Daytona experts-anyone know 12997? | FerrariChat

Daytona experts-anyone know 12997?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car is in SC, and I have been told that it has an interesting history, including being stolen and and then confiscated by the Italian police for a while. Something about another Daytona with the same serial number as well. Just interested in finding out the story so I know what I am looking at, that's all. The owner seems to think it is one of the best Daytona examples in existence.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pierre P likes this.
  2. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    I don't know this car, but I bet Marcel does. It is two serial numbers earlier than my Daytona and I covet it's right-side intake cam cover.

3. westextifosi

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Before Marcel corrects me, this car is two serial numbers after my car, rather than earlier.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #4 Marcel Massini, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Oh yes it does. Nice wording. Very diplomatic.

Please post photo of car and chassis number.
    Thanks.

Marcel Massini

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very sorry to say, 12997 is ONE serial number after 12995. They used odd numbers only for that kind of Ferrari.

Marcel Massini

6. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #6 Dincenzo, Feb 29, 2012
  7. westextifosi

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    I would have thought that 12997 would have been a plexiglass-covered headlight car with no headrests and a Momo wood wheel.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #8 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 29, 2012
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Please post a photo showing the CHASSIS number. Not the one on the steering column, I mean the one in the engine compartment, left front corner.
    Thank you.

Marcel Massini

10. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    That car ----- one word ----- character ;)

12. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Do you mean the car or the owner?

13. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    PM sent

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The car....:) It has a more "wild past" than my girlfriend ---- and her's could fill a book or two ;)

15. marlon308

marlon308 Karting

Sep 4, 2009
    NL
    Full Name:
    M.E. van der Meer
    Please reveal the truth behind this cliffhanger and the obvious notorious past owner....(please skip the bunga bunga details) !

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Answered.
    Check your PMs.

Marcel Massini

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    To be clear, I don't know anything directly, factually, or first hand ---- but, I have heard the legend of the "Daytona with the duplicated s/n" before ---- as to why it was duplicated, or whether or not this is even that Daytona, I can only speculate.......But, it jives.

I'm sure that either Marcel or the prospective owner can research all the pertinent, factual history about this car. I am merely hypothesizing.......place no great weight on my musings in this instance :)

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That was enlightening. This thread is bloody worthless, if there is a story to be told then tell it. If everyone is afraid of getting their asses sued then shut down the thread and close the story.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Has anyone thought to speak to the current owner? Seems to me that he would be the
    one to ask.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

has he posted in this thread? it will be great to hear from him!

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I recieved an email this evening from Floyd as he found out about the post, and he too would like to know more about his car as noted below.

"A friend told me about your posts"

"You are welcome to post what I included. I would like to know how the Italian Police got hold of her and what happened while she was in their possession.

I am not sure I need to post the entire letter from Ferrai NA. You can confirm the quotes."

I believe you have seen and read the letter from Ferrari North America, Inc. confirming Fiona, for an earlier owner. The letter ends: "In conclusion, I hope that this information has allowed you to rest assured that the numbers assigned to your vehicle are official."

The letter notes: "Also, while I was at the factory, I contacted the Italian Police Department ...". The time she was in the hands of the Italian Police, is a time in her past that is not well known to the people I know and trust. However, the Police also confirmed her as "legitimate as per their records" . Yes, I have heard more than one story and as a proud owner, I wanted to confirm as much as I can. I thought you may be able to help.

I am also very sorry you feel Fiona's current condition is unsatisfactory.

* Fiona does not have her original airbox (off a 1973 US Daytona). As you know, Pininfarina and Scaglietti have passed now and there is only one other key person, who signed Fiona's original airbox, who is still with us. I am framing it to protect their signatures and protect this piece of history.
    * As a 1969, she was also delivered as a Plexi. A trusted friend contacted the factory and they were confident she was converted to 'pop ups' in Italy, before she was exported to the UK."

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i love threads like this!!!

23. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    375+ wrote: "That was enlightening. This thread is bloody worthless, if there is a story to be told then tell it. If everyone is afraid of getting their asses sued then shut down the thread and close the story."

Nonsense. Worthless, my foot. Seems like most people are enjoying it - I am, for sure.
    Suggestion - if you don't like the thread, DON'T READ IT.

Respectfully submitted, Bob Z.

ps - Dave, Floyd, et all: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. This has really turned interesting.

24. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Whats the matter ---- you can't read between the lines ?!

I've already said everything that needs to be said from my vantage point....... I lament that being discrete has become a lost convention.

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Mike Osgood who was Ferrari UK restoration manager [ 20 + years at Ferrari UK] told me they converted lots of plexi cars to pop up lights at the time, as they where the latest thing to have! So it was not unusual to have this done.