarossa. So I guess it is time to replace
    How do you like your Kumhos and what year is your car- i believe they are still available
    Thank you
    Gary Pearce

22. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    #172 curtisc63, Jun 12, 2012
    Greetings Gary.

Believe it or not, I just got them mounted up a week or so ago. I ran a friend's 360 wheels for a few weeks as an experiment while my factory wheels were getting refinished and ready for the new tires.

I have only a put a couple hundred miles on the Kumhos thus far including one easy, back roads rally. Initial impressions: Much quieter at highway cruising speeds than the Dunlop SP8000 that came off (but aren't all new tires initially?). Fronts seems to bite better and give better feed back through the steering. I want to put a few more miles on them and experiment with pressures a little before I take it out on some favorite roads and lean on them. The 'honey do' list has been formidable this spring...

Since this thread is pretty low in picture count, here is a shot of my TR with the 360 wheels on it. Totally changes the look of the car but not sure I love it.

Curtis

23. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    White on red looks awesome! Not a big fan of the wheels either...

24. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #174 sparky p-51, Jun 12, 2012
    I'm a fan of the blue L-39 and am with Chabch on the wheels. Jut replaced the tired old Goodyears with 12,500 mi on them with BFG G Force Sport comp 2. Jeez what a difference. Much quieter and smoother. I mean a whole lot quieter. Running them with 36 lbs of air. 96.00 fronts and 115.00 rears plus 60.00. ship from Tire Crawler in LA. BC said something about new compounds or something. He be right.

25. gjpearce

gjpearce Rookie

Aug 17, 2011
    What is the year of your car and the size of the tires? Any particular reason you chose these over the Kumhos?