French Quarter Apartment | FerrariChat

French Quarter Apartment

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Bertocchi, Nov 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    A Career change has me looking for a new apartment. I am considering the FQ and/or the Garden District. Any input regarding either will be appreciated.

2. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I can't tell you much other than the french quarter you're going to pay a lot more to get something that's a decent size. I think it would be cool to live down there though!

3. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    As far as the Garden District, between sixth and Louisiana on the Riverside of Prytania has a good choice of Condo/Apartments and that area of Magazine is good for shopping/nightlife. The LGD around Coliseum Square park is also a good choice and value. If I was going to the Quarter I would look to the lower riverside (Jax square to Esplenade on the riverside of Royal) as being quieter/more livable although the lakeside of dauphine is the cheapest.

4. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Thank you. I am a single guy so I do not need much space. I have always lived in the "Burbs" and to experience life in the most International city in the US.

5. achenator

achenator Karting

Dec 23, 2009
    Abita Springs, La.
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Warehouse District?

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    FQ and Garden District are two worlds of their own. What types of things are important to you?

7. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    My best advice would be to move uptown near the universities...

That's where the women are.

8. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

that's where I live :D

but yep, there's a lot of college girls around here too, especially around Maple Street and the coffee shops.

9. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I am not after college girls...a little too young. I would like nice neighborhood, off street parking, and a washer/dryer. It would be nice to walk to FQ.
    I am currently commuting from Slidell to the new racetrack in Avondale everyday.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Then the warehouse district is perfect for you. Plenty of mixed-age night activities. Bigger apartments for the same money you would spent in the French Quarter. Close enough to the FQ should you wish to take a $6 cab ride there. Easier off-street parking than the French Quarter. Very close to every roadway you could need to get around the city.

I've lived in the University Uptown area, Broadmoore, French Quarter, Warehouse District, and now Lakeview.

Go with the Warehouse District for the best mix of fun, safety, and ease of access to the rest of the city. Not to mention the great Rouse's grocery that just opened two weeks ago in the old Sewell Cadiallac location on Baronne and Girod.

11. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

^^^ I agree.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Is NOLA as wild as everyone infers it is or is it just a bunch of good marketing? I've never been there but want to go someday.

13. xraes

xraes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2011
    NC
    Try visiting around Feb. 18-21 this year and let me know what you think:)

Rodney

14. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

It's even wilder than you've heard.

15. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Dropped a client off today near Audobon Park and that area is beautiful. St.Charles Ave. is terrific. I think that is the place if you stay on the good side of Napolean?

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I hate to break it to you, but there are no "good" parts aside from maybe Audubon Place. I have at least half a dozen friends who have dealt with holdups, robberies, car BS, etc...

Safest places in the New Orleans area are Lakeview, Old Metairie, and the Warehouse District.

I lived Uptown for a few years and could tell you several very disturbing stories...

17. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Boy that is a real shame. During my exploration of the city I have seen several homes and neighborhoods that must have been grand. The town must be missing out on property taxes too. New Orlenians should retake their city...it happened in NYC.

18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The good news is that as the charter schools have time to affect kids from their first day of school until graduation that we will see a massive difference in the crime problems. Those schools are already doing very well all things considered so in probably about 8 years the crime rate will be greatly reduced. Of course, that is only my humble opinion.

It's a great time to be in New Orleans!

19. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Both "sides" of Napolean are good.

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I guess everything is relative.

Wasn't good when my cousin's wife got carjacked/kidnapped on one side. Also not good when a friend got cut during a botched robbery on the other!

The being forced into her car from the front steps of her own house at gunpoint and made to drive two thugs around before running for her life was defintely worse than the stiches my other friend had ;)

21. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

**** can happen anywhere in new orleans, but honestly, as weird as it sounds, that's part of what I love about the city. Keeps it real.

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  23. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fixed it for ya. :D :(

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    A friend of my wifes got car jacked on two different occasions on Esplanade. I understand in New Orleans if no one is killed it's not a crime, well then again, typically if someone gets killed no one is ever convicted. I was under the impression that their conviction rate for murder is near zero, anyone heard that?

But with a new Mayor and I believe new chief of police I hold hope that things will improve.

25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    When times are tough crime goes up. We need to get everyone a job so they do not have to revert to car jacking and robbery. Any place can be dangerous. I really like the area around Audobon Park. Very nice! French Quarter has been ruled out for me.