Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Julio Batista, Feb 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage Ferrari

May 1, 2011
    #276 Vintage Ferrari, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my best friend has a fake 350 just like yours, I have teased him so much over 10 years he wants to sell and get a real one. :)

at all the local shows there are Cobra replicas and they will enter the car as a 60's something. you should see them cringe when I bust their balls about why they identified it as a 1960 something and not a 1993 5.0 or whatever. :D

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Well actually, I haven't done anything. Although I do have several non-Ferrari parts on my 355, but that's my business and no one cares about that mass-produced crap anyway. And no one seems to mind the 400 series slipping into a realm of dilapidation, nor does anyone plan to spend big money restoring one. I wonder why that is. I always liked them.

Of course I haven't driven a GTE. I've never even seen one in person. Like I said, I don't go to a bunch of shows or big meets. That's not really my thing. I am sure they are wonderful. I am sure they sound great. I am sure they are not as nimble or racy as a GTO. I am sure that I would rather have a GTO, as I am more of a race car kinda guy.

My point is simply that what somebody does to their car is their business. As long as they don't lie about it.

I am clearly guilty of not caring as much about the original preservation of every Ferrari ever made. Sorry. They are very special cars, but at the end of the day to me they are still just cars.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Furthermore, the changes are really only to make it visually deceptive. I suspect that the driving experience between a GTO and a GTE isn't as much as you might think, and the driving experience between a fake, GTE-based GTO is probably even close to the GTE.

So, if the driving experience is basically the same, isn't the only point to make onlookers think it's a GTO?

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Come on Jim. Some of us have heart conditions here! :)

What a gorgeous car. You must be very proud of what you've accomplished.

And don't tell me the 458 wan't influenced by it. If it wasn't, it's the biggest coincidence ever.

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    No offense , but the Pantera guys don't have any reaction either :) I do give credit to the Cobra builders in that the don't try to fool anyone, they are up front about it, unlike what happens in Europe.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This is what replica builders are made of: they have no idea what a GTO really is, they have no idea what a 2+2 really is, but at the end of the day they have a replica they think looks and drives like a real thing.

In real life the shortened GTE chassis no longer supported by the steel unibody flexes all over (some have broken because they were butt welded together!) and the rear chassis tubes forces driver seat so close to steering wheel that only a midget will fit in. But the owner is still convinced that he looks like a millionaire and that the ugly mongrel is fully equal to a real GTO. Very soon the "GTO" is forgotten into a garage or offered for sale somewhere.

Many people do not understand that during SWB production Ferrari built 4 different chassis types for various 250GTs: 539 (SWB), 508F (S.2 Cabrio), 508E (2+2) and 539U (Lusso) and that one cannot be changed to replicate another without complications. This is why all serious fakes are built using a scratch built chassis - and killing original cars in order to build a track car is complete waste of wonderful cars. No "GTO" built using a 2+2 frame will ever be able to turn out a lap time anywhere near a real GTO, that's how close they come.

Go buy a Porsche and leave Ferrari for those who know what they are good for.

8. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    Of course, ultimately any owner has the right to do what they want with their own Ferrari, and there is not a lot the rest of us can do about it. However, many see certain cars, not just vintage Ferrari's, as works of art, art which might define a time period, or that represents an important or influential design, or an evolution in the history of the automobile, or like a beautiful painting, it might appeal to the collector in a very emotional way. Art collectors who pay 6, 7, or 8 figures for paintings, which are just canvas and paint, or collectors who pay 6, 7, or 8 figures for cars (just cars) are passionate about their beliefs--more power to them! So, the destruction of a rare (opinion) piece of automobile art, where only a limited number exist, to create a copy of another piece of rare auto art, that already exists, but costs too much to own, is something that they get passionate about protesting. In the end, people are going to continue dismantling the less valuable 250 GTE's, 330 America's, etc., and people are going to continue to have opinions about it. Ultimately the question seems to be, if a chat site, dedicated to Ferrari, should so prominently display replicas, or the discussion of replicas/recreations, in the Vintage section, and that appears to be up to FChat and Rob Lay. However, in my opinion, it has been very healthy to debate the whole recreation/replica/fake business here in the Vintage section, where likely exist the strongest opinions on both sides of the issue.

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

To me it is a genuine 250 GT SWB with an original (as in: not mimic-ing anything else) one off body. I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact, those are often the more interesting (not necessarily beautiful) Ferrari´s.

I think no one, not even mr Batista or mr Massini, would argue that it would be a disgrace to discuss s/n 2891 in the Vintage-section.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I couldn´t disgree more. You obviously have no interest in vintage Ferrari´s whatsoever. People like you should be discouraged from ever purchasing one. Seller beware!

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    THANK YOU SIR.
    This is exactly what I always felt.
    The vintage section is the wrong section.

Marcel Massini

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #287 Marcel Massini, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Chassis numbers:
    2819 GT was born as a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti and became the famous Breadvan.
    2891 GT is a genuine 250 GT SWB California Spider Scaglietti. Still is the same today.

Marcel Massini

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    but still both have a place in the Vintage-section, no?

14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    +1. And if a Ferrari is "just a car", why not buy a Peugeot, a VW or a Mazda to name a few? They are cheeper to convert. In the USA they call that Custom. In Europe we call that Tuning. Leave the Ferrari to the real connoisseurs.

15. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #290 Julio Batista, Feb 13, 2012
    My God what have I done...

Thirteen pages of posts by Fchatters and the owner of this site, angry at me and at each other, a request for my banning, nasty personal attacks, and a general disaster.

Why? Because of the offensiveness and clumsiness of my OP. Sometimes, even at my age, I speak before thinking. In this case I wrote before thinking, and the result has been dismal. Here is what I thought, and wrote publicly to Mr. Lay, shortly after writing the OP:

Mr. Lay has evidenly not accepted my apologies, and continues to berate and attack me for my disastrous, offensive, and ignorant OP; perhaps my apologies are insufficient, or inadequate, or perhaps my original offense is simply unforgivable. In any case, I have nobody but myself to blame.

I will however (for the last time) repeat my apologies, and I extend them to all other members of this community that might have been offended by my words.

Mr. Lay has also called me ignorant. He is entirely right: I was ignorant of the section rules that allow posts about replicas built on an original chassis of another car in the vintage section, I was unaware that simply flagging posts of "absolute" replicas was sufficient to have them removed, and I was especially ignorant that the vintage section's official sponsor was allowed to advertise on Fchat a Ferrari, a Mercedes, a Trabant, or even a Ferrari replica built on a destroyed GTE, with such advertising appearing as the top post of the vintage section during many days. So it appears that my initial rant was baseless as well as offensive.

There is now little that I can or should contribute after such a poor start. Others, who unlike myself are all extraordinary contributors to this section (Marcel, BryanP, Doug Nye, Kare, GTE, Swift, particularly DMnstuff who nailed the problem and shed some interesting light on the sponsor's practices, etc...) have expressed the issues much, much better than I have. I thank them for their support, and will say no more about the subject.

Where do I go from here?

1. I would change the OP title if I could.

2. I would change every word of the OP if I could.

3. I realize now that I very much dislike Mr. Lay's section rules, as well as their effect. A replica advertisement heading the vintage section is for me akin to seeing a replica participating in the Mille Miglia thanks to a rule change (the real one, not the tribute). It would a motive for sadness and a feeling of betrayal. You might say that the Mille Miglia and Fchat have little in common with each other? - Yes. Fchat is (was?) much, much more valuable and important to the Vintage Ferrari community than the MM. Its sullying is therefore even more frustrating.

I also realize that Mr. Lay's extra tolerance for replicas built on the chassis of a destroyed Ferrari is diametrically opposed to my own opinion; I think a GTO built on a Datsun is a silly and amusing toy; a GTO built on a GTE is a moral crime.

4. My apologies are extensive to the whole community; but they certainly don't apply to the section's sponsor (he is not part of the community, and has been put on "ignore"), whose style, threats, business model, and lack of respect for the vintage Ferrari culture and tradition make him in my opinion unsuited to the sponsorship of this section. The sponsor's strident attempts to ban me, which might perhaps be succesful (he is the official sponsor, after all) are another motive for concern.

Imagine that I am at Brescia, and that there is a fake Barchetta leading the way to the Mille Miglia departure: Well, a fake GTO being advertised for sale heading the vintage section in Fchat has the same effect on me.

I could start swearing, yelling, and screaming, thereby making a fool of myself. That is what I stupidly did here.

I could also just shut up and not participate, which I understand is the correct course of action when one doesn't like something. That is what I am doing now, before the official sponsor succeeds in having me banned.

Thank God there are still people who consider Ferraris more than a business, and who feel that such unique beauty and culture should be preserved and respected for its own sake. People who know that there is much, much more to the Ferrari world than the multimillion GTO's or Californias, that driving a well sorted out PF will always be more rewarding than driving a fake GTO, and who would never accept a replica at a Ferrari event (or its advertising heading a site dedicated to vintage Ferraris). Many of them are Fchatters.

Whoever wants to reach me will find me with them, if they are so kind as to keep accepting me.

16. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    If an apology was due, this one certainly seems to be sincere and cover all bases.
    If nothing else the original post certainly elicited a lively discussion.
    I find Julio's participation on this site to be of great value and think it's probably time to put this all to rest.

TomB

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1. Julio leaving, either on his own or via a ban, would be a loss to FChat.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Julio My Friend

I admire your passion.

I really do.

Your apology is heartfelt and more than accepted by me.

I'm glad that you feel that threads that discuss the things I mentioned should still be discussed in Vintage.

I understand your, Bryan's, Marcel's and other's feelings about turning 250 GTE's into "250 GTO's" Obviously I feel different about The Count turning a SWB into the Breadvan or me turning an Enzo into Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina but I accept that other's don't.

I still don't, in light of his involvement in the Festival of Speed and The Goodwood Revival both of which allow pure replicas to participate, understand your putting Doug's name in the same sentence as Marcel , Bryan and other's in this matter.

Best Personal Regards

Jim

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok, now Julio has issued a heartfelt apology. Sounds a little edgy still, but I think he's genuinely sorry for the tone, but not for the can of worms he opened.

can we get past the exact wording of his first post and continue the discussion about what we'd like to see here for content without continued attacks on him and others?

Oh, and Julio, I've never seen Rob ban a member here because a sponsor asked him to. he's not that kind of guy.

I think we're on the right track, talking about the issue of replica, rebody, etc, and what does or doesn't belong here.

Maybe a fresh thread with a poll would help?

Dunno,

d

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #295 Julio Batista, Feb 13, 2012
    Perfectly said.

And now we know (in my case too late) how the rightful owner of the site feels, as evidenced by his replies in this thread and the rules he has published.

When in the future I hit the Fchat button on my browser (if it was a physical button, it would be completely worn out...), I might well find an ad for one of my destroyed previous cars (or one of my late father's cars), heading the vintage section, tarted up in a pathetic Scaglietti wannabe "recreation" body, with a seller (sorry, a sponsor) aggressively whining that "I didn't do it, I just sell it", and misrepresenting it as a real GTO until they receive a complaint.

And such a scenario would be entirely respectful of Mr. Lay's forum rules, and in tune with a recent event.

No thank you.

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #296 Julio Batista, Feb 13, 2012
    Thank you. That is indeed how I feel.

I don't know. In many years I had never seen Rob authorizing the advertisement of a replica on Fchat, and I never thought he could do such a thing, so I might be surprised twice.

The mere thought of the possibility of being banned from Fchat due to the lobbying of a sponsor who is a seller of replicas is enough to make me want to dissapear very, very quick. I am not sure I belong here.

The Blizzard of supporting Emails I am receiving from members who share my concern indicates that I might not be entirely crazy in my dissatisfaction with the present rules.

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm ok with replicas being advertised. I'm not ok with them being here. I think that's the way to spin this. Rob's sponsors are free to sell whatever they want, right? They pay for the privilege, but what they're selling should land in an appropriate sub-forum, not just in the one they pay for.
    NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Remember, I spent quite some time as a moderator here, and know Rob pretty well. He's not that kind of guy, just isn't. I don't always agree with him, but I've never seen him bow to an unreasonable demand from a sponsor or member here.

It just doesn't work that way.

Now, if you piss him off personally, all bets are off. :D

D

23. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Well I have without question shown my ignorance and have nothing to say in response. Except that sometimes you don't get at the truth without a little friendly discussion...

24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think some of my comments imply that I don't understand the passion for Ferrari. I actually do. And this section of Fchat has it in highest concentration. It also is frequented by a special group of people. But this thread has probably by accident brought out some deep set emotions, and I don't want to lose sight of the fact that people and relationships are more important than any car.

I may not know jack about old Ferraris, but I know a bit about relationships. In any good relationship, you have to know how to have a healthy fight.

25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think you're entitled to your opinion, PERIOD.

Others may disagree.

If you want to turn a GTE into a GTO, go for it, others have.

for those who think this sheer lunacy, I say, nay nay. It's simply a matter of personal taste.

No one seemed to mind when Jim G. turned an Enzo into P4/5, and no one it going to turn a GTO into a GTE. But make something more interesting than the original car, hell, why not, so long as the original car is fairly pedestrian. (by pedestrian I mean either relatively common or marginally valuable.)

It's about perspective. Want the GTEs to survive? Then buy one, restore it for the love of the car and be inside out on it FOREVER. If that's not your idea of heaven, then don't. But if someone else wants to take an unloved GTE and make it into a well made replica GTO, that is certainly their choice to do.

You say you don't want that to happen? Well, tough. There are tons of Ford Mustangs that are not GT350 or GT500's that are now as mustang GT replicas. Maybe the Mustang purists don't like that, either.

Would I do that to a Ferrari? Nope, I would not. Would I buy one that has had it already done? Maybe. It would be situational, and I would for sure make it clear that the car is a replica from the start to anyone who asked.

Would I do it to a Mustang? HELL YES!!! the GT500 replica would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive, and there are a TON of '65 fastbacks out there begging to be rebuilt into something.

Interesting discussion, eh?

D