A little comedy for a change (VIN 24221) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A little comedy for a change (VIN 24221)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Jan 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    The thing is with cars like this, once you buy a new battery, some belts and hoses, fluids, bolt in the rebuilt trans and start it and drive it, that is when you will discover what work the motor needs, that the electrical system isn't charging, which gauges aren't working, the climate control doesn't work properly, which electric windows aren't going up and down, that it doesn't steer straight (because it needs work at all four corners) and that the brakes have issues.

But that first ride sure is fun when you get something like this on the road again, it's just that joy is tempered by creating your new to do list and tabulating an estimate of the costs in time and money in your head once you park it.

Oh yeah, don't forget new tires as cars like this usually have ancient rubber on them, even if it looks good it's usually aged out. We should all know better than to purchase a car like this but the infectious temptation of a once seductive roach is hard to resist. : ) PB

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Copyright Brettski 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012....

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ha!

4. F1111

F1111 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    hey, he did admit in his Euro 400 club interview that "predicting the future" isn't his speciality, so take it easy.

5. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    pesos??

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    nice !

here i am waving the 400 'flag' all day long, year after year and this is the support i get in my own 'backyard' !?!

i don't need this ****...

; )

Eric, it doesn't surprise me in the least that when you decided to 'make some space', the 365 didn't 'lose it's seat' when the 'music' stopped...good call.

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey Brett-

You forget-

I'm already "All In"... I hope you're right.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wife's call, she wanted it.

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    well, i'm glad she's the decision maker then...i didn't realize you had fallen so 'out' of love with Ferrari's !

i can understand about the '8' and my 308 days really seem to be in my rearview mirror too, but the 365 ???

wow, i'm surprised.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep, I'm done. Going to start cleaning out bookcases full of magazines, books, etc... It ran its course, time to move on.

11. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Eric, what gives? I've always viewed you as a proud and die hard supporter of the vintage/classic Ferrari cause, not to mention a fellow U.S.-based 365 gt4 owner (of which we are a select few). I remember talking with you briefly in the past about car storage, with a necessary lift, etc. I sincerely hope that nothing drastic has happend to bring you to such a crossroads.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I became a dad, the relentless pursuit of stuff ended. My finances have never been better, I just get zero out of spending money on things anymore. Priorities changed.

13. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    #38 GreggG, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    I can definately relate to the divided attention and staggering loss of personal time created by the arrival of newborns. Regardless, it seems like your wife has made the right choice by keeping the 365 for "herself." You won't be out of the game entirely, but hopefully just enough to accomplish whatever reprioritization you feel is necessary. Here's hoping that your son doesn't get too PO'd at you later on for selling the 3X8, which could have been his ride while you and the wife cruise in the GT4. : )

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I hope that we're out hiking somewhere away from anyone so that he doesn't even notice...

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #40 brettski, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    oh ya, as he approaches 16 he'll be much happier in hiking boots than in a Ferrari...i'm sure his friends will feel the same way.

kidding aside Eric, that was a really, really sombre post...Jesus.

we all either have young kids or had young kids and the beauty of this passion is that you can share with them...and they love it.

i have a 30 month old daughter who absolutely loves the shop and the cars.

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My wife came from an incredibly wealthy family, but they were so low key that she didn't even realize they had money until she was in university. I've realized that having all of this stuff around isn't going to help form his own opinions.

I've been amazed at the hate and the envy that the cars create among people I don't even know. This **** just isn't worth it to me. Like I said, I'm fine, but just reached the limit with it.

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i understand.

i've often wondered, if things continued to get worse economically, would there start to be a real back lash from those that were really suffering directed at those that weren't...those driving Ferrari's, for example.

i always cherished the subtlety of my 400...and the reactions that it did draw were always of appreciation and respect...
    moving from my first red 308, that i bought at 26, to my black 400, bought 4 years later, was a really, really pleasant surprise that way.

my TR had to be black for that reason...while it's still over the top, it really doesn't scream to be noticed...and even that one has been shipped to the island in BC for a friend to use out there.
    like you, i'm a dad and having a Ferrari that i can't use with my wife and daughter is completly useless to me...2+2's only for us.

i have a feeling that you'll ultimately be very glad that your wife made 'the call' that she did.

18. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Brettski: "i have a feeling that you'll ultimately be very glad that your wife made 'the call' that she did."

It's clear that Eric has made up his mind and I don't want to risk showing any disrespect by appearing to be at odds with his decision. That said, I support Brett's quote and hope that it rings true. All the best, Eric.

19. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #44 Ashman, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, sorry to hear that your cars have evoked such negative reactions from people. I get a lot of thumbs up from people when I've got the Ferrari out on the road or at a cars and coffee type event and, when I towed my race car on an open trailer, lots of smiles and thumbs up signs from cars on the road as well.

While I can understand your changing priorities, particularly with so many cars and the time pressures of actually using them, I found that my daughters liked to participate in the fun cars when they were younger and they had no idea whatsoever that there was any social opinion about them, they just enjoyed riding in them and being a part of the experience on the road or at the race track.

Of course, as they got older, we were careful to make sure they understand the proper place for those toys. Also, they developed their own interests and activities and so their schedule, particularly now that they are in high school, has become my schedule. No longer is it possible to just bundle them up and take them away for a long weekend at the race track because they have their own things to do. That is why I sold the race car a couple of years ago.

Good luck with the sales and glad that you are keeping one (the best) of them!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Maybe, but I'm really trying to distance myself from the trapping of things. But to put in perspective, she likes her Grand Cherokee more than the Ferrari.

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You may see the thumbs up, but I've been called several different names that would make a sailor blush driving around. For some reason, the black Volvo wagon gets none of this (and is faster than anything I'm selling...).

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Exactly why I got a 400, the envy side of my head said Boxer, the reality/fly under the radar said 400gt

Its gotta be a girl/jeep thing, my wife loves her Wrangler over the F-car, her cousin loves the G. cherokee over her M-car.

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    oh ya...it sounds like the 'bloom is off the rose'...certainly time to sell in that case, because they are definitely 'trappings'...lots of us are slaves to our Ferrari's.

again, i'm glad to hear that you're keeping the 365, but i admit, it would have been very interesting to see what it would have sold for...so, so few out there.

since you clearly thought about selling all three, did you have a listing price mind before you opted to keep it ?

no harm in sharing that now, is there ? if there is, just tell me to mind my own goddam business...and i'll understand.

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    $65k. Wife said that wasn't enough.

25. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    interesting Bruce...and although i enjoyed the experience of driving a BB 512, i simply could not have one...in the same way i could not drive a 360 or, God forbid, a Countach or Diablo...
    in the case of the Lambo's, i would feel like an absolute tool of the highest order stepping out of something like that...i could just never do it.

naturally i don't feel quite the same way about the BB as i do about the Lambo's and if it was Silver, well, i might have in the past...
    but, somewhat like you Eric, it's just not appealing to me anymore as a car for myself.

but it's interesting, in the spring of this year i was looking for a BB for a good friend and i posted that in the Boxer forum...following that, i was bombarded, and i mean bombarded, with BB's for sale...
    i stopped counting at 20 different BB's that i was offered...and many of the sellers, well known 'Chatters, were very, very eager to get out of there cars...there was clear desparation and many of the guys were flat out aggressive.

as it turned out, after many talks, we decided to just send my buddy my TR to use...it just made the most sense.

my point is that, like Eric, i think the world has already changed in a sense...and i wouldn't want to be selling a BB right now, because the competition is plentiful.

at 25 though, i wanted a Silver BB512 pretty bad...