Bought a Healy | FerrariChat

Bought a Healy

Discussion in 'British' started by leead1, Jan 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I bought a blue resto mod and mecum auction.

This is the fourth car I have bought at Mecum and all have needed a fair amount of work to make right. This car follows the same trajectory :)

The car has been changed by putting a 350 GM crate motor in it. It has lake pipes that I think are straight with no mufflers. It sure is loud.

I can live with it has no real brakes I can fix that. I am surprised that it has no real power.
    It has some torque but not the cobra kind of power. Which is what I was expecting. The kit cobra I owned years ago was breath taking in performance 642 hp with 2200 lbs give ot take.

I have to decide whether I want to put it back original at least with the proper motor or pull more power out of the gm power plant. That may be the cheapest.

I will goal my self to try for 600 hp or maybe more.

Thoughts on what to do and how are appreciated.

Lee

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Is it a 3000 body style? If so junk that lump V8 and install another I6 but make it a 2JZGTTE. You will feel as if your Weight Watchers is paying off and have more power etc etc etc, Oy vey !!!

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #3 leead1, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    GREG I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SORRY

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "ANOTHER 16" AND "2JZTTE" I am not familar with those terms.

And yes it is a Healy 3000. Not a kit

Regards

Lee

4. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    It sounds like it is an Austin-Healey 3000.

A 2JZGTTE is a Toyota Supra inline 6 cylinder twin turbo motor.

Why you'd want to swap one of those over a Chevy 505 hp LS7 is beyond me but that's apparently the idea. LS7 has cubic inches, light weight, compact, cheap hp, reliable... vs. highly strung twin turbo Toyota motor that came with 300 hp stock. I would go on debating turbo vs. big displacement pushrod, but this is FerrariChat.

Have fun with the Austin-Healey.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    John thank you for your post. Thr 350 CI rngine seems very low power to me. I thought the healy with a GM power plant would be a beast. It is super vharged in addition.

My shop is going to get the car tomorrow to see what can be done to improve performance. maybe I am just spoiled because of my other cars.

THANKS AGAIN

Lee

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lee,
    Yes it is hard to decipher I6 from '16' so I apologize. The 2JZGTTE is the twin turbo engine from the Supra and is one of the greatest stock engines ever produced but that is neither here nor there. I absolutely love 3000's and my intent was that you could replace and store the original engine and still keep the essence of the car with another 'inline' six cylinder engine, heck a 2JZGE would rock that chassis.

I guess what I am trying to say is anything other than an inline 6 cylinder would not only make the car a bastard and will effect the handling of such a sweet chassis and classic car. I should have bought the one I found back in the early '90s for the measely sum of $3K and now they are $30K+!!

If I wanted a car/chassis comparable to a AH3000 and with a V8 I would look for a Sunbeam Tiger aka 'Get Smart'!

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    :)

Lee

8. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    The Healy is a great car. My parents had a 3000 MkIII when we moved to SC. It needed some body work for rust issues and they were thinking of selling it. They asked me if I wanted it (I was 14 at the time), but I declined, wanting a cool car (like a Fiero).

One of my biggest automotive regrets now. The local person they sold it to did a nice restoration on it and sold it for a significant profit. I'd love to have it back in the stable now but have no idea how to find it since it was a pre-17-digit VIN (and I don't have the chassis number at that).

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Looking forward to some pics Lee!

10. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    nice project, definitely post up some pics.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Car is at the shop. Ehen I get the car back I will post pictures.

Lee

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If the car and shop is local honey those pics are the best!

Heck you should have the shop documenting everything for you?

13. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The 350 GM might be a 70's smog motor with 8:1 compression. That would account for the lacking performance. If so, you could get a set of heads with small (50cc) combustion chambers, a more aggressive cam and a good intake manifold and 500hp is easily within reach.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I do not know how to post pictures of the Healy 300 or the other cars. Can someone do this for me?

If they private note to me with thier email I can send the pictures. There are 14 cars.

Thank you for helping.

Lee

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lee,
    It is really very simple. When you are making a reply scale down and look for 'attachments', click on attachments, and then a screen will appear that has 4 options and then just click on the first one to download from your computer.

Or you could just email a few to me at [email protected] and I will post them for you.

Gregg

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee

Greg thank you for your offer. MY wife has sent the pictures of the cars I currently own to you. There are 14 cars and 14 pictures. Thank you so much :)

The old bald guy with the white hair fringe is me :)

Pls confirm you recieved all of the pictures. My wife sent the ptictures in small packets of cars otherwise the system kicks them back

Regards

Lee

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #17 texasmr2, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lee,
    I got the pics and will post them in the appropriate sections/forums for each make and or model. Quick question do you own all of them and if so I'm one envious guy. Your Healey is a mini-Cobra, fantastic!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #18 leead1, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    hELLO GREG

Tes I own all of the cars. it is my hobby. I just love cars and car people.

I was very lucky to work with great people during my working years.

Post as you think is best. :)

Thanks again Greg

Regards

Lee

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It is always my pleasure Lee if I can help someone out in any form or fashion. Now we must discuss via pm what I get too drive lol!!! j/k

Thanks for sharing with me and the forum as there are alot of good people here who share our passion.

Thanks,
    Gregg