Bugatti Royale (1 of 6 made) | FerrariChat

Bugatti Royale (1 of 6 made)

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by AxerJk, Feb 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    This car was a REAL treat to see. Ettore Bugatti intended to built 25 and sell them to royalty. Unfortunately, $43,000 was too much to ask for even royalty during the Great Depression. Only 6 were built, and 3 of those 6 were sold to customers.

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czynIrpm9U[/ame]

2. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Work of art! I wonder how it drives.

3. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is, indeed, a treat to witness this car in person. I had the pleasure of viewing it at Meadowbrook back in 2007.

It has an interesting history as well. It is the 2nd of the 6 built, and was rescued from a New York junkyard in 1943

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Arguably the best looking of the six -

5. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #5 camchain, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Yep! From what I've read, it was purchased from the junkyard for $400. It was originally black.

I read about that one too, I would have killed to see all of those together!

Chris

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    "The Summit Meeting", I have that poster hanging in my entry.

camchain likes this.
  8. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If I have my facts right, there were only 5 built originally and the 6th was built after the war from original parts at the factory.

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    EVO magazine drove one in Japan a while back. It seemed to drive fine, with some limitations--as you'd expect of a pre-war car. Price paid was $10 million for that one, if I remember correctly.

10. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    There were (are) six all built in period. 41100, 41111, 41121, 41131, 41141 and 41150.

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I saw 5 of them in the late 70-ies, scattered over Europe and the USA. Unfortunately Bill Harrah had lent-out one to an exhibition in Europe when I visited the collection in Reno, and I never had a chance to go see that one after.

Some are beautiful, others less, but they are definitely impressive.

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Great thread, the Royale is one of my all time favorite cars since I was a kid.

lineaTesoro likes this.
  13. beachmk4

beachmk4 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Florida
    It was one of my favorites as well. Back in the 60s I lived close to the Henry Ford museum and we were active in the AACA. Les Henry was the curator of the auto collection at that time and I had the priveledge to ride around Dearborn in that beautiful automobile with Les at the wheel. I agree that it is the very best looking of the group. it still thrills me to think about that ride.

14. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    You got to ride in that car?? That is unbelievable, hats off to you!

Chris

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. beachmk4

beachmk4 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Florida
    It was a long time ago. 1969 to be exact. While we were driving Mr. Henry told me several interesting facts about the car. The crank was machined from a one ton solid billet of steel. As I recall the crank floats in 16 bearings! Also that Bugatti built a number of these engines and that several were used to power rail cars during WW2. Wouldn't that be something to find! Again as I recall the car somewhat floated down the road. It was huge, with an extremely long wheel base. It also was not the fastest accelerating car as it weights as much as a big truck. The Dr. that found it in the junk yard in N.J. bought it for a reputed $500.00, the scrap value plus a little. He then did a restoration and donated it to the museum soon after.

I saw the car on a visit to the museum fifteen years ago when I took my Florida native wife "up north" for a visit to some family members. The car was as big as a little boy remembers. At that time I believe Randy Mason was the curator and I was told the car had been touched up for a couple of big shows including Pebble. Randy was Mr Henry's assistant when I was young. I don't know if he is still around but he had a really great Chrysler (32 I think) that he used to tour with. Mr Henry had a big personal collection of Caddies, pre 35 with several 12s in the group.

I ran in to him here in Florida a number of years ago as he moved in to our area. Interestingly he had sold the Cadillacs and started playing with, of all things, Nash Metropolitans! What a change!

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is that the one in The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn? If so, I've seen it too :)
    That's an AWESOME museum.

If it wasn't there, where is this one located?

Jedi

18. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Yep, that's the Henry Ford Museum!

Chris

19. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Freeman: I was there too-remember that they were parked in a pinwheel pattern in front of the lodge?
    Stunning
    Malcolm

20. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There were actually seven built, the first chassis 41100 was destroyed in an accident (tree) while "wearing" a Weymann body, (the 4th one on this chassis, looked very similar to the Kellner). It was deemed beyond repair so a new chassis was built but kept the same number and the famous Coupé Napoléon body was fitted on it.

21. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Ditto. Dad won BoS that year in #57735.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow Peter, I knew your dad had a Bug but I didn't know it won at Pebble! :D

23. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #23 camchain, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Yep! Dad is on the left, and mom (white sweater) is on the right. I was en route from Laguna Seca to the Lodge...

camchain likes this.
  25. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Actually, we had two- the pretty one (IMO), a Stelvio cabriolet (#57192) was sold in favor of the less-pretty one (#57735).

Life is full of trade-off's...