Taylor Ham, aka "Pork Roll". Who cant live with out it! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Taylor Ham, aka "Pork Roll". Who cant live with out it!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by KENCO, Jan 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Actually it is not made from scraps like spam, here is a quote from the Taylor Provisions company.

Taylor ham, it goes on to say, is made from "select fresh pork from the shoulders of young corn-fed hogs grown in the Middle West . . . chopped for the purpose of mixing thoroughly with expertly blended spices . . . slowly and delicately sugar cured in nature's own way . . . and hickory smoked."

2. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #27 KENCO, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm gonna have to try this. Spam is good once in a great while. If you've any interest in old time football there is a great book by Colts great Art Donovan called "Fatso". In it he tells what has to be the funniest story I've ever heard about Spam. He was in the army and "stole" a case of spam because he liked it. He got caught and when questioned about what he was going to do with it he replied "eat it". The Sarge gave him a month to eat the whole case and he did. He then said he's never touched the stuff again!! Great story!!

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

1. I do, in moderation.
    2. speak for yourself

So, the online sellers of this stuff are getting filet mignon prices so I'll not be trying anytime soon but this whole discussion has propted a trip to my favorite European deli for lots of other demon charcuterie.
    Pass the butter, please.
    Oh, regarding Spam, pork shoulder and ham is what Hormel says it's made from.

5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Well well well, I learn something new every day!

Won't stop me from eating it :)

6. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #31 BubblesQuah, Feb 10, 2012
    Gave it a try this morning. Pretty tasty... Gonna need to order extra Taylor and extra cheese next time though. It's the freshly baked roll that makes it though. I love these rolls, but never even thought about having a breakfast sandwich on one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Welcome to the dark side.........................you will crave the taste endlessly!

8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So I ordered a roll and it showed up at the house just in time for breakfast this morning. I tried a piece before cooking it and I will say it has a more pronounced pork flavor than that other canned meat we've been comparing it to. It really does taste like pork roast all chopped up and pressed together.

Once cooked it does have more of a snappy flavor. Almost seems like there is some vinegar in there? Very tasty stuff even though the only "roll" I had on hand was a whole wheat burger bun.

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Thats great! I cant believe you ordered a roll, now your livin!

You'll never go back now....................

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    lol excellent! How many # roll did you get?
    Very accurate description of it's taste. It's the vinigary tang that sets it apart.
    I've never tried it "uncooked" per se but will next time I thaw a block out.
    RP freezes great. We cut up 3 or 5 lb rolls into ~1/2# chunks that fit into vacuum bags so it's easy to defrost 2-3 meals worth at a time.

BTW bubbles - the PR on that sandwich (good looking roll!) is sliced pretty thin for my tastes. I prefer ~3/8" thick slices, like Ken's pic in the 1st post, or when I'm feeling crazy cut at an angle so you have 1/2 thin and crispy, 1/2 thicker and juicier in each piece.

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it's a 3lb roll. I was going to ask if it freezes well. That's what I was thinking of doing too. I have a vacuum machine so will cut it up into individual serving sizes and freeze.

I need to find a different roll too though. It was good but the rolls you guys are posting pics of look even better!!

12. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I freeze mine all the time. I buy the pre-sliced, freeze, then when I need I thaw it in the microwave and then separate and pan fry.

13. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #38 KENCO, Feb 15, 2012
    Try it on a bagel if you cant find the correct roll.

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Last time I was in NJ made a PR run at Shop-Rite and noticed that by weight, the little boxes of pre-sliced (with about 1/4lb of thick slices vacuum packed inside) already was about the same cost as the big rolls. Bought a couple, but still prefer the larger rolls since you can then decide how thick to cut it.

The bagel sammy looks great - english muffins are another good alternative to the classic hard roll.

15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    taylor ham is a wonderful meat created by taking 100% pork and 100% awesome, and mashing them together (with some spices)

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    high on the list?

my list goes pretty much like this

1. Taylor Ham
    2. Filet Mignon
    3. Other

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    This is so true. Sometimes I would rather have Taylor ham than a steak.............sounds crazy but.............It's that good!

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #43 KENCO, Feb 15, 2012
    Just a quick recipe, there are variations:

TAYLOR HAM, CHEESE AND EGG SANDWICH

1 Kaiser roll sliced in half lightly buttered or "butter and fry roll to a golden brown, this is my favorite"
    1 - 2 eggs "your choice on how many"
    2 - 3 slices of Taylor Ham "your choice on how many" with four cuts around the edge so the slice doesn’t curl up when cooked
    2 slices yellow American cheese.

On a griddle heated to medium high cook Taylor ham slices until brown around the edges.
    Cook the eggs so they are over hard (break yolks) slightly browned
    Place a slice of American cheese on each half of the Kaiser roll.
    When Taylor ham is done place slices on bottom half of Kaiser roll on top of cheese slice.
    Place fried eggs on top of that. Cover with top half of Kaiser roll.
    Slice in half.
    Eat.

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The above is almost my exact recipe, I usually only make 3 cuts to limit curling. I also like to add a little Hot sauce to add some kick. I have been eating "Pork Roll" my whole life, I have even just eaten it alone with cheese when I don't have any bread around. It is a great food, but I am also a fan of Scrapple!

Erik

20. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    damn...i'm on a diet. this thread is killing me.

21. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #46 KENCO, Feb 15, 2012
    Stephanie likes this.
  22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1 on the scrapple. When my parents drive out to visit, or I go back to NJ, I always stock up on at least 3lbs of each :)

Only change to the recipe above - I like my fried eggs over easy. Slightly running yolk and pork roll....mmmmmmmmmmm.......

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was cutting it up tonight to portion and freeze and made just a sandwich (with no eggs). I added some Frank's red-hot sauce. Toasted bun, pork roll, american cheese, some mayo and liberal application of Frank's. That was tasty!!

24. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Ok, 6 hours and I'm going to try again.

Double Taylor, double cheese, fried egg, and butter and grill my poppy seed kaiser roll.

:D

25. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Like Christmas when you look forward to Taylor Ham.

Enjoy!