1/24 Revell-Germany Ferrari California Kit Build | FerrariChat

1/24 Revell-Germany Ferrari California Kit Build

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nells250, Mar 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    #1 Nells250, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all

I thought perhaps some of you may like to see a 1/24 Revell-Germany California kit I am working on. I used to build a LOT when I was a kid, then I burned out. It seemed nothing I touched ever was good enough. When I lost my job a while back, I tried building again to keep me occupied. I have a bunch of unbuilt kits, and so far I have a 612, 430, and 599. Now I have the California in the works. Below are photos of the build so far. More info can be found at http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/t/108215.aspx
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Cool.... Thanks for sharing

3. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    Nice, great job

Thanks for building the best car first :)

4. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    #4 Nells250, Mar 28, 2012
    Today was wheel day. I rinsed off the stripped wheels and waited for them to dry. next, I painted the front of the backs (??) black, in case the spokes showed later on. Then I finally remembered a can of charcoal paint I had for my 1:1 Javelin wheels. Looks not bad on the rotors, which are supposed to be ceramic. Then the wheel fronts were sprayed silver with two clear gloss coats. Next step was some gloss red on the calipers. When dry, the logo decals went on. I made sure which direction the Pirelli tires were supposed to go (my tires have some imperfections on the sides that show...), then got befuddled for a while trying to keep all four wheel/tire assemblies in order. Then the center cap decals went on an things dried for a while. I noticed the wheels come with a little indent where the valve stems go on a real car, so I found some wire, cut it, and got befuddled again due to the metal bits being magnetized to my tweezers! I finally got them installed with some Testor's canopy glue. Finally, all the wheels were glued to the chassis.

5. BVC500

BVC500 Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Washington, D.C.
    You've done a nice job so far! I'm building three right now :)

6. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
  7. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Can anyone confirm that European market cars do not have red/orange reflectors/turn signals on the bumpers? If they do, it means I have to make some. Otherwise I can leave them off and put on a foreign license plate. All the photos I have seen are of cars here in the USA.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Wow you have a keen eye for detail.
    The Euro cars do not have the orange lights on the bumpers. You can confirm this by looking at some of the pics of the 2012 Geveva Auto show

9. mlad1101

mlad1101 Rookie

Jan 20, 2012
    Yes this is true. If you go to the "Official Ferrari California Picture Thread" you can see some EU cars on the last few pages.

10. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Aha, OK, I see some of the pics of cars without front or rear marker lights. Somewhere else on the forum I saw a car from the Middle East and it did have them, so now I wonder just WHICH country's plates I can use and still be accurate! I'd rather have US plates, but I can't decide!!!!

I will be posting photos soon of the model, as it is almost done.

11. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Do you sell these?

12. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    I have sold a few, but they were police cars and hand delivered.

I have only sold one model that had to be shipped. It was a custom Washington State police car, and the guy tried to rip me off, saying it was "severely" damaged in transit. He tried to get more than the shipping insurance out of me. I knew he was playing games, so I told him to deal with his local postmaster (which was suggested by a Postmaster I knew at the time). Never heard from him again...

So if I ever build for someone again, it will have to be hand delivered.

13. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    #13 Nells250, Apr 4, 2012
    The little California is finished! Thanks to folks who provided detail info!

The license plate is a tad too large because of the large mounting holes in the rear panel for the included European plates. Also made some front & rear side marker lights in order to make this a US market car. I tried a different technique to make them, this time using Tamiya clear red & orange on foil. The rear Cavallino is from an aftermarket set I had kicking around. Also the kit's front emblem decal is way out of scale, so I had to use a different one from a sheet I bought years ago.

14. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Just Awsome! You are a true artist

15. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Do you folks agree that the sides look a bit plain? Just a lot of red? I was thinking of adding some shields to the fenders... I have some nice decals I could use...

Thoughts?

16. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    That's awesome, great work!! Have you ever seen the little mini model that owners get with their car. I wonder which is a truer replica or more detail, etc?

17. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Mini model? I bet it is 1/43 scale, which is smaller... I could be wrong, but I'll bet $1 it is! ;-) ;-)

18. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Correct, the factory supplies 1/43 scale models. You win the $1.

BTW, I like your model - nice job!

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  20. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Those 1/43 models are more than likely made by BBR... everything they build is top quality and you have to pay for it!