250GTE Barn Find | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250GTE Barn Find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by MonoSpecchio, Jan 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    rat rod, just drive it and grin

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Julio, I sent you a pm, but your box is full. I will be in Madrid in February. Please pm me.
    Regards, Alberto

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Steel? Where did you see steel?

4. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    They shoot horses, don't they?

5. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Good News! I spoke to the current owner and he agreed to end the auction early just as long as I guarantee that this piece of Ferrari history gets a proper funeral...

6. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Would it cost any more to restore this car than it would to make a fake GTO? If not, you would have a much more desireable car in ten years than the fake GTO. If these cars continue on their progression, it would be worth it to save. I have seen worse, and less complete, pre-war cars, Corvettes, etc. that have been resurected. I say park it in a corner and wait a few years.

George

7. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sidney Allard?

8. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Looks like the front end from a 58' Packard-Studebaker, can't remember
    the model etc......

Mark

P.S.: definately a move up from a Yugo / Pacer .....fill in the blank_______

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    All sorts of Chris Crafts.

Regards, Alberto

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It's back......

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    ....and just in time for Cavallino!

12. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    i like the new paint job...looks like real quality, they even painted the tire!

13. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Amazing winter project. Any brave man out there..?

Best

14. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    This car is at Beverly hills car club site for sale , I wish i could buy it +try to bring it back to what it is supposed to look like , its at $ 29,000 bucks , Can somebody post a side view of what this car is supposed to look like ? I see the rear flares and fake testarossa style louvers , + i see some type of elongated front wheel well lips ( not sure of whats going on with those ) but i wanted a old front engine Ferrari for some time . I could never make it 100% original , but i am sure i could make a decent driver out of it . ( but i could not drive it with that body kit on there .)

15. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    its a huge waste of time and money, even at 29k to try and return it to anything near original. You would be better off waiting for a GTE thats been cannibalized and already has an american motor to pop up for sale, sometimes they do and sell for like 50-60k or so.

16. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .............................................................................Yes you are probably right, but i hate waiting , + i am not ready to buy tomorrow , but alot of people wait their whole lives for that perfect great deal that never happens , i bought a wrecked Diablo a few years ago that just about everyone said do not go near it , well i didn`t wait , + i fixed it +you know it turned out to be a great car ., still driving it today . but you are right that this car has been cannibalized. any idea why the front fenders could have been modified so extremely ?

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It would be prohibitively expensive to make a corner dark enough.

Earlier someone (Kare, IIRC) posted that the mechanicals had already been installed in 0117S so, no, it could never be original. But I don't even think the body is doable for less than the price of another, more restorable 250 GTE.

I don't think this is a starting point for anything other than bankruptcy.

18. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You know, I suspect that that is THE car Enzo was trying to build all along.

Let's face it, everything else he produced was rendered bland and shallow by girly-men underlings in silk suits who could not grasp the concept of plastic padding, a bog-brush paint job and rusty pushrods.

This is a MAN's car, where the very act of getting behind the wheel indicates an ignorance of tetanus and the hope that a beer can might work as a make-shift piston.

19. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Champboat/Champcar - PM me your email address and I will add you to the GTE Register's email blast of GTE's for sale. They do pop up from time to time.

As for this one, even though it is right across town from me (South-East LA, the nicest part of Beverly Hills) I think I will pass. You would think the guy doing the paint could have at least tried to smooth the bondo a little...

20. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .......................................................Thanks , i will PM you my Email address , I agree its got so much time in modifications but done very poorly , makes no sense , I googled the year make and model , what a beautiful car in stock form .

21. Orange1

Orange1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2008
    Flatland USA
    #46 Orange1, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    Found this one on a motorcycle forum in October of 09. Car was located in Montana, and when I called on it, my brother just happened to be hunting about 30 minutes away. He checked it out, made an offer, and about a year later it was moved along to another f-chatter.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/Cars/DSCN1628.jpg

22. Bill--GTC/4

Bill--GTC/4 Rookie

May 25, 2011
    I'm surprised no one was able to accurately identify this car. The terra cotta finish is the giveaway--it's a rare Ferrari with body by Chia. Yes, it's an original full-size Ferrari Chia Pet. Just water it regularly--or leave it out in the rain--and it will soon develop a lush, green, no-maintenance exterior. Man, I wish I had one.

Regards,

Bill

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  24. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    guaranteed acceptance to any Lemons race!

25. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T