Viper or Quattroporte? | FerrariChat

Viper or Quattroporte?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Webby, Feb 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you rather own?

1. Dodge Viper SRT/10

2. Maserati Quattroporte

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    An '03-'05 Viper and an '05-'07 Quattroporte seem to have similar values (Viper being a little higher). Obviously they are very different cars. Which one would you choose?

I'm not asking you to decide for me, just curious what people on here would go for.

2. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The Viper no question. Theres so much you could do with one the possiblies are endless!

The Quattroporte only if you have no plans of going beyond the speed limit.

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I don't like that much torque - so I'd go Quattroporte. Plus the Maser looks fantastic both inside and out! I think those years though have the somewhat clunky paddle shifters. I hear the automatic that came out in 07(I think) are much better and cheaper to maintain due to the lack of clutch you have to change since they can go fairly quickly in stop and go traffic.

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a 600 hp Viper, last year of manufacturing 2009 I think. In my view it is a beautiful car stunning from every view point except driving. The chasis never felt right unsure of itself and unstable. For the hp it was slow I do not think it is as fast or good to drive as a Vette Z06. The vette is a fast car but has 100hp less hp. The transmission lock from 1st to 2nd gear is stupid and agravating. I would not own one couldn't even give me one. They are reliable at least mine was in the very short time I owned it.

Never owned a Quattroporte but I did have one as a loner from the Ferrari dealer while my FERRARI was in for warrenty work. I think these are quirky cars, no power ,400 hp if I remember. The new car loaner had a buzzing through the floor boards on the passengers side. No handling only a cruiser, with no real performance. I only had it for 4 days.

I Would if forced to choose go for the viper. At least it would be fun to wash :)

Lee

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Is that even possible???

Myself? I'd go Viper, but not sure either of the 2 mentioned would be my first pick for any use at the price point.

6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #6 tervuren, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Given the choice of years, I'll take the Maser.

Now a first generation GTS, is another story.

7. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    QP. Never been a fan of American cars with an exception to a few.

8. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    I think I would go with the Viper, just because they are all manuals, which is something that I really like about that car.

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #9 bounty, Feb 20, 2012
    Webby: how big are you? Have you sat in a Viper. I went out ready to buy a 2002 GTS - check in hand - and backed out because at 6'3" it just didn't make sense AT ALL. Clutch position was weird and it was like a casket in there. If you are smaller then I'd go viper, but otherwise - QP is the better bet.

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Oh and FYI - I'm shopping Vettes now. Cayman wasn't too bad either - plus can get a manual which I need.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #11 leead1, Feb 20, 2012

I have always felt that way but I think times are changing. American cars have always been reliable and powerful they just could never handle like European cars. Not sure why. If I rented a Ford in Europe and it would drive okay while the same model in America would not be so good.

The American car companies may have awaken. The newer Corvettes, 2008 or newer are stunning and the ZR1 is magnificent and better than a 458 to drive. but Corvettes are dated in appearance but that is supposed to change soon.

I love my Ford GT sadly they do not make it anymore. My 2012 Shelby Mustang is a great drive as is the Ariel Atom 4 which is an English design but is made in Alton Virginia also. The new CTS V Cadillacs are very good drives

The only sad element left is the technology is still ancient, solid axle on the Mustang and push rod engines. No varable valve lift or timing. None of the American cars rev high. There are some exceptions on American cars to my statement. When you drive these "ancient designs" they are so well done you cannot tell!

Lee

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    IMO, the Corvette styling, from C5 generation on, has been more exciting in appearance, than its front engined competition from Maranello. A C5 generation Corvette's lithe and low sporty shape, makes the 550/575 look bulky and a bit bloated if parked next to each other. Same for a C6 and the 599.

The C5 and C6 Corvette racing program, has had a priority on keeping the road/race cars as similar as possible. Something outdone perhaps only by Porsche with their RSR's. Rules have and are changing a lot, so the racing 'Vette is no longer quite as similar, the C7 'Vette will have to be substantially different to keep the road/race cars similar.

The original Viper is a 100% pure raw to heck with luxery brute machine. Its not for everyone, the newer ones, are a little more "luxurious", with a little more human comfort designed into them, heaveir, bigger, and have more power, still, not for everyone, but when the Viper came out, US automakers were making mostly bland boring cars, it was pretty refreshing to have it hit the market.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Have you checked insurance rates?

How are parts costs on a Viper c/w a QP? I suspect the QP will run you more in maintenance.

Just be prepared for expensive things to break on a 10 y/o car...

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Some of your statment I agree others not so much. The base line Ferrari the 458 is better looking in my view. Bur you would point out the big difference in price tag.

Corvette racing the last time I looked into it was doing very well and it shows in the cars they sell.

Your viper statment is true but I would add that it was a bad chasis design. The ZR1 and Z06 vettes handle better and have more or alot more power. I am hopefull for the new Viper. None yet at least in my area.

Good post

Lee

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I can only imagine on a old Ferrari. Your F40 was not cheap when you had it can you imagine now :)

In support of your point my 1954 Vette has been very expensive to put into a reliable drivers quality car. And that car is not considered by many (me included) to be a high value car although they have become expensive to buy as the years march on.

I get out gunned by purple haired ladies in SUVs in that car :)

Lee

16. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    Well said. The reasons why I dislike American cars are their focus on power rather than handling and dynamics, and their outdated pushrod engines. I play many driving games, and when I'm behind the wheel of an American car, say a Viper, I always spin out while turning, but thats not the case when I'm in a M3 or 911. The Ford GT and Corvette C6 are the more balanced ones as I don't spin out as easy. Mustangs are beginning to appeal to me more, with the phase out of pushrod engines being replaced by 4-valves DOHC engines

17. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Quattroporte because I don't like the look of the Viper and saying Maserati just sounds so upscale and elegant.

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    DOHC cam engines are 100 year old technology for what its worth. Build an engine that works for what your goals are, and the means do not really matter as much as the end result.

Actually, if you re-read my post, you'll see I specified an apples to apples comparison of front engined cars only. A 458 spyder is a very exciting design, and superior to the convertible offering from the Vette.

19. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Wow, what a swing. Viper was leading 7-1 this morning, and now it's down 10-17.

Thanks for all the opinions, esp. from the owners!

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I went with the Q because a) I have kids and need the backseat b) better "image" car for my profession.

That said, a '07 Honda Accord would handle a & b just as well and might allow me to get the Viper for a weekend toy. :D

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just to confirm/clarify...you're talking about ~ $35K - $40K?

22. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    QP I have seen from ~37-47 k
    Vipers from ~43-49 k

23. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I do find the Q an interesting choice if I was willing to risk the potential of a huge repair bill if something was to go boom.

That said, here are a few '05 - '08s under $30K: http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?prMx=30000&sf1Dir=DESC&prMn=0&mkId=20072&mdId=21814&rd=100000&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=ASC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Nm=miles&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&searchSource=GEO_SEARCH&pgId=2102&zc=10001

Tempting.

24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I love the Q but Id take the Viper. Viper is going to be more fun to drive and less costly to repair.

Id only take the Q over a Viper if I needed a 4 door.

25. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Too bad only the top 2 aren't scams. I'm getting sick of these people listing cars for so cheap (a lot of times it's a girls name they use), what do they have to gain?