Oil on manifold, no fluid in coolant reservoir | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil on manifold, no fluid in coolant reservoir

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ptjs360, Jun 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My vote would be for "yes". Slow down light and potential loss of coolant would be more than enough for me to want to have it checked out by a professional.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #27 Rifledriver, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

#1 The slow down light cannot in any way have anything to do with the coolant level. Do not let either distract you from the other. It is 2 seperate problems.

When we do services it used to be SOP to fill the coolant and let it determine its own proper level via overflow. The modern Ferrari owner cannot handle that and freaks out when there is a little spot of coolant on the floor and wants us to tow the car back in and check it out. In response to that most shops actually under fill the system a little to prevent that. My bet is that is what happened and they got carried away. It is also possible they left an air pocket and it found its way to the top. Also the caps are junk and no better one seems to be avaliable so some may have leaked out. Top it up, replace the cap and see what happens.

#2 get the slow down light diagnosed by someone who has an SD2. Cat temp ecu is probably bad but it is possible there is a real problem causing a cat overheat.

Read the owners manual. Some of your questions would have already been answered and you would not be relying on a bunch of self proclaimed experts on the internet. You really have no idea what our bona fides are but the owners manual is from the guys who built the car.

3. Stump

Stump Rookie

Apr 12, 2007
    The Carolinas
    A bad heat exchanger will lower the coolent leave to the point that the car over heats. when the car is running the trans oil pressure is higher and the oil flows into the cooling system. After the engine is shut off and the tran oil pressure drops the coolent is still under pressure and the coolent flows back in to the trans. It the coolent is getting lowe and ther is none on the floor I would slightly open the drain plugs and see if there is any coolent in the trans.