So... Who's out DRIVING?? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

So... Who's out DRIVING??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Apr 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #152 Ashman, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    i took out my two 6 cylinder xke's - so does that qualify as a 12 cylinder drive?

4. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL, no, but the XKEs make up for any points that were lost on the cylinder shortage!

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    If you drove both E-types at same time then it is as good as a V-12.
    Ken

6. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately the snow storm this past weekend (January 21) ended my string of weekends taking the 400i out for some exercise.

However we received some warm weather the past couple of days and a good, soaking rainstorm yesterday and last night that got rid of all the snow and maybe all of the salt that was on the roads.

If the roads stay dry and salt free I'm looking forward to being back on the road again soon!

7. mistercarguy

mistercarguy Karting

Aug 2, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dom Miliano
    I have been busy with assignments from the editor (rare - usually I come up with my own ideas). I owe Aaron (editor) a call. I'll summarize your pitch and see what he says.

BTW - issue 116 has the Ken Battle car piece plus a 2+2 article on Prince Bernard's Ferrari.

I'll let you know what he says when I get feedback. He is editing a 288 GTO article I wrote (had a ride in one and I drove another!) And the article will have a side bar on driving another Group B car (you can guess which one - Ja Vol!)

8. hoverland

hoverland Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald Ø
    #158 hoverland, Jan 29, 2012
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wow, you guys out driving make sad :(
    It was -54f this morning. This January has been one of the coldest on record (they started keeping records in 1904). Our average temperature so far for the month is -28f. So much for global warming. My car is going to be put away for at least three more months.

10. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow!
    I grew up in Minnesota but it only got to -35 F there.
    I know for sure Volks Wagens left outside for more than 4 hours will not start at those temps no matter what the VW ads said.
    But look on the bright side, you'll be out crusing around with the windows down when it warms up all the way to -10 F.
    Warmer is relative,
    Greg

11. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Harald, isn't there any snow in your part of Norway these days as it seems? And no salt on the roads eating up your poor cars undercoating ;-)

12. hoverland

hoverland Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald Ø
    #162 hoverland, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    I live on the southwest coast where we may have several seasons in a week (or day for that matter), but right now as you see -no snow and -5 Celsius (equal to 23F.)
    Ak Jim -I do apologize, for writing "Ice cold" -you do have the real Ice cold weather!!!!! WOW !!!
    (In my defense though -there is a strong breeze making -5C feel pretty cold -at least for chickens like me).

Regretfully they salt the roads quite heavily here, but when weather is good and roads are all dry I cannot resist getting a dose V12 sound :)

Harald

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I've just taken my 400i out for an hour. Started first time after about a month in the garage!

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'll be joining you guys in about 3.5 months. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :)

15. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    After a week off for the one snowstorm of 2012 so far, I was back on the road again this past weekend.

So far the weather pattern is dry and mild this winter. Fingers crossed that it stays that way everywhere south of the ski areas!

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No snow and dry roads here- Had the 355 out over the weekend- took the 400i to Staples today- And yes, an HP laser printer fits in the trunk!

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    global warming has it's good points. Top down today(maserati) after an early morning fur parka run. Hard to believe this day. Tomorrow is to be better! I have no doubt we will pay for this before winter is gone. The 400 is being charged up tonight for it's turn on the road.

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #168 full_garage, Feb 6, 2012
  19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Took a nice Sunday morning drive in similar weather: Sunny and mild with temperatures in the high 40's.

Also saw a black Aston Martin DB6 parked at a restaurant in one village and a white Jaguar XK140 FHC in front of car guy Zumbach's coffee shop in New Canaan.

Isn't it great to see these cars on the road in February?

20. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Lucky chap! Jay, got to say the White 400 is really groing on me! If you could only have 1 of those 3 which would you choose?

21. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Don't forget my 75 308gt4 being restored... I guess I'd probably keep the 412 if I had to only have one- cause around here you'll never ever see another- You see Mid engine Ferraris all the time- The 400i is great and of course the 5 speed is more desirable- but I like how smooth and beastly the 412 is and the auto suits it's character just fine.

I like having the little collection- each car is surprisingly different yet all have that Ferrari character.

Cannot believe how great the 400 and 412 are though... been a few weeks since I've driven them and they're just a real treat to drive.

22. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #172 full_garage, Feb 29, 2012
    Well... It is New England after all.

After three months of Spring we finally get a Winter day.

No driving but had to pull the girls out of the garage to move the 355...

I think they look pretty in the snow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I went for a ride today. Although it is close to 80 here today so I can't post a cool looking "Ferrari in the snow" picture. :D

24. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I can't post a photo either.
    I just turned Minneapolis from Missouri to have cam to valve clearances checked. A blizzard was due so I left about noon on Tuesday to return home to even more robust weather.
    I now understand why Ferrari branded sweat shirts are so thick and warm. The heater kept the windshield clear at +31 F in the snow, sleet and rain but I about froze. To be fair, it was actually warmer inside the car than outside. I also now know why brandy snifters are heated and turn up in apre ski scenes.
    The good news is no adjustments were needed, some big oil leaks got found and fixed, the cold start plugs were found and hooked up and the OEM installed air filters were replaced.
    I do have a picture of them and will post it under a fresh thread.
    Greg
    P.S. 14.5 MPG up and 14.0 back into a 20 MPH head wind

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WOW! That is really good.