R.I.P: Marco Simoncelli (Moto GP) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

R.I.P: Marco Simoncelli (Moto GP)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4rePhill, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  2. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Sure, sorry it was in my title... Jimmy Leeward (and many fans) at the Reno Air Races...

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Aww my bad I forgot.

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    When I watched thee live BBC coverage the news was that he was consious adn being treated at the medical center on track. That was a relief at that moment so it was a big shock when they said he had succumed. Anyone know yet what caused his death?

5. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95634

He wasn't conscious at all.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  7. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I just watched my DVR of the race not knowing what happened. I just feel numb after last week and now this.

Is it just me or did he look limp before he was even hit? Even my wife commented on that before I mentioned it. I wonder if he had an unrelated medical issue prior to the hit.....obviously the hit caused severe injury.

8. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    If you watch ESPN race coverage, after the wreck a corner worker was walking off the track with Marcos helmet, the impact from Valentino Rossi tore the helmet strap, you could see the torn strap dangling but still buckled in the middle

9. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    #34 burner42, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Did he wear an airbag suit? If so, it seems to me that his suit already had inflated before Edwards and Rossi hit him?

11. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    Sorry, a little confused here, are you saying Rossi and Edwards should walk away from the crash? Or walk away completely for MotoGP??

They shouldn't walk away from MotoGP altogether, we already lost 1 great rider today, we don't need to lose two of the greatest as a result of this terrible accident.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    just had a chance to watch the race. RIP marco

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow. Such a sad day for the MotoGP world. What an awful shame to lose one of the most exciting up and coming riders of this era. My heart goes out to all of his friends, family, and fans, which I certainly was.

14. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A great personality
    God Speed SIC....

15. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
  16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The airbag suit wouldn't protect you from having your neck ran over by another bike.

Edwards hitting in the chest might have been fatal by itself, but Rossi's definitely would result in serious injury most of the time. Imagine having an impact so strong the helmet strap was ripped out of the helmet. It would be like the snap of a hangman's noose. He was probably dead before he stopped sliding.

Probably the most gruesome bike racing wreck I have ever seen.

17. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    What a loss. There will be no replacing Marco; he was unique.

18. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    R.I.P. Such a strong competitor.

He will be missed.

19. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Such a feak accident. 99% of times that bike should not arc back on the path of other riders yet somehow front got traction. R.I.P. Marco, loss of a great talent.

20. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    The front caught traction because he tried to save it. He inadvertently turned a simple lowside into a fatal highside. Hindsight is 20/20 though, if it was me I would have tried to save it as well.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #46 4re Nut, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    +1; RIP.

Not in a racing incident, but another racer lost last week: Off-road racer Rick Huseman killed in plane crash

22. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Sad day in motorcycle racing. Its something that in the back of everyones mind every time you take the grid, but its something that you have to ignore in order to go fast. Sometimes it catches up with a rider though. RIP Marco.

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Dave Despain opened WindTunnel last night with a Wheldon mention then the news of Simoncelli's death and then about the Huseman accident, crazy I tell ya.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Is there any video of what happened to him before the collision? All I have seen is the impact. Was it just simply that he lost it going into the corner? When he came into view on the shot I have seen, he looked to be leaning incredibly low, actually already on the ground. With the g-forces pushing one to the outside of a curve, how was it that the trajectory of the bike changed so dramatically where he came back across the track? If the front end bit, wouldn't the load just flip him towards the outside of the track?

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Walk away from the sport. Colin Edwards will be 38 and he has been competing at a high level for a LONG time. He surely has the talent to continue, but why? So many racers stick around and the risk doesn't decrease.

Valentino Rossi probably a little young to consider walking away, but he's a 7-time champion - what's left? He's had some tough injuries, including his shoulder and his leg - that has to weigh on him.

It's easy to armchair quarterback after a terrible accident, and maybe I am a little emotional over it. At times I think it's a young person's sport - my own experiences in life as I age show that I'm not nearly as brave as I once was.