Ferrari Service shop in Northern VA | FerrariChat

Ferrari Service shop in Northern VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by MikeB1966, Nov 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeB1966

MikeB1966 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Mike Brennan
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the Ferrari world this year and need some help. I bought a 360 from a friend and inherited a 250 GTE from my father. The 360 needs a belt service and the 250 has been sitting for 3-4 years in my mothers garage so it needs some help. To my pleasant surprise I find I have choices of where to go in the DC metro area for Ferrari service. I need to know what everyone's experience is with them and why someone might recommend one shop over the other. I know of the following shops: FOW, DEW Motorcars, Exotic car specialties, Radcliffe, Competizione and Algar. Radcliffe, Competizione and Algar are all a bit of a hike for me while FOW, DEW motors and Exotic car specialties are fairly close. I would rather use someone close by. I know these cars are expensive to maintain and temperamental so i want to get the right guys to help me with them. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mike

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Mike,
    Welcome. Competizione is worth the extra 20 minute drive. Try to time your trip to avoid traffic, and the added distance should be transparent.

Fernando and Richard are the best in the business. While I am sure most anyone can change a timing belt on a 360, competizione and DEW would be the only options IMHO to touch your GTE. Good luck, I hope to see the 250 sometime soon.

Caphill likes this.
  3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    there is also Josh Hill at ECS in Sterling. Trained at Motion Products and worked for Tom Shaughnessey for awhile.

Exotic Car Specialties
    www.ECSofVirginia.com
    201 Davis Dr. Suite L
    Sterling, VA 20164

4. Smaug

Smaug Karting

May 9, 2011
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Jeff

+1

I have heard nothing but great things about Competizione, and I am sure their sterling reputation is well deserved, but I, like you, live in NoVa and wanted something closer.

I visited Josh awhile ago to learn more about him and his shop and was very impressed. Also got some good references for him. Took my 430 to Josh yesterday and couldn't be happier. He clearly knows what he is doing, and he is happy to take the time to explain everything. His pricing is very competitive, and he is generous with his time.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Competizione all day, every day, period. This from personal experience, they are professional and knowledgeable on every level.

I have heard good things about Algar, they have a top master mechanic there, believe he has competed in Italy at the factory in some sort of Ferrari mechanic testing.

Josh and Radcliffe, never used, but have also heard good things about them as well.

I would only take the GTE to Competizione.

Caphill likes this.
  6. MalteseVA

MalteseVA Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    DEW Motorcars is the best around for vintage cars.

7. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    Being from the NY/NJ market, i had my pick of the litter when it came to factory service....

Recently relocated to Richmond VA and I was disappointed when i didn't have anyone nearby. On a recommendation from another owner i went to Competizione.

BEST EXPERIENCE BY FAR.

Excellent prices. Personal service. Overall just a great place to work with.

They can arrange pickup/delivery of your car at reasonable rates.

8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Competizione +1

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Competizione, Radcliffe, and ECS are all good choices.

By the way, welcome to Fchat.

Regards,
    Matt B

10. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    I wish my dad gave me a 250 GTE. You lucky sod!

11. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Josh at ECS is very knowledgeable and always goes out of his way to assist.

12. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    What are the experiences from members here with Ferrari of Washingtons service?

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Consistently excellent.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just had some work done at ECS and all work was done timely, properly and cost effectively. Josh is very easy to work with.

15. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought you quit drinking? :)

16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    FOW's service has been good, especially on my newer cars over the years.

Also had good experiences with Josh at ECS, Algar, and Competizione.

I've heard from lots of people good feedback on your other named shops (Radcliffe and DEW Motors). I've not had the pleasure of using them.

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    :)

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M

Please elaborate.......on FOW, not the drinking LOL :D

19. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 powerpig, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    You can find my rants about FOW by searching my user name. The last time was when they had my 308 for four months to fix an oil leak. They found other stuff and the bill came to around $3000. Got the car back with the rear view mirror detached and on the floor, leather on the driver's side was all scuffed up and in bad shape. It was also out of gas. To top it off, they didn't fix the original problem, which was the oil leak. They did fix the damage they did to the leather.

As far as my Maserati, $350 to tell me they couldn't fix a switch and recommended another shop to check it out. They wanted $650 to mount four tires and do an alignment. Took it to the Mercedes Dealer who had the same alignment machine. Cost was $180. They also order their tires from tire rack. No problem there, but the mark them up around 200%.

Unless they have changed radically recently, there is no way I would let them touch my cars. They just want you to hand them a blank check and ask no questions.

On the bright side, Josh at ECS has been doing my work. In fact, he just did a service on my Maserati this past Friday. He also has my Ferrari in for a brake job and other work. He's a good, honest guy that cares about the customer.

20. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Wow, sounds like you really got screwed on that deal. When did this happen?

21. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Ferrari thing was around 3.5 years ago. The Maserati deal was 2.5 years ago. Hopefully, they've gotten better. They certainly couldn't be any worse!

22. MikeB1966

MikeB1966 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Mike Brennan
    Guys, Thanks for all the responses and info. I spoke to Charles at DEW Motorcars about the 250. I'll probably have them pick it up next month. They said they can do the 360 as well and have a factory trained Ferrari mechanic on staff as well as the test equipment for the car. I think I'll wait to see how it goes with the 250.

23. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    is DEW motorcars the one on mercure dr. in sterling?

24. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    That is correct, next to Funktion Auto and Sterling Hot Rods etc.

25. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #25 kvisser, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I ran into Chuck at Katie's just a few weeks ago. The shop has reopened its doors to external customers. Heck, its worth the trip just to see what cars are lurking in the bays. If you have an Italian vehicle with some needs, you will want to consider Chuck and his highly experienced techs and craftsmen to look at you car.

I would call first to make an appointment.

regards

ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SVLT and F1 Tico like this.