Who her has sold their 308 for a TR and never looked back? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who her has sold their 308 for a TR and never looked back?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stevel48, Dec 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I went from a 328GTS to a TR years ago, and except for a 348 Spider, all other Ferraris I have owned since have had a V12...

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Had an '84 308QV (the golden retriever of sports cars) then got a 4.0 liter Countach (belligerent), found my way into a 91 Testarossa (smooth, civilized and fast), just bought a carbed 78 BB (hopefully some of the smoothness of the TR with some of the raw aggression of the Countach).

I liked my 308, but would never trade the TR for one. The TR is easy to drive, fast enough to impress anyone, with the Capistro exhaust in it the sound in a tunnel is fabulous. The TR will cruise at silly speeds (not that I have ever done that, ahem). It is also less cramped and the technical aspects of it hold my interest when I am just poking under the hood. It has soul. As value for money (my Testarossa cost about $20k 2 years ago as a project car) there is no comparison.

Mind you, I tried a 512TR with a tubi once. Now that is a car with the lungs of Pavarotti. Forget your 355s, you want a 12...

3. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    "Now that is a car with the lungs of Pavarotti. Forget your 355s, you want a 12... "
    Nicely done John! 100% agree!
    You have to try a Testarossa with loud pipes (Not Stock) before you decide.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've messed with both for a bit, and quite frankly the qualities that each car imparts to the driver are very different, yet totally satisfying in their own ways.

Have I looked back per say, yes, but would I go back, no.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    While I did not own a 308 I did drive one when I was making my decision between a 308 and a TR. Maybe an unfair comparison as it was an 84 308i and thus only 205 HP as I recall, but I did not feel the power I wanted and also it was cramped. Then I found an 88 TR, and when the owner lifted the hood and I saw the engine the decision was made.
    Yes, a ton more expensive to maintain, but what nicer way to spend a winter afternoon than setting 48 valves?

6. lewis

lewis Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    South Florida
    I currently have a 328GTS, I just got a 1994 512TR (I have yet to spend much time with it as its getting a major and couple other items sorted out)

I will have it in a few weeks and I can give you a well informed personal opinion

If you do decide to got the TR route I would encourage you to do a lot of research - after my research I came to the conclusion that for me, a late 1994 model that had all the factory updates was the only way to go

7. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Of course it all depends on what you are looking for. The TR is not as nimble, and the handling is not razor sharp or go kart like as the 308. But it does have the flat 12, and the torque. It's more challenging on mountain roads, but that's what makes it fun too - that you have to "learn" to drive it properly(And don't lift in the corner :) )

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The TR is great. You must get acustom to driving her.. Once you get the hang of it, its so much fun. They require a heavy hand, you need to man handle the car. You need to tame the b*tch because that is what she is. Always to be in control or it will run wild on you. The car likes to be controlled and obeys when doing so. Give the car a tad bit of slack, and you lose her. I said it before and I will say it again. Porsche is the kind of car that gets all excited to go out, go to the movies, dinner, light romp on the highway and gives you a kiss goodnite (see ya tomorrow). The TR also likes to go out BUT... She wants to know right off the bat if you we're going to f*ck tonite. Those that own one know exactly what I mean.

I say go for it.. The TR is a wonderful car, lots of power, and is always ready to please.

The Chairman has spoken.. lol

R

9. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I said it before and I will say it again. Porsche is the kind of car that gets all excited to go out, go to the movies, dinner, light romp on the highway and gives you a kiss goodnite (see ya tomorrow). The TR also likes to go out BUT... She wants to know right off the bat if you we're going to f*ck tonite. Those that own one know exactly what I mean.

I say go for it.. The TR is a wonderful car, lots of power, and is always ready to please.

The Chairman has spoken.. lol

R[/QUOTE]

Now that is well said.

10. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Seems like quite a few TR owners have, indeed, "looked back". Also...regarding the 355...remember, the sound you are hearing in those videos is "exhaust-centered"; that is, you hear more of the exhaust/sound being an observer of the car than you do when driving it, especially if it's a GTB.

I have driven a beautiful 355 GTS with the roof off and a beautiful carbed 512BB. From the driver's perspective, the Boxer sounds much better. Why? Because you can hear those twelve throats gulping air as you stomp the loud pedal. Witht the 355, most of the sound is taking place quite a bit behind you; in a carbed boxer, it's directly behind you, as well as behind you pursuant to the exhaust.

It was similar with my Euro 308 GTB; BIG intake sound from the right air scoop and directly behind, as well. The carb intake growl is unique and addicting.

But, yes, from the observational point of view, the 355 sound is truly astounding.

Just my dos centavos.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I just love the music of my 87 TR with non stock exhaust. The more I drive it, the less big it feels. I think the visibility front and back on the hi- way is more than adequate.

Ago

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I had my TR for less than 1 week (I thought I was driving a caddy) before I ordered hyperflow race pipes & an X-ost muffler.....everything is OK now :)

13. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    While I was searching for a TR I got frustrated (couldnt find a really pristine example) so I looked at a 355. Once I opened the rear lid, I resumed my TR search (nothing like looking at the TR motor)...although I have to say the 355 with exaust does sound amazing

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #39 Spasso, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    Wow, that yellow is awesome, nice TR too!

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Mr. Chairman,
    Very well said, absolutely worth quoting.

17. zorro

zorro Karting

Jul 16, 2011
    If you can swing it keep both. I had a 95' 355GTB and purchased a euro spec 92'TR and have never looked back. The TR is intoxicating to drive and to look at. In a strange way those early 308's are starting to catch my eye too. I think the whole Magnum PI thing diminished the importance of the 308. then again, those who have spoken badly about the 308 have NEVER owned any Ferrari it appears. Bottom line, I would take a TR over a 308 any day.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T SELL YOURS!;)

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The new owner gave the 308 a repaint and Euro bumpers. He brought it to an all new level.
    I miss the character of the car. Totally different from the TR experience.

As I say with all of my cars (including the TR) , "Another hundred horsepower and it would be perfect".

20. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes.. Yes.. Greetings my man, hope all is well. No worries.. The sale has been pretty quiet lately. SOme interest at first and I thought she would sell. I will continue to diver her, romp her, and thoroughly enjoy her. We are going out tonite. The excitement is in the air.. Cool crisp winter air.. ahhh.. let the 12 sing thru the night as I blast her thru the gears as she begs for more.. She always does.. She's gonna get it tonite. She's gonna get it real good.. lol..

Drive on my TR brothers..

R

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They love the cold air.
    Slightly above freezing today, dry roads. Tempting.

22. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I say go for it. May the force be with you.

R

23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I say you're in love. And the force wants you to sell something other than the TR!

But every man has their own decisions; IF you sell it, somebody's gonna get a heck of a well sorted car.

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #49 Mr.Chairman, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    lol.. I am not ashamed to admit it.. I am in love.. What a day.. Woke up this morning and the garage still had the smell in it from last night.. Italian leather and emissions (lack of). Its intoxicating. Got in the garage and took a deep breathe.. ahhh.. ready for another round. Sat in her.. still nice and toasty - radiant heat working in the garage already.. Only the best for my b*tch.. Turned the key.. and roar - she was ready.. She just need some time to get her juices flowing so I gently rolled her out of the garage to let her warm up just a bit.. OK enough, lets go.. I dont like to let her sit too long... Its like she is going to get lazy on me.. Go thru the usual warm up routine.. First for about a block and a half.. then once turning on the main road its first then into 2nd right away.. Run second for a good 1 to 2 miles giving her a good push here and there to get everything nice e' nice.. Shes ready.. Drive about 4-5 more miles thru local roads getting her up to temp. Get her to route 80. sharp left hander to a long downhill entrance ramp leading staight on to the highway.. Its a long straight away boys.. for a good 4-5 miles.. Take the left hander.. take her to second.. firm grip on the wheel.. two hands.. down goes the hammer.. She is unleashed.. Screaming thru second, the sound of the 12 bouncing off the walls to your right and left, smoothe shift to 3rd.. accelarating hard, her ass planting in the ground.. feeling the blood flowing thru your veins.. Oh yes.. to 4th.. Ferocious.. she wants more.. She wispering in your ear to give her more.. Come on .. pedal down.. cars parting in front of you like the red sea.. Everyone is moving out of the way to give you a clear lane and path.. Everyone wants to hear the b*tch roar.. Its like being in the car and a person next to you is screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. to 5th.. still giving you everything she has.. She does not want to disappoint.. Large swooping right hander in sight taking you to the turnpike.. Down to 4th.. blipping the throttle between shifts.. to 3rd.. approaching the apex.. you know whats going to happen next.. throttle down.. and thru the gears all over again.. what a rush.. no matter where we are going, what direction I have to travel, this is the routine and route I take first.. Ahh.. the TR.. In love.. oh yes.. In Lust.. oh yes.. I'm done.. Keys in hand and I'm going back out..
    So confused. lol

R

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The day you sell it I am going to send you the above post.